Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• September 18, 2019, 07:42:11 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best Ever Gaming Moments?  (Read 11138 times)

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Ever Gaming Moments?
« on: January 05, 2003, 05:51:54 AM »
What do you think are the best moments in gaming? Ones that made you go 'wow', or made you think?
Here are my pick:

Final Fantasy VII
When Sephiroth killed Aeris. That was perhaps the most brilliant moment in gaming ever, despite being a very sad event. It was excellent as it evoked emotions, I asked 'why? why her?' the fact is no game has bettered this.

Half-life
A lot of fantastic moments in this game, but my pick is Suface tension. I really felt like I was in the middle of a desperate war

Half-life: Opposing force
The room in which the acid starts to rise, & the platform you are standing on starts collapsing. That scared the
hell out of me, I still love that part.

Anyway, post your favourite moments here (no spamming or any crap like that though remember)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:07:47 AM by eralp »

DiaZ

• MSN Messenger - virgildonati82@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best ever gaming moments?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 06:12:47 AM »
Here are my picks:

- Sad moments: Probably Metal Gear Solid wins the prize here. The scene after the 2nd battle with Sniper Wolf and the end in which Meryl dies are pretty sad. The music fits very well and helps creating such feeling.

- "Wow" moments: I remember back in the days, when Unreal was the latest game technology available. After that river map, I started the next one on a little cave, and when I got out of the cave.... My God. A huge castle with all the bits and bobs in front of my nose. Even though it ran at like 10 fps on my P75 / Voodoo2, I was impressed.

- I don't know how to describe this other feeling I have when I am about to replay Zelda: Ocarina of Time. So many great things and moments happen in this masterpiece, that when I am going to start a new game, I feel like I'm going to make an epic journey. The same thing happens when I'm going to replay No One Lives Forever. That game is also full of great moments.

- Another thing that might be surprising is how a good soundtrack can make you want to play a game. A perfect example is MDK. God did that game have an impressive soundtrack. It gets players (or hell at least me) to go further into the game just to listen to the music. Soul Reaver also did that for me, although not so much for the soundtrack (which was great anyways), but for the awesome story.

Notice most of the games I mention here are not first person shooters...  even though I am a fan of the genre and most of the times I refuse to play games that are not. Ahhhh, see what good games can do :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 06:19:43 AM by DiaZ »

K u F F i

• ICQ Messenger - 87102489
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 06:18:07 AM »
When I first played a game that uses OpenGL, daamnnn that looked good :D

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 06:19:56 AM »
FFVII had this scene where these massive Weapon dudes awake. It's really cool scene. FFVII has lots of other amazing moments as well.

Unreal - The first time you come out of that crashed ship and see that wide valley ahead of you - The graphics, the living world & the music - It's so damn impressive even today. This game is full of moments like this - Each level is so damn excellent.

Half-Life & its mods have many excellent moments as well. Excellence of these moments is due to their cinematic feel.  
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 06:22:41 AM »
The moterbike scene in FF7, that was good. Also in FF8 where the Tarantula robot chases you through the street, that was classic.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 06:28:09 AM »
- Another thing that might be surprising is how a good soundtrack can make you want to play a game. A perfect example is MDK. God did that game have an impressive soundtrack. It gets players (or hell at least me) to go further into the game just to listen to the music.
Yeah - MDK had some nice cinematic background musics. It really was an impressive game but I only played it through once and that was five years ago.  
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

bullis1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 09:16:52 AM »
I think that one of the best moments is the first time you play DooM, in the second level. You go down the elevator in the lights, and look out the window. You see an outdoor area, with a chainsaw high atop a pillar. You have no idea how to get to it. This was a really cool moment for me. I was a pretty small kid at the time, and when I finally figured out how to get the chainsaw, it was all I used to kill monsters for the next few levels.

Also, the second level of Unreal, where you step out of the crashed ship into the huge outdoor canyon, with towering waterfalls, flying birds, hopping rabbits, lush plants,  the sun shining brightly, it was all so amazing. It still amazes me.

The last boss in the third episode of Duke3D was also really memorable. Coming up on the elvator, and then seeing a complete football field, not to mention the giant alien overlord, really got the adrenaline pumping. The cheerleader were also a nice touch :o .
Go ahead, quote me!
Visit the UltraSoft website!
Click Here!

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 05:29:58 PM »
you skank i openend this topic at the old amc  :D

my moment was, like before, the temple map in that ninja psx1 game. THAT WAS SCARY!
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2003, 08:29:23 PM »
some moments at operation flashpoint are fun....for example in the level after you got captured by the russian resistance, boy, these guys are just lying there doing nothing...I still don't get what you have to do there :eek: also serious sam is funny :lol:  
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

DiaZ

• MSN Messenger - virgildonati82@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2003, 09:50:49 PM »
Yup, even though Unreal has no "great moments" at all, it's full of levels that make you go Wow. Besides that castle I've mentioned and the 2nd map, there is the "Bluff eversmoking" map with that monastery on top of a high cliff.... when the last door on the "stone row" opens and you see the whole thing, it's pretty amazing. There's also the "Sunspire" map with that huge mountain with rooms and elevators inside. Getting to the top of the map and then looking down has the power of cutting anyone's breating ;) Unreal makes a real good use of indoor-outdoor transitions to amaze players.

What the hell, I'm wanting to play the game again just to look at the maps!

/me launches Unreal.exe

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2003, 12:00:50 AM »
My favourite level for Unreal has got to be when you battle the titans in the trench just befroe the big spaceship. That was great, I was awestruck at the size of the spaceship, not to mention the titans.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 01:25:39 AM »
It's refreshing to see some nice canyons after spending hours in those mines (third & fourth level). That one level in the end on some floating island was way cool too. Music was so beautiful.

Oh - I think it's time to reinstall Unreal;)  

Stef

• AMC Staff
    • MSN Messenger - stephmeganck@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gordonnukem@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2003, 03:31:47 AM »
what keep me out of voice is  the texture and espesially the sky in serious sam

vue trough the  sniper riffle in RTCW & MOHAA  also the terible ambiance at the end of MOHAA with the gaz mask and the sound of your breath...

music of HL all those cut scene...one especially the one at the end of Piece like us when you are resurected

the replay of a stage when you drive a car with collin mc rae II

much more but i don't remember for the moment

the future world champion...in  2 or 3 years

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 05:08:18 AM »
Lol, thanks for ressurecting this post Eralp :D (y)

I'd have to say the final battle in Serious Sam, and the 1st fight with the Uber Solday in RTCW. Both of those encounters kicked ass.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 12:17:43 AM »
In Quake 2 I loved it when I saw 'The Big Gun' for the first time (in the skybox). Quake 2 has so cool skyboxes.  
Pages: [1] 2 3

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top