Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• September 18, 2019, 08:24:15 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best Ever Gaming Moments?  (Read 11140 times)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Best ever gaming moments?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 04:13:09 PM »
In the 1998 or even 1997 when Goldeneye came out it was true masterpiece. PC had only some Q2 at the moment. In Goldeneye you could plant bombs, shoot cameras, rescue hostages, take photos of secret Russian satelites, blow up the rockets, ride a tank. Tell me it wasn't revolutionary in that years ! It was one of the best games ever, and VERY high marks on Gamespot and everywhere just prove that. And Goldeneye went before Half-Life !

Goldeneye received a good feedback among the console community - N64 was considered to be a powerful machine back then. However it could NEVER match any PC game. "some Q2"? Q2 was light years ahead of Goldeneye - the graphical quality and level design was far better and more advanced. And as for rescuing hostages, taking photos of Russian satellites etc. - Would any of that fit to a PC fps like Q2?
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

_

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2005, 04:56:40 PM »
Sorry, but maybe Goldeneye was "revolutionar", but who cares... i tell you it's funny in its crapness and  not enjoyable at all...

LAW

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005, 04:43:49 AM »
Goldeneye received a good feedback among the console community - N64 was considered to be a powerful machine back then. However it could NEVER match any PC game. "some Q2"? Q2 was light years ahead of Goldeneye - the graphical quality and level design was far better and more advanced. And as for rescuing hostages, taking photos of Russian satellites etc. - Would any of that fit to a PC fps like Q2?

I saw many PC players starving to play Goldeneye back then. Yes Quake 2 had better graphic quality. But level design ? Excuse me, but Quake 2 original levels are like shoe boxes. Really. Quake 2 was simple, brainless shooter ( but nice ). Of course rescuing hostages etc wouldn't fit to Q2 just because it was so simple. I played Goldeneye just after it was released. And after playing all that simple FPS' ( Doom, Duke etc = fun but simple ) I was shocked. Goldeneye would be a success even on PC not only on N64. Today, there is many Goldeneye clones for PC ( only good games have clones, many sequels = money ) like Nightfire, Agent Under Fire, Everything Or Nothing, Goldeneye Rogue Agent but all of them are far from the original. Imagine, after playing all that simple PC FPS shooters back then I was amazed. Why ? If you like Bond serie it will boost the playablity to the maximum. Levels didn't shock with the architecture. But they were nice, realistic, based on the movie. Enemy models had photos of actors on their faces. It was really action packed game. Realistic enemies. If you shooted their arm, their arm were hurt. Tell me that Q2 has such feature. Also Goldenye was mission based with nice objective I mentioned in the previous post. Q2 and Goldeneye were different games. But I am sure that Goldeneye was a grandfather of todays brainy and realistic games.

SpaceBandit3000

• MSN Messenger - spaceranger3000@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpaceBandit3000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2005, 04:51:11 AM »
They're two different games, prone to have two different types of storytelling.  Fighting alien/mutants doesn't fit with espionage/secret agent, and vice versa.

-Ben

"Information isn't meant to be free.  You see, we have a conflict of interest." -Victor Ramsey

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2005, 05:19:31 AM »
I saw many PC players starving to play Goldeneye back then.

I didn't. Well - maybe a few but when they finally had a chance to try it - they were majorly dissappointed.

But level design ? Excuse me, but Quake 2 original levels are like shoe boxes. Really.

Colored lighting, awesome details, awesome mood, awesome soundtrack, awesome sounds and neat ideas across the game - Goldeneye had NOTHING. The levels looked poor and the graphics were shitty.

Goldeneye would be a success even on PC not only on N64.

It would NOT.  

Today, there is many Goldeneye clones for PC ( only good games have clones, many sequels = money ) like Nightfire, Agent Under Fire, Everything Or Nothing, Goldeneye Rogue Agent but all of them are far from the original.

All of them most likely better than the original Goldeneye but it just takes more than that to impress the PC world. A Goldeneye or a clone just won't work in a PC world.

But they were nice, realistic, based on the movie.

I love the movies but I'm not interested in revisiting them in a game.

Realistic enemies. If you shooted their arm, their arm were hurt. Tell me that Q2 has such feature.

It didn't - but I doubt that factor alone can save Goldeneye.

But I am sure that Goldeneye was a grandfather of todays brainy and realistic games.

Oh please cut the nonsense. PC's realism boom was started by R6 and Action Quake.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 05:20:21 AM by MSandt »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

SpaceBandit3000

• MSN Messenger - spaceranger3000@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpaceBandit3000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2005, 11:47:57 AM »
I think we can certainly agree that the storylines\plots for most shooters have been better developed in recent years.  Now 'shooting gallery' FPS games are referred to as 'old school', though there's nothing wrong with that.  I've just gotten used to games being a form or storytelling with direct interaction on the part of the 'reader'.  Just me.

-Ben

"Information isn't meant to be free.  You see, we have a conflict of interest." -Victor Ramsey

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2005, 11:16:43 PM »
Same here, I like both insane games (Serious Sam) and storytelling games (Half-Life) but not some game that wants to be both (Doom3)
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

HighWire

• Survival
  • The ConstruKction of Light
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2005, 02:24:06 AM »
Same here, I like both insane games (Serious Sam) and storytelling games (Half-Life) but not some game that wants to be both (Doom3)
[snapback]105903[/snapback]

Pfft.  :closedeyes: I don't share that opinion. Doom 3 was fucking great.

Anyways, Operation Flashpoint once gave me the best gaming moment ever. I played a mission over LAN with a friend of mine (covert-ops) and it took 2 hours to finish it.! (well, actually we decided to wipe out the entire enemy force with the two of us instead of just completing our objectives. :biggrin2: )
"...I need to code in Rusty's balls as well." - James

Quakis

• MSN Messenger - quakis_962@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2005, 05:28:50 AM »
Best gaming moment - Playing duke online for the first time.

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2005, 06:30:22 AM »
I have never had as much fun as playing Platoon Tc coop (& dm. especially in Beirut) with my brother. It's just... You can't beat that kind of gameplay, it's everlasting.

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

GreatWasabi

• Zoned out on TES IV: Oblivion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dyveira
    • View Profile