Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• March 19, 2019, 11:09:21 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: EDuke requests  (Read 120749 times)

Usurper

EDuke requests
« on: August 24, 2003, 03:10:58 AM »
Hope nobody minds if I break out my wishlist for the new team.  I think I recall voxels and custom projectiles being on the menu.  Here's another couple things I'm jonesin' for:

Matteus gave us the wacky findnearactor code that never made much sense to me.  It would be much easier if the code for the enemies to attack/respond to the player could be modified to a generic attack/respond to "enemy" code.  Then use variables to set enemy types in each enemy's code.  By default, the player could be included in the enemy list if not defined unless a specific "friendly" code was stuck in the enemy code.  That would retain backwards compatibility.

Zoom.  For the love of Uncle Jebus, we gotta have some real zoom.  That whole stretching Duke thing is insane.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 03:22:12 AM »
I thought I'd pin this as it's useful for reference .etc ;) Well one little request which I'm not sure if it's been done yet is to increase the amount of quotes we can have, at the moment 197 (I think that's the max) isn't enough.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 03:22:24 AM by Jblade35 »

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 05:16:27 AM »
Sound  very good to me, here's what I'd like. (i know it may sound silly or simple, but this is what i would want)

I would want the crosshair to detect if it's aiming at an enemy (crosshair color goes red) or a friend (color goes green).

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

Richard213

• View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 08:43:01 AM »
i would like a txt file with all the commands and what they do  ;)  

Renegado

• View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 09:19:46 AM »
Matteus gave us the wacky findnearactor code that never made much sense to me.á It would be much easier if the code for the enemies to attack/respond to the player could be modified to a generic attack/respond to "enemy" code.á Then use variables to set enemy types in each enemy's code.á By default, the player could be included in the enemy list if not defined unless a specific "friendly" code was stuck in the enemy code.á That would retain backwards compatibility.
Yes. But this is going to be one of the last features we┤re going to add, we┤ll  need time to add that.
Zoom. For the love of Uncle Jebus, we gotta have some real zoom. That whole stretching Duke thing is insane.
Yes, we┤ve started to plan how to make that effect and possibly we┤re going to add it.
I'm not sure if it's been done yet is to increase the amount of quotes we can have, at the moment 197 (I think that's the max) isn't enough.
Yes. Most probably in the next release.
I would want the crosshair to detect if it's aiming at an enemy (crosshair color goes red) or a friend (color goes green).
ala Serious Sam? Interesting, it can be a switchable feature controlled by a variable like the Tripbomb who can be switched between laser and timer. Only changing a number you can switch between that type of crosshair or the classic one.
i would like a txt file with all the commands and what they do
lol! Of course, explaining all the new features.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 09:22:40 AM by Renegado »
I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate!
-RTCM┤s EDuke Source Code Development Center
-Eduke Developer┤s Journal
-Duke Espa˝a

Richard213

• View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 09:26:25 AM »
cool!

Revenant

• Enlightened
    • MSN Messenger - amund_deathmetal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 02:56:58 PM »
I want to request something IMPORTANT! That you can make the enemies come to life before they see the player, understand?
I mean, now if i want to shoot a pigcop far away with the sniper rifle he won't die, because he hasn't "seen" me and came to life. BUT with such a modification I CAN shoot the pigcop without having him to "see" me first which would:
1: Allow stealth and sniper missions
2: Improve gameplay

Usurper

EDuke requests
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 07:49:24 PM »
There's a couple ways to make the enemies awake prior to seeing you.

There's the "espawn" command.  You'd have to put a marker of some kind and have it espawn the correct enemy at startup.  Pretty sure anything that gets spawned by espawn is immediately active.

There's also the old space shuttle trick.  The space shuttle is initialized at startup the way you want enemies to be.  You can do some tricks in the code with cactor to turn it into other enemies at startup.

As for stealth, well, you CAN detect the shade of the sector that Duke is standing in, and code your enemies to ignore him if it's too dark to see him and things like that.  It's hard to do much more without radiant light sources.  I'm pretty sure you can also detect when enemies face you or not, so you can code the ability to sneak up behind them.

Oh, that reminds me, another request: Matteus said we can't have variable running speed for some reason.  That's insane.  Probably pre-calculates the steroids speed or something minor based off it at con compilation.  Can we get around that?

Richard213

• View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 08:22:51 PM »
i got another request, on the iced version make a con command set howw many episodes so when you play you dont go down beyond  to the blank spots like

maxepisodes 5

definevolumename 0 L.A. MELTDOWN
definevolumename 1 LUNAR APOCALYPSE
definevolumename 2 SHRAPNEL CITY
definevolumename 3 THE BIRTH
definevolumename 4 WHATEVER

FreeFrag

• ICQ Messenger - 144729090
    • MSN Messenger - blaster_b4m
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FreeFragSGS
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - freefragsgs
    • View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 09:46:33 PM »
Perhaps with the crosshair choices also make a choice for a real laser site ie LameDuke?

Also, do the same thing for walls that can be done for floors/ceilings. Detection of shade, palette, texture, etc.

If you enable voxels, could you make a primitive to allow body areas? Have a primitive that assembles different voxels to form one enemy, then group them so that if one part is missing it will probably kill the rest of the group. You get what I'm saying, yes?

Yet another would be visibility detection of a sector.

My last request would be to allow different fonts for quotes. Define the start of a quote font and define its ending. The order of characters would stay the same. With this, the definequote primitive should be set as 'definequote <FONT> <QUOTE TEXT>'.
"In truth, I am nothing but a plodding mediocrity - please observe, a plodding mediocrity - for a mere mediocrity does not go very far, but a plodding one gets quite a distance."
-Benjamin Cardozo

Revenant

• Enlightened
    • MSN Messenger - amund_deathmetal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 11:03:55 PM »
YeaH! And with the laser site, you sorta "orient the laser to the wall"! So it would move until it hits an obstacle!

bullis1

• View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 03:35:03 AM »
I think this may already be implemented in Eduke 2.0, but if it's not, then I want it:
Be able to say what hitag/lotag a spawned actor will have. That way, you could have an actor spawn a sector effector, musicsfx, activator, or other object like that with a certain hitag/lotag. This would be a useful addition I think.
Go ahead, quote me!
Visit the UltraSoft website!
Click Here!

Usurper

EDuke requests
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2003, 06:31:39 AM »
i got another request, on the iced version make a con command set howw many episodes so when you play you dont go down beyond to the blank spots

That's already in there.  I tested with 5 eps, didn't have any blank spots.  The variable is MAXEPISODENUMBER I think.

Perhaps with the crosshair choices also make a choice for a real laser site ie LameDuke?

You can do this with the shotspark projectile already, but it doesn't flatten to the wall (but then, neither did lameduke's really).  Regular Duke had the shotspark actor split up into shotspark1 (pistol), shotgun, and chaingun.  The trick is to just use shotspark1 for everything bullet based.  Need a gun that's more powerful?  Shoot 2 shotsparks at once.  You can add spread to shotspark1 as well to emulate the shotgun.  You could use chaingun for the laser site.  Make sure you set its damage to -5 or so (due to random increments of damage).  Then you'll need to code the enemies to ignore it (well, I suppose you could code them so they'd have a chance of noticing it, but you don't want them to react as if they were shot).  

Also, do the same thing for walls that can be done for floors/ceilings. Detection of shade, palette, texture, etc.

Agreed.  For the record, you can get/set wall properties so long as you know the wall's number.  This means you'll have to have your map built already.  Doesn't help with flattening custom scorch marks and such though. :(

Yet another would be visibility detection of a sector.

Pretty sure that's in there.  I don't think there's currently any sector property you can't get.

I think this may already be implemented in Eduke 2.0, but if it's not, then I want it:
Be able to say what hitag/lotag a spawned actor will have. That way, you could have an actor spawn a sector effector, musicsfx, activator, or other object like that with a certain hitag/lotag. This would be a useful addition I think.

Couldn't do it with a default sector effector/musicfx/activator/etc. (I don't think the game will let you spawn them, at least not yet), but considering you can hand-code basic sector effectors now, you could pull and "ifspawnedby" in the code and set its hitag/lotag depending on what spawned it.

Usurper

EDuke requests
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 06:42:38 AM »
Tested all the amounts for the episodes.  1-8 all work.  We should probably move the titles up a dozen or more pixels so that 8 eps actually fit.  There's plenty of room.

FreeFrag

• ICQ Messenger - 144729090
    • MSN Messenger - blaster_b4m
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FreeFragSGS
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - freefragsgs
    • View Profile
    • Email
EDuke requests
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2003, 06:45:36 AM »
Or make a scroll-thingy using those snazzy green arrows in the system art section.
"In truth, I am nothing but a plodding mediocrity - please observe, a plodding mediocrity - for a mere mediocrity does not go very far, but a plodding one gets quite a distance."
-Benjamin Cardozo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top