Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• March 28, 2017, 06:22:59 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395

Author Topic: Last Game You Played  (Read 498830 times)

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Last Game You Played
« Reply #5895 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »
It is amazing; I wish the flares in Unreal weren't so damn useless though. If they lasted for a minute rather than about 5 seconds it would of made the dark sections a shitload more fun. As it is, it's barely worth using flares.

I'm sad there's been no successful remake of it in other engines, but on the other hand as Black Mesa source showed when you fill an area with details you tend to lose the sense of scale a bit (mostly anyway, I've been playing Dark Souls 3 and that's full of huge well detailed areas)

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5896 on: February 03, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
The flashlight feels kinda useless as well. You have to be so conservative with it otherwise you'll run out of juice so quickly.

The Sunspire is amazing though, only beaten by Bluff Eversmoking.

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • MSN Messenger - mickel999@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5897 on: February 04, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »
I need to get back into Unreal. I've played it in pieces in the past, and it's so damn atmospheric, but it's never held my motivation enough to play through to the end. I can see a lot of challenges with remaking a modern version of it though. Its relative simplicity is part of the charm.

I've tried to get into Metal Gear 5 again recently but IMO the game has some issues. In many respects its quite polished, however it chucks you into this giant area, yet expects you to play a certain way. The controls are also really finicky. Doing something incredibly simple like switching a weapon is a lot more convoluted and unintuitive than it needs to be. It also has a bit too much focus on stealth for my taste.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is now on sale for 70% off which is tempting.
Herbs? Tell me more!

It's quiet... a little... *too* quiet.

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5898 on: February 04, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
Are you talking about Ground Zeros? Phantom Pain is a lot better since you have far more freedom to play it how you'd like. You can go loud if you want to, just be prepared to have to fight a lot.

Grab MD whilst it's on sale; it's not worth full price for various reasons but it's still a solid and decent game.

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5899 on: February 04, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
I just finished my map pack for Half-Life. If anyone is interested you can try it out here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/htc

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5900 on: February 04, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
oh shit I know what I'm gonna be doin right this second

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: February 04, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
Nice timing! I was just thinking what to do while waiting for the chicken to cook.

It is amazing; I wish the flares in Unreal weren't so damn useless though. If they lasted for a minute rather than about 5 seconds it would of made the dark sections a shitload more fun. As it is, it's barely worth using flares.

Hah, yeah and that's pretty much the only map where you need the flares. I wouldn't have minded the short duration if I could have just spammed them (I had dozens of them) but they take a good chunk out of your health when they blow up so I had to be wary.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5902 on: February 04, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »
Just finished it, nice work Loke! It's definitely better than your first HL map set - especially the change in main character (although minor it's still nice to play somebody other than a HEV suit guy)

SPOILER:

I think the only real complaint I have is that the end is a little bit anti-climactic but it left it open for a sequel (and I'm assuming that 'presumed dead' is not the same as 'actually dead' :P)

The lights out section was cool and creepy but it's let down a bit by how much of a pushover Gonomes are. Not really your fault of course, Opposing Force's weapons are ludicriously OP compared to the base HL stuff. The Wrench can flat out gib a black ops with a single alt-fire swing.

Your level design is getting stronger as well - of course detail wise it's fantastic as always but I think sometimes you do tend towards having a lot of hallways and stuff leading to room - hallway - room -hallway design but this was a step in a better direction. The sound design was really good as well and I noticed lots of good usage of HL's great echo/reverb system (It still makes me wish we could have something similar in Duke)

I had a weird bug with HL itself where textures were completely fucked - at first I thought it was intentional or something as if you were shot in the head but I realised that nope it was a bug with Half-life (and not your mod) I had to switch to Xash3D to get it to work properly. Weirdly enough Sven Co-op still looks fine, but even after reinstalling the problem persisted with HL.
Hah, yeah and that's pretty much the only map where you need the flares. I wouldn't have minded the short duration if I could have just spammed them (I had dozens of them) but they take a good chunk out of your health when they blow up so I had to be wary.
Oh yeah, and that as well - that made them feel even less useful. I still get a kick from dropping one down those huge elevator shafts and watching it fade away in the distance though. I think they're a pretty neat and organic way of letting the player check distances of drops and stuff, but you don't really get many opportunities for that in the original campaign.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:54:28 PM by James »

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5903 on: February 04, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »
Nice, glad you liked it.

Just finished it, nice work Loke! It's definitely better than your first HL map set - especially the change in main character (although minor it's still nice to play somebody other than a HEV suit guy)

Yup, there tends to be a massive sausage fest when it comes to playable characters in the Half-Life games as well as mods. It's a nice break.

I think the only real complaint I have is that the end is a little bit anti-climactic but it left it open for a sequel (and I'm assuming that 'presumed dead' is not the same as 'actually dead' :P)

Definitely, a sequel is something I might do down the road. I'd probably break away from the Black Mesa setting as well.

The lights out section was cool and creepy but it's let down a bit by how much of a pushover Gonomes are. Not really your fault of course, Opposing Force's weapons are ludicriously OP compared to the base HL stuff. The Wrench can flat out gib a black ops with a single alt-fire swing.[/color]

Yeah, I think giving the player a crowbar at the beginning might've been a better idea.
There's also a pretty decent amount of challenge if you play on hard -- the black ops do tons of damage but unfortunately many of the enemies also turn into bullet sponges (also one of the reasons why I completely left out the Alien Grunts :P ).

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5904 on: February 17, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »
Well I finally bought Deus Ex Mankind Divided, since it came on sale for 70% off again. It was still around $24 Australian. That's essentially the price of watching a new release movie at a cinema with a giant screen in 3D so it's not that much. Still, I've only been "working" for less than a year so it's taking time to re-adjust the value of money to a proper salary :P

(I get standard tickets for $13 as a student).
Herbs? Tell me more!

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5905 on: February 18, 2017, 05:00:58 AM »
Well I started it up and the game runs much smoother than I expected given the age of my system. I've got most settings on "high" which is a bit of a misnomer since there are two higher quality presets.

I've also got directX 12 enabled, which together with my newish graphics card probably improves the performance a lot more than it would otherwise be.

Maybe I'll pick up doom 4 on the next big sale and see how that holds up since I can just get a refund anyway.
Herbs? Tell me more!

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5906 on: February 18, 2017, 10:56:11 AM »
If you can run MD you can most definitely run Doom4 on even higher quality since that game run much better here (y)

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5907 on: February 18, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »
It's a really poor marketing decision to release the Doom 4 demo with such incredibly poor optimization. I'm sure it put some people off completely.

Btw I forgot to mention, there's definitely a "cloth physics" setting, so if you had that disabled it explains why Jensen's chin kept going through his collar.
Herbs? Tell me more!

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5908 on: February 18, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
Aha, I forgot to check so thanks for clearing that up for me (y) It was REALLY bugging the shit out of me, but to be honest I'm not sure why they couldn't just, you know, animate it so it didn't do that anyway without needing to code in new technology for the damn thing :P

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: February 22, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »
Finished Unreal & Return to NaPali. The eerie & otherwordly atmosphere inside the Skaarj mothership is still quite an experience (great soundtrack too). RTNP is a good mission pack overall but essentially "more of the same", and it kinda sucks that all the new enemies are just annoying insect-type enemies (the spiders & small lizards) and those hitscan human soldiers. The rocket launcher is a clear improvement over the crappy Eightball, btw, as is the new assault rifle over the HORRIBLE Tarydium Shard shooter (trying to hit a moving target with that thing is an exercise in frustration). Unreal is still a pretty long game. The base game took me 10 hours while RTNP took me 4. I'm saying this because I was slightly surprised that Quake 2 took me only 4 hours when I last played it; I had remembered it being longer.

I also finally played Loke's usermap, which was definitely "Lokean" in design with all the tidy trimming and wall/ceiling slopes. Cool skybox too & scripted scenes (which were kinda lacking in the base game, but then again it took Half-Life to pave the way). At the same time it was noticeably corridor-based unlike the base game itself.

As for Loke's HL mod, it took me a week to finish it because I kinda hit a wall near the end; the scene where you're locked in the dark hallway with all those black ops took me more than ten tries because I was playing on hard. The NVG really is a joke as you can't see shit unless something is right in front of you. (Also, anyone else getting massive frame drops when having it activated?) I also somehow missed the open door, probably a combination of it being too bright in my apartment and having to use the NVG, so I thought I had to kill the black ops from the hallway while trying to hide behind the crates, but I simply ended up getting killed in a few seconds once the grunts showed up. But even after finding that doorway it was still pretty difficult, partially because I had walked right past the shotgun room earlier (again, it was dark and the NVG is worth jack shit).
But hey, that's my fault for playing on hard. I replayed it on normal and found it a lot more enjoyable. I like how the mod is divided into different segments; first some puzzles and just walking around, then the Xen platforming bit, then the "scary" bit and then some nice action to wrap it up. Even found the shotgun this time around (y)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:06:43 PM by MSandt »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top