Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• February 21, 2018, 11:40:59 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407

Author Topic: Last Game You Played  (Read 741347 times)

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Last Game You Played
« Reply #6075 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:20 PM »
Agreed on Chaser as well. What a total shitfest.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6076 on: February 17, 2018, 03:34:16 AM »
I've been playing the fuck out of Legrand Legacy, and wrote a steam review. It might appeal to you Mikko (I think you're the only other one here who likes JRPGs, but of course I hope somebody proves me wrong :P) I definitely don't regret picking it up straight away in any case (the demo's a pretty good taster and you can grab it on steam easily enough)

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: February 17, 2018, 11:37:09 PM »
I like JRPGs you git.
I was playing FF (1) & Phantasy Star, amoung others,  when your parents were teens.

Just because I'm perpetually broke and can't afford to buy games all the time doesn't mean I stopped liking them.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6078 on: February 17, 2018, 11:51:49 PM »
I had no idea :o I never played the first Phantasy Star but PSIV is definitely one of my favourite retro JRPGs.

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: February 18, 2018, 12:06:15 AM »
Steam needs to host the complete Phantasy Star series.
They only have a couple of them, afaik. (II & IV ?)

There's always roms and emu's for the old stuff that can't be acquired via purchase.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6080 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:29 AM »
They do have all 3 of them on steam,  but they're all just roms basically. I'd like a proper widescreen supported version.

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: February 18, 2018, 12:56:37 AM »
You finding an old crt monitor will most likely happen before widescreen is supported.

I'm not sure why steam doesn't have the first game in the series - I can't see it being a licensing issue.

If you can tolerate the the aspect ratio & like turned based, the first couple of Shining Force games are good. (didn't care for their mediocre dungeon crawler - I'll play some old D&D Eye of The Beholder games if I want something in that genre)

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6082 on: February 18, 2018, 01:00:46 AM »
I did actually play the dungeon crawler way back when, but only a small amount since I didn't really understand the concept of 'levelling up' to get stronger back then. IIRC I tried the other games on an emulator, but couldn't really get into them. 

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: February 18, 2018, 01:36:56 AM »
I didn't like Shining in the Darkness because it's a grind. The players start so weak that they can barely survive a quarter of the first dungeon level. It's a constant delve & then retreat to the surface. Over and over and over and over........
The supplies found in the dungeon aren't enough to sustain the party, so it's a gold grab to go back to the shop and load up on as much stuff as you can carry, try to upgrade equipment, & get xp. Then dive into the dungeon and repeat until your supplies are almost gone & hope you got enough money by then to load up once more.

They had another dungeon crawler later in the series, but I didn't play it. It might be okay, but the experience from that first one kinda soured me on it.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6084 on: February 18, 2018, 03:56:15 AM »
I think that was my problem with it as well - it just wasn't really interesting enough to make going back and forth worth the hassle. That and going back to town was boring because it was just a glorified menu so there was nothing to do apart from dungeon crawling in a repetitive dungeon. I admire the attempts to do that kind of stuff on old tech...but it sure hasn't aged well at all.

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: February 19, 2018, 02:13:47 AM »
Shortly before and a bit early in my military service days in the mid to late 80's, when I was single & when my food & housing didn't come out of my pocket, I was able to buy & play console games. I had an NES & a Sega. JRPGs was the genre I liked the most - they had the best gameplay and storylines.
The longer I was in the military, the more responsibility I got & the less time I had for games. I just fell out of it - aside from an occasional FPS game after I bought a PC.
FPS games are a little less 'involved'. You can play it for a bit then walk away for months & come back without missing a beat. You can't do that as well with a good JRPG game. You kinda lose your place in the story, your objective, and sometimes the mechanics.

Yeah I got messed up & support a family on a pittance now. Can't really afford to buy games very often, but I still like to hear about them (JRPGs) for nostalgia's sake.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:16:39 AM by Forge »

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6086 on: February 19, 2018, 02:44:37 AM »
Yeah that's a big problem with most of them. You can stop playing them for a while and then come back and not have a god damn clue what you have to do.
Yeah I got messed up & support a family on a pittance now. Can't really afford to buy games very often, but I still like to hear about them (JRPGs) for nostalgia's sake.
To be fair, the majority of games I've played have been pretty damn mediocre or average at best. You're not missing out on much. The only games the last couple of years that have really got under my skin is DOOM2016, XCOM2, and Legrand Legacy. Most other stuff is just shit on a high discount that I take a gamble on.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: February 19, 2018, 06:06:11 AM »
Non-FF JRPGs are something I might be interested in trying out if days consisted of 48 hours rather than 24, but with 15+ FF titles and a whole bunch of other games, something's gotta give :( (Not to mention I don't much care about the anime style that seems to be the way to go in JRPGs.)
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: February 19, 2018, 10:15:11 AM »
if days consisted of 48 hours rather than 24
the same problem I had from some time starting around '95 until about '12.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6089 on: February 19, 2018, 09:37:01 PM »
(Not to mention I don't much care about the anime style that seems to be the way to go in JRPGs.)
It's honestly a very tiny part of the game, it's pretty much like FF8 - that's partly why I liked it so much I think. Most JRPGs are indeed pretty brainless with anime fanservice but Legrand didn't have any of that. I tried to play another JRPG called Fairy Fencer and that was just insufferable.

I would of taken more screenshots, but I was playing it on my Steam link so I didn't manage to take any sadly.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top