Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• October 22, 2018, 11:19:31 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412

Author Topic: Last Game You Played  (Read 830908 times)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Re: Last Game You Played
« Reply #6150 on: July 22, 2018, 04:27:26 AM »
Anyway, finished Prey. Took me nearly 30 hours. This game was surprisingly hard on Hard; I had gotten used to having no trouble playing first-person shooters on hard. Too bad a lot of the difficulty came from having weak weapons/bullet-sponge enemies and not that many bullets. Now of course their intention is to encourage the player to explore other options; there are several ways to play this game, including avoiding combat, but have I become better as a player if later on I can kill the same enemies with ease for no other reason but by having boosted my character's stats? It's an illusion of skill, like in the old Final Fantasy games.

I also got a heayv Bioshock vibe off Prey with the incredible amount of everything in the game. You've got a ton of human abilities, alien abilities, various suit mods, you can loot everywhere and recycle the loot into items, sidequests pop up every minute or so, there are weapon upgrades, there's hacking, etc. It can get a bit overwhelming and in general the game feels a bit cluttered and noisy at times.

The game has really cool spacewalk sections. You can go outside the station from various locations and it can get really disorienting because of the relativity of stuff like directions in space (how do you define "up" or "down" in a vacuum with no center?); you can easily orient yourself sideways (or upside down) and navigate the exteriors that way.

The game has an interesting story (even if it can get a bit confusing with all the million emails, audio logs and characters you meet) and your choices have interesting consequences; this game makes you think a lot. Good voice acting too, but intentionally ugly character models (which seems to be Arkane's way of doing things).

I just wish there were more opportunities to enjoy the station's atmosphere. Even in Isolation you can do that perfectly well even when the alien is relentlessly hunting you, but in Prey there's just too much stuff going on all the time.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6151 on: July 22, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
but have I become better as a player if later on I can kill the same enemies with ease for no other reason but by having boosted my character's stats? It's an illusion of skill, like in the old Final Fantasy games.
This is part of my problem with a lot of action games these days, the gameplay itself doesn't evolve or change at all you just get 'better' through being more powerful in-game. It's why I've loved the Dark Souls series so much; you can level up and beat everything that way....but if you're good enough you can beat the game naked with your fists.

Prey should be up my alley anyways but something about it just puts me off. It might be the enemies or the art style, I'm not sure.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: August 05, 2018, 05:30:39 PM »
Was about to uninstall the first Deux Ex but then I thought if there might be any good single-player mods for this, you know, mods featuring a new story and new levels. So, any recommendations? Preferably nothing that changes the gameplay mechanics too much.

It might be the enemies or the art style, I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, the Arkane artist for the game (and Dishonored) seems to have an affinity for ugly, grotesque people.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6153 on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
Zodiac is my favourite and recreates the style of the original game really well and is a lot of fun (has no voice acting though, if that's a sticking point)

Nihilum is also pretty good, and that does have full voice acting (including some by myself in the training/prologue parts)

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6154 on: August 08, 2018, 03:27:42 AM »
I've picked up No Man's Sky. Not sure what it was like at launch, but it's been enjoyable. Some bugs, but it works in multiplayer + there's a base building component to it so it's alright
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: September 06, 2018, 01:46:13 AM »
Been playing Quake Champions pretty much every day but only about two quick matches at a time. I'm starting to really enjoy this game; the "champions" with their particular stats and abilities give the tired-old deathmatch some much-needed variety and fun without really changing the fundamental gameplay (which still revolves around strafejumping, item control and LG/RL/RG). Noobs (such as myself) are still gonna get beaten badly but it's really rewarding once you start to feel like you're getting somewhere.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: September 14, 2018, 12:50:56 AM »
Played Chasm the Rift a few weeks ago. It's one of those games I always wanted to try, so I'm glad I could finally scratch it off the list. Anyway, I mostly didn't like it: https://msdn.duke4.net/revchasm.php

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: September 15, 2018, 07:26:22 PM »
Played Loke's Autonomy Lost HL mod. I enjoyed it; awesome design with big rooms and lovely texturing. I only despised the grunt (alien) encounters; either they were too far from you and easy (& tedious) to kill with the pistol or too close and annoying to fight against because of the bee projectiles that tend to ignore cover. Liked the impression of getting depeer into the facility but I probably would have started the thing topside, on the streets or something, just to break the monotony of the underground-facility setting. Was kinda missing the mp5 but when it was finally given before the last battle really made up for it. Took me 45 minutes.

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6158 on: September 15, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks. You can get the MP5 in the fourth map by the way. It's hidden behind a fence. You can get it either by hopping over the fence using the humvee or the hidden vent on the upper floor (prepare for some vent crawling).
There's quite a few secrets people seemed to have missed. Some of them are obscure though.

I tried to stay away a bit from the conventional way in which mods gives you weapons, e.g. pistol -> shotgun -> mp5 etc. That's why you can get the .357 so early (second one after the crowbar).

The pot-shooting was my main gripe with the mod too. That's also why I mainly dislike the final map -- even though I'm pretty happy with the architecture the gameplay was kinda meh.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: September 16, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »
Ah, yes, with HL maps you kinda don't expect many secrets; in fact, I believe it was the first shooter I played that didn't have explicit secrets. (Scratch that; Unreal didn't have explicit secrets either, but the Nalis guiding you toward hidden doors kinda made them feel like secrets.)

Maybe I've become out of touch with HL, but is there any way to avoid the bee projectiles when fighting the first grunts if you intend to stay inside the container type of office (what are these called anyway?)? The bees always seemed to get to me through the floor or something.

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6160 on: September 16, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
I'm not sure, those bee projectiles are so unpredictable. Sometimes they home in on you like crazy and sometimes they don't seem to care.
I usually dash behind cover when the alien grunts fire, often crouching (not really sure that helps). It's kinda hard to avoid them in the small office though, it's easier if you have multiple rooms to run between.

...container type of office (what are these called anyway?)?

Haha, no idea. I based the design on an area from the first Mirror's Edge game. Thought it looked cool so I decided to implement it into Autonomy Lost.

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6161 on: September 18, 2018, 05:44:31 AM »
You always do awesome stuff so i will make sure i find the time to test this thing out!

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6162 on: September 18, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
Thanks Gambini.

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • MSN Messenger - mickel999@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6163 on: September 18, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
Judging from the picture, that's Half Life 2 right? The lighting looks pretty good, although I can't judge the texture quality too easily there.
Herbs? Tell me more!

It's quiet... a little... *too* quiet.

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6164 on: September 18, 2018, 09:34:38 PM »
he literally says what game it is above the pic, it's Mirror's Edge icon_wink.gif
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top