Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• August 19, 2019, 08:12:35 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: What do you actually think of your levels?  (Read 68776 times)

Maartn

• AMC Staff
  • Arriving Somewhere...But Not Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
What do you actually think of your levels?
« on: November 20, 2003, 03:08:59 AM »
@ Mikko at Last played map

MSSP1 was crappy (although the space ship looked pretty cool), MSSP2 had a few parts which I think are pretty ok (but not good), MSSP3 has a few tricks I like and its texturing is pretty cool (black/white walls), MSSP4 has some locations I'm still proud of (and this was in fact the first level where I actually tried to make better shadows) but the quality drops toward the end, MSSP5 maybe tried to combine too many themes into one level but it has some interesting ideas and I like most of its design (however I ran out of sectors so some places stayed empty), MSSP6 is pretty good but has some areas I'd like to get rid off and MSSP7 is in my opinion - the best (although the quality drops toward the end).

I saw this, and I thought it would be cool if everybody shares there honnest opinion about all there own maps :D I think thats cool. And then other people can share there opinion about that again etc. ;)

Well I'll give mine list later, so post!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 12:23:52 AM by James »
Mikko Sand, back then in the the history of 2002:
(...) in 2005, and I hardly think anynone plays duke then

XTHX2 @ msn:
I want to see DavoX finding something sexual
at that sentence

Merlijn on MSN:
oh well with Davox around...
I mean he could even find some sexual context if there was a discussion about coffee-pads ;)

William Gee

• MSN Messenger - geewillywizz@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 03:12:06 AM »
Cool Topic! :) but ill post tonight cause itle take awhile :D

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 03:13:26 AM »
Hehe okay, I'll review my own Aliens demo maps then. :)

Well as for the maps, I think they sucked, the first level was the worse, but in the second you can see some pretty big improvements me thinks.. But still, they are far from the mapping skills I have today. ;)
--
New map is coming up soon by me (which will hopefully be included in the new community project) and I'm (not to brag or anything) quite amazed of myself. :D

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

CryptoproctaFerox

• AMC TC member/guest
  • Death is among us
    • MSN Messenger - zaxtor2001@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Zaxtor+Znort
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zaxtor2001
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 03:26:21 AM »
I love them - my fav. is alien_sy "alien sanctuary"
Arc nova
and
Alien processor
OBLIVION'S STATUS. {FINISHED}..
Current status RELEASED
http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.aspx?/hst/m/s/msandt/oblivionfinal.zip .

BTW  My website about the fossa at:
Fossa's Lair  and
My second site about fireworks at:
The Bomb Baron'

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 03:32:10 AM »
Woah - time for a long post from me too :mrgreen:

Arcade - I made this level when I was around 12, and I'm still proud of it now. It's not the best looking level at all, in fact it's really mediocre. BUT - I like it because I worked all summer on it, I put a lot of great ideas into it and it was my first 'real' finished map.

All CBPs - Excluding the 6th one which is being finished, all 3 of my parts are a tad similiar. I like the job I did with them - they were sadly rushed but for a quick little area I think they were pretty good.

Borg Nukem 'Get out!' - It was a pleasent change to make this map, BN had a lot of cool effects to work with & nice textures so it was fun to work on. The detail suffers a lot though, some parts were rushed, but I did throw some effects in there which I thought were cool.

Survival Tech Demo - I spent ages on this but due to bugs & shitty hosts it never really got the attention I thought it deserved. The maps weren't super detailed but I really liked all the detail & stuff to do in the maps; maybe I can finish Survival once Iwv2 is done.

IW v1 Episode 1 - When I started these maps I hadn't played or Built for Duke in a very long time, so obviously I forgot a lot :D Most of the maps were really poor, I did put a lot of little details in but generally the maps were bad so they weren't noticed (You can 'use' the phone in the Kitchen for example)

Iw v1 Episode 2 - Better is the word here - I'd gotten used to Build again so the quality is generally better here. 'Xuglop' is my personal favourite - 'Space fortress' is better detailed & has better effects (That reactor you have to power up by moving 3 barrels into it) but I really love the atmosphere in 'Xuglop' - originally if you walked up to someone you could talk to them - but I cut it out for some reason (Must put that back for v2)

Iw v2 Episode 3 - The first 2 maps were pretty bad - done quickly just to throw them out. level 3 is a better version of 'Arcade', and I think the maps get better as the episode progresses. 'Stone rain' (It only shares the name with the SW level, nothing else) is my favourite - it's a long level and one I kept thinking I couldn't stop building & adding cool stuff to it. 'Final Showdown' was a small, quick map which had a big problem - the boss wouldn't move off of his spot. It wasn't too bad as this meant he couldn't fall down the Chasm or anything stupid like that.

Iw v2 in general - I'm really proud of all of the Iw levels now, a lot of cool stuff has been added & most levels are a lot longer. They also look better and have more diversity than the originals. I can't say too much because you guys won't really know what the levels are like until you play it ;)

Iw v2 'Frosty Truths' (Aka Alaska) - This one I think deserves a special mention - it's now one of the most unlinear IW levels so far. It's really big, and it feels practically perfect. I'm really proud of this level, and I think it will probably beat 'Stone rain' as my favourite Iw level when it's finished :D

Well there you go - I probably missed a few maps, if I remember any I'll add them later.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 03:33:39 AM by James »

Arzca

• MSN Messenger - tesla87@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 05:44:14 AM »
My maps, well at the moment I think my ARSP1 is the best of my released maps, as I said in "Last map you played"

ARSP1:
=======

The released level I'm most proud of, good shadows, but still a lot of flaws.

Dead Meat:
========

Originally this was supposed to be a large warehouse/city themed map, until I got bored making it, and wanted to finish it soon as possible, and result is worth it, I was disappointed on it, even my myself.

Eye of the Storm:
=============

First DM map, it was supposed to be a lot of larger city with police HQ etc. And from somewhere I got an idea to make DM map, size of the level didn't concern me. I tried to make good shadows/shadings, some detail there. This is what I'm the second-most proud of.

Death:
======

Yeah, everyone has their own first duke release, eh? This one is mine, mostly E1L3 style map, with tons of flaws, ok, I could keep telling these until tomorrow.  :D

Legendaarista:
==========

Legendaarista is my old map! I play a lot of Doom, I got an inspiration from Final Doom: Plutonia Experiment Map 32 (it has tons of monsters within Doom2 map1 style area, bit larger). I opened build and started to editing the map, it was done within an hour. Yeah, it has probably even more flaws than Death has, but gameplay is the best part of the level.

Huh, I hope I didn't miss anything... :D  
Is there something special in this text?

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 06:11:00 AM »
As for O'Boy:

I'm pretty proud of it although it's way too tight. Almost every room and outdoor area is at least a bit too small - some rooms were incredibly small. And the level feels a bit - dead. But I'm proud of the fact that the level has only one crate (and even that contains a key;)  
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Arzca

• MSN Messenger - tesla87@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 06:25:36 AM »
Damn, I forgot Darkside.... :evil:

So far the level I'm the most proud of them all, so far. Learned new things in build, made some stuff I never believed I could make etc.
Is there something special in this text?

BlitZ

• MSN Messenger - l_BlitZ_l@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllHailDukeNukem
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - all_hail_duke_nukem
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 09:54:00 AM »
The Moonbase:Worst map ever made by anyone even Matt well not really :lol:

The Movies(my second Map):Mostly inspired by duke3d and other movies it was kinda cool

William Gee

• MSN Messenger - geewillywizz@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 04:06:25 PM »
SP maps

1 Alienx,
A beautifull map but to hard bad gameplay weapon placement.

2 Future,
A good level enouph detail gameplay was good but map was to short.

3 WGSpace1,
My first great map great gameplay detail effects everywhere map is huge fun and detailed.

4 WGSpace2,
The worst level out of my WGSpace series. Even still map is huge full of details and great gameplay. Just that there isnt enouph variety everything was the same.

5 WGSpace3,
Out of my levels this is my favorite huge beautiful outside locations best gameplay i have ever done over 300 enimies! level was too big-long ending neaded more detail and some places neaded more shade.

6 WGSpace4,
Level is good, im bored of it though it is to linier i always go the same way do the same things. still level was huge full of details and great gameplay. also the hallways were all on the same level almost.

7 WGAlien,
My first atomic SP map my latest release.
I made this map for 2 reasons. 1 To make up for WGSpace2 being so crappy
                                             2 To try to make anather version of Alienx but with great gameplay.
Level is really great there is great variety detail gameplay storyline everthing is great. Map has maybe the best atmasphare i have ever made. and some awsome doors that took me forever to build :D my best Alien map. Maybe my best overal map as well but not my favorite.

DM maps
erm i have about 8 DM maps i cant be bothered talking about them lol
WW2 is my best DM level the rest have diferent thems and so on but really nothing exciting about DM maps :P

Anything to come? wait and see :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 05:44:01 PM by William Gee »

T.M.M

• MSN Messenger - Carger2000@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 08:38:09 PM »
I did not release many Duke3d releases so the most of the maps below are SW ones.

Neweff2 (DN3D):

One of my first 'kinda impressive' maps. Lots of effects added. Cool ending.
Some shadows are too dark, some areas there's not enough..

Conversion complex (Borg Nukem DM):

Happy with most of the areas but some textures were replaced by a new tile set in the final release so they are totally wrong/crushed.
I had some totally wacked bug in it which I had to work around. On the outside (area with the crushing pillars) there's some small sprites added to keep this one bug/glitch from appearing when playing :D
Overall kinda happy with it.

Mission-X P1 (SW):

Happy with most of the design but in a revision (released later this year)
I will add a couple of touches that I deemed necessary. The doom doors of the first corridor are kinda dull, but I won't change them now anymore..

Mission-X P2 (SW):

My best map yet (Untill P4 or 'The anbandoned factory' for Blood arrives)
Im proud of most of the original ideas used and the huge size of it.
A couple of areas lacked detail because I ran out of walls/sectors. The revision
will have some more sprite work to make those areas more interesting, as well as a couple of errors fixed.

Mission-X P3 (SW):

Extremely proud of the effects used at the start of this map. Most of the corridors/rooms in the later part of the map are too small which I am unhappy about.  The ending of this map needed a major rebuild because I wasn't happy with it.

Cultures (SW):

The first single player release from me for SW. Im proud of the temples I used
and the overall feeling of the surroundings. Cultures + had a lot of textures changed to make everything look better & added Deathmatch support. (I love to have Deathmatch/Single player&COOP options in all of my maps)
Overall a decent first release.

Rubble (SW):

Deathmatch. Has a great feeling to it with lots of secrets areas, hiding places etc.
A little to small unfortunately..

Rubble 2 (SW):

Basicly one huge sprite fest and filled with smart graphical effects.  Some areas could've done with more sectors.

MisxDM (SW):

The first DM (Wangbang) map in Mission-X style. Lots of sneaky areas, bases & stuff. I like the teleporter portals.. overall ok.. problem is some areas don't fit together.

MisxDM 2 (SW):

Much, much better. If you look at the way I build this one you'll see I added lots of smart shortcuts to keep the pace up for multiplayer games. Some areas could've done with some more detail.

Deadwang (SW):

Wangbang only.
Not bad... the SW map I was the most proud of for a long time. Everything looks real neat but if it makes for great deathmatch games? I dunno really.

Summer2k (SW):

Another WangBang only map.
Based around a summer holiday bungalow. Lots and lots of details. Everything
that was there was in the map.
To add more to this release, the ZIP contained 2 version of the map. 1 by day and one 'by night' with added shadows, added touches etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 08:39:42 PM by T.M.M »

Maartn

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 10:43:09 PM »
YAY! I was right peeps like this tread :D

Ok, my turn :cool: :P

SP:

1) The big city (maa2.map):
My first released and most crappyst map :D (79 points at MSDN...lol isn't that a bit too high for it? :P). Back then I builded this without thinking what I was exactly was doing (I still do a litle tho). I love the roch serie and the map was very roch-look like that but then alot worser :D Anyway it has some things which I still like like that spritework outside.

2) Maarten Desert:
My first desert level, alot beter then my previous SP map, it has things which I'm proud of, like those explossion and outsides by tha hotel :) Only the design has too much flaws I think, and too much weird unrealistic things, and some outside places looked a bit emty (but that was cuz of the damn wall-limit, otherwise I looked much beter I think). Tho I luv the gameplay :D And I made a story line also :)

3) Toxicity
Must be the map with the best design (for SP then) and gameplay of me, but I think it could be beter done here and there. EDF base is the best part, especially with boxes where you have to jump from each other (if u know what I mean). And this must be my first map with the first effects :D And I think that big explosion is cool :cool: I also added more shading then my previous ones. End quality isn't really good.

4) Alien Planet X64-2 Aaahh! This must be the most orginal level I ever made! I know the design isn't the best out of my work, and maybe the map is a litle too long (not much), but I'm really proud of it cuz I made something "new". I made some effects in it (like the key card machine, lights that go off one be one...damn I'm really proud of that :D). Personlly I think this my best work, and I probably won't beat ever. I putted so much ideas in it!

DM:

1) MaaDM2
DM in rocks, which looks cool to me, only it has too less shadings, and too much misaligned textures/slopy design :D

2) Temple Of Death
Best design I ever did :)

Others:

CBP's part I did I think that one in cbp2 I made togheter with my bro isn't really special. It's just nice design and cool gameplay, and thats it :D That one in CBP4 was in a sewer, design is good, but that place with computers etc.  could have beter done, but I made that very fast lol.

OGBB Best map I had most fun with building :) I think the gameplay rocks. And of course I'm proud of my parts :)

Supa3
Map takes AGES to finish, but I think the map is pretty good after all, beter then I thought before. We Store Your Crap place & and that book-shop  from sang weren't that bad :)

And of course I'm working on a new SP map which will probably have the best design. Won't beat my alien map I geuss, well see ;)

Pffft! Long list eh?

XTHX2 @ msn:
at that sentence

Merlijn on MSN:
I mean he could even find some sexual context if there was a discussion about coffee-pads ;)

HighWire

• Survival
  • The ConstruKction of Light
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 10:52:51 PM »
All the first CT maps sucked ass.

The fugutive addon levels were quite good.

'East Side' really showed me becoming more experienced as a mapper.

Garden Party is one of my masterpieces

The rest of fugutive addon is okay.

Tropical Alien Massacre is my true masterpiece and Death Valley is a fun dm map.

SAS is my first map I did together with Fakir. Map was quite good, had the real levelord style experience.

And that CT2 map is about to rock even more :D  
"...I need to code in Rusty's balls as well." - James

K u F F i

• ICQ Messenger - 87102489
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 10:57:40 PM »
got too many maps so ill just take a few random maps I made:

The Secret Base (007): Loved the style of that Tc so I also wanted to make a map for it, when I check it nowadays I don't really like it, but it had a pretty good ambience :)

Xmas2k1: Map was fun to build and I learned a lot of new things during the making of this maps (when it comes to designing and creating my own style). Personally, I really like this map.

Eye Witness: It was cool to make this map with Alejandro. Despite Ale's very different map-style this map was still pretty succesful but I always screw rooms up when I have to add TOO MUCH detail, this map is probably over detailed but has some very nice looking places.

Freedom: I really put a lot of time in the design of this map. But then I had to make the outside part. I had some ideas and I discusses a little with Fakir and got to the conclusion that I was going to make this building on an island, yeah! Spent ages on the design of the outside part and I really like that way it looks. Too bad I rushed some things at the end which make this map not so perfect as I thought it would be :(

Xmas2k2: Took ages to build but I like the way it looks. All the Sector-over-Sector shit took ages (lol check it in build) Wanted to make it big so the design isn't top quality everywhere. It has some nice and some bad parts. Prolly no Xmas2k2 from Kuffi, so who is going to keep this tradition up?

A good mapper should do this. Dukebert did it for '98 en '99, turpuli for '00, I did it for '01 and '02. Now someone has to take it over :) Wish Billy Boy could do this :( Or Bob Averill in his style but then with snow.. hmm that would be nice.

Maartn

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 11:19:20 PM »
Like as I said in my first post, you can share your opinion also on other ones, so here some of mines :)

Say Arzca, I played tha ARSP map but I don't think it's really beter then dead meat. Dead Meat warehouse has a bit boring looking textures, but after that the deisgn improves, yeah still some flaws. so it isn't THAT bad :)

And Kuffi, I don't really see whats wrong with the end of Freedom but ok thats my opinon ;) Thats where this tread is for :) But IMO Freedom is far your best map. I didn't give it 96 points not for nothing :D

And I agreed with what Mikko said about O'boy lol :P

XTHX2 @ msn:
at that sentence

Merlijn on MSN:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top