Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• February 23, 2019, 05:25:38 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: What do you actually think of your levels?  (Read 66900 times)

Fulsam

• The mission's over, Fisher. God help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you actually think of your levels?
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2006, 04:27:01 AM »
UPDATE!

Red4
This is my favourite (...) I'll never again make a map this good I'm afraid :(

I'm goin to have to eat my words here. :P

Red5

I'm so glad I finally released it, I personally think it's better then Red4 AND red3 combined :P. The best thing (IMHO) about it is it's variety. Wide outside locations, deep underwater parts, jumping puzzles, scary dark corridors, scripted stuff to build more tension, and of course the end "battle". So Red5 replaces red4 as my personal favourite now.

I personally felt that a major improvement is in the "cutscenes": the crashing boat in Red4 was basically just a screen going black and lots of sounds creating the right illusion. It works well enough I think (and I don't know how it could be done otherwise with classic duke), but really seeing those choppers being blown up rather then just hearing it in Red5 beats it IMHO. Same goes for the scripted newbeast sequences. :)

I don't think I'll succeed making another map which I'm as satisfied with as this one  (but who knows: maybe I'll have to eat my words again after 2 more years :P).

(if you think this sounds arrogant: note that this is how I personally think about my map, it's just my own opinion and I had to get it off my chest :) )

Red 4 reminded me a bit of "Pesidon". A movie where a cruise boat boat gets flipped over by a tidal wave. Man, that movie was INTENSE!
It all begins at a newyears party inside the boat. Suddenly the fire alarms go off then every one panics, then the boat flips over. That was the most intense part. P. S. im talking about the new Pesidon movie

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2006, 04:32:05 AM »
Poseidon, not Pesidon ;) And since you're talking about the remake, I'd say the move should've reminded you of Red 4, not the other way around :(
"heh, a sidenote, IŽd not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wonŽt work." - Gambini

Last.fm

mrline

• Moderators
  • Mommy, there's a dinosaur in our backyard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2006, 05:23:53 AM »
Actually the final parts of red4 are mostly based on the old poseidon movie, it's what gave me the idea to let the boat flip over. Pointless fact, I know. ^_^
Quakis: DP3 never took place in a city? ( can't rembeer actually )

Maarten: OMGWTFSTUCKINVENTILATIONSHAFT!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=374342&T=9052

DavoX

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2006, 02:47:10 AM »
My maps are good in the beggining and middle part, but at the end i rush them a little bit. Mostly because of a new idea for another map or something like that.

Fulsam

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2006, 07:00:49 AM »
Never rush you levels, It leaves disasterous results. Laundry, my first released map, was a disaster because I rushed. I was excited that I was actually releasing a map into public. Now look, I am attempting to make a remake, which will be accompanying ofsp2's final release. Again, im sorry that laundry was such a waste of time and a major dissapointment

DavoX

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2006, 07:43:56 AM »
Never rush you levels, It leaves disasterous results. Laundry, my first released map, was a disaster because I rushed. I was excited that I was actually releasing a map into public. Now look, I am attempting to make a remake, which will be accompanying ofsp2's final release. Again, im sorry that laundry was such a waste of time and a major dissapointment

For crying out loud man get that thing in the floor that's called selfsteem and throw it really high. Everyone started someday, Everyone had their first map. You should focus on getting better instead of regreting that first map. Learn to love it, not to hate it. I love my first maps even if they suck major balls.

Be glad that you actually got into mapping dude :)

mrline

• Moderators
  • Mommy, there's a dinosaur in our backyard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
He's got a point though: never rush too much. A map has to be polished and balanced all the way through. Although I took that a bit too far, red4 and red5 both took more then a year to finish. :P
Quakis: DP3 never took place in a city? ( can't rembeer actually )

Maarten: OMGWTFSTUCKINVENTILATIONSHAFT!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=374342&T=9052

DavoX

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2006, 10:32:41 PM »
I don't rush them because i want that much... mostly because of the limits, if i see that i'm getting closer to not being able to map anymore i just try to make the ending faster or else the map would be unplayable and that's much worse  ^_^ .

_

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2006, 02:05:13 AM »
I thought it was time for a few comments on my 3 very little Duke-things :)

My contribution to CBP6 :
I had to build something with a 100sector limit, so I left two rooms pretty much undetailed and with barely nothing in them. Gameplay could have been better, indeed it feels empty.
I think lightning was great though!

Canyon Bunker :
The map took me 3 days, and I'm very proud of it, even though a lot was made under Geoffrey's wise advices. Design is not detailed at all, but it's not too ugly either. I think it plays awesome in DM !

My contribution to the jfcbp :
as stupid as it may seem, it's my biggest released work so far :D : around 350 sectors/2500 walls
I think the sewers look good, good trimwork. The "technical room" is crap though, I didn't put any shadows, basicaly it looks a lot like what I did with cbp6 (except that I used a cool 2 textures combinaisons for walls !). I didn't care about the underwater area, I just had to link it to Quakis' concert room.
The toilets look great IMO :)
For the boss area, I tried to make some original texturing out from the common duke textures used for buildings, so I used others cool combinaisons ! My favourite building is the one left to the exit of the concert room ;)
As for gameplay, I wanted to make something fast and intense, with a lot of monsters but a lot of ammo and health too. I wanted to make the boss hard to kill even though it's the easiest boss of the game, so I  placed many other monsters around the main street.

In any case, this 2 last releases (canyon bunker + my jfcbp part) gave me a strong need to release a real sp map of at least 1000 sectors ! I'm working on something at the moment (it's 200 sectors so far) but I won't make any thread or show any screenshot on AMC, since I might never release it as well...

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2006, 10:20:12 AM »
One of my main problems is texturing. I suck at texturing.

ck3D

• feel the power of rock and roll
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2006, 12:25:47 AM »
One of my main problems is texturing. I suck at texturing.

I believe that everybody sucks at texturing when they don't have a lot of experience in mapping, because they rush their picks and don't think enough of what could fit in a particular place and what couldn't, or they're just too lazy to find the exact texture they want and go for the first one they think will do. Time and experience makes you more demanding about the final results and your maps look better.
Quote from: James
Yeah I think it's a bad cliche that modding is something you only do when you're young; it's not like the second you discover vaginas (or penis!) you automatically realise you were throwing your life away on the PC (some people ARE like that, but they're tools so w/e)

supertanker

• MSN Messenger - supertanker13@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2006, 07:32:20 AM »
I actually enjoy texturing now, and I can do it pretty well. I think Aqua base was my best example of that

Only thing I hate are 45 degree floor segments :(

Fulsam

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2006, 06:15:30 AM »
I get better every time I make a map. Compare laundry with my ofdm1

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2006, 09:00:58 PM »
I usually suck when I start a map because I still have to get used to Build and all that.. After that it's okay, near the end I usually start thinking "I want to get this out" and then it might look quite rushed.. So I don't think I'll ever make more than a mediocre map ;)
"heh, a sidenote, IŽd not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wonŽt work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Bob_Averill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2007, 04:19:55 PM »
I've been mapping for 8 years and only put out 8 maps, 9 if you count my upcoming one. It's not that I work slowly, I just take long breaks between maps until the urge to build returns.

Bobsp1 looks painfully primitive now. At the time I suppose it was impressive, compared to other offerings, but I feel it's no longer representative of my skills.

Bobsp2 holds up pretty well. The use of textures and geometry is a bit too ecclectic, but compared to Bobsp1 it's far more consistently designed and detailed.

Bobsp3 is one of my best, I think. I wanted to do something very different from my usual stuff, so I forced myself to build a nature level. Originally, it was to end in a huge battle where you destroyed an enormous radio antennae in a magnificent scripted explosion, but I ended up running out of sectors and so I settled for a multi-tier mothership battle.

I think it's probably best that I leave after BobspX: It's about as good of a level as I am capable of making. The lighting is complex and attractive, the spritework is intricate and occurs frequently, and the level geometry is complex to the point that I honestly wonder if it's wasteful. I am especially proud of the interactivity: Every computer is usable, and you can read the aliens' log entries and progress reports. My intention is to make the aliens seem more living, personable, and three dimensional rather than just being generic bad guys. Also I want to use their dialogue to fully reveal the plot of the Bobsp series.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top