Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• August 19, 2019, 08:49:48 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: What do you actually think of your levels?  (Read 68779 times)

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
What do you actually think of your levels?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2003, 11:33:44 PM »
here they are in particular order

Supa:

Crappy map.

Supa2:

Even more crap.

BattleField:

A bit better.

BattleField2 :

Something I liked very much, to bad not ALL people did.

Supa3:

Simply the best yet.

Oh and not to forget:

CBP3 Part:

I don't like it very much.

CBP4 Part:

I like this to much. :P
"heh, a sidenote, IŽd not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wonŽt work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Quakis

• MSN Messenger - quakis_962@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2003, 04:29:27 AM »
I think all my maps are BORING, SHORT and too SMALL ;(

Richard213

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2003, 07:33:50 AM »
plane, not very good texture and never finished

William Gee

• MSN Messenger - geewillywizz@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2003, 02:49:15 PM »
BattleField2 :

Something I liked very much, to bad not ALL people did.

hey i loved Battlefield 2 ;)
I never played 1 though.
But Battlefield 2 had awsome gameplay it was like Duke n DooM lol :D erm thats a compliment btw ;)

Arzca

• MSN Messenger - tesla87@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2003, 02:55:08 PM »
Battlefield 2 had the best gameplay, tons of monsters to blow apart. Like Wlliam said, it has some DooM feeling.

It would be nice to make some Doom levels for Duke, like some of those in Final Doom: Plutonia, those levels have tons of monsters/traps. There is still few problems, it is hard to find DooM stylish textures in Duke, well dunno...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 02:59:52 PM by Arzca »
Is there something special in this text?

Gangster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2003, 02:59:18 PM »
oh, this will be a long post...
lets start with all premium edition levels:

hamburg - it was only avaiable in the pre-release of my premium edition. it was the first map ever where i used new imported textures and it was also my first dm map. when i now look on this map it was pretty low detailed and very "duke-ish" but not that bad at all.

submarine base - this was my brightest and hugest map ever (in area). i didn't pay attention on the framerate very much. but it was quite funny in dm with friends... campers paradise!

harlem heat - this is the darkest map ever from me. i'm still proud of it because it was the first step to crime t.g. although its very old. the red car was my first subway effect use ever!

the counterstrike clones dust, cbble, rotterdam - the masterpiece is of course dust! it really looks like cs, rotterdam had a bit gritty textures but was also 99% identical. hey come on guys, they were a real REVOLUTION for build that time! cbble is also a nice clone and the extra rooms were quite useful in dm.

gothic cathedral - the stargate's opening effect was quite cheap but no one has done a nice gate before (sg1-tc was shit and ancient). the cathedral itself was a bit bald but the ceiling was cool, although it could have been a bit higher. i'll promise you, i build such a cathedral again!

steeltown - the one and only masterpiece of premium edition! when i made this map i firstly thought of a mod like crime t.g. with darker and more realistic maps. but steeltown was also cool, especially the movie themes like from matrix and the crow. and the subway was the most important thing in this map.

ok, you can't really judge them but i also tell you something about the newest stuff:

crime #1 (the biker club) - oh, man this is a revolution for build! even i myself haven't expected to get it look that good and realistic! i've learned much about textures in this map and the ambience is great, so i'm 100% proud of it!

crime #2 (the train) - although it looks awesome from outside, the person wagons are a bit simple constructed inside but it used almost all build limits. but letting it drive through a huge wheat field with forest was very original, i think.

more can't really be judged...

William Gee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2003, 04:26:39 PM »
A good mapper should do this. Dukebert did it for '98 en '99, turpuli for '00, I did it for '01 and '02. Now someone has to take it over :) Wish Billy Boy could do this :( Or Bob Averill in his style but then with snow.. hmm that would be nice.
hmm maybe
but does it nead to be called xmas2k3 ?  :-?  ;-|  does it nead to be on earth?
I know its neads snow but thats all rite?

mrline

• Moderators
  • Mommy, there's a dinosaur in our backyard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2003, 05:36:28 PM »
CBP6 is snowy right? Maybe we can release it during christmass (CBP xmas :D)
it's almost done so...

Anyway, I'll skip every pre-red map cuz they are super-crappy :P

Red1
This was my first released map and I considered it as a masterpiece back then. Looking back at it now I can honestly say it's crap. All rooms are way to big, shadows are lacking, I wasted way to much sectors on the road (look in build), the level is way too short and many things just look sloppy (like my first spriteworkzz) Note: red1 and 2 first where supposed to be one map, didn't know about the sector limit back then :mrgreen: Thanx to the sector limit I changed my plan and decided to make a whole episode :)
The main plans of red3 and red4 where made back then before I even finished red2.

Red2
This stil isn't a superb looking map, but it's a huge improvement from red1 IMO. Some things still look a bit sloppy, but I think most things are improved. I really like the Town HAll and the unstable mine-area. Also this is the first map where the story became more important and also- more dark and spooky. I personally love it. I even put a reference to the next map in it ("that abandonned place on the other side of the mines")

Red3
Many people concider this to be my best map. I don't agree :P. I really love it myself of course: it's spooky, scary ambiance, the log of those poor mine workers, the scary hotel with your first encounter with the "demons", the ending where you have to reload the system (I put much detaills in this, you can even put the ventilators back on and if you listen closely you'll hear a wind sound when you do that) and I'm still really proud of this work. The beginning however is maybe a bit too empty.

Red4
This is my favourite. I love it from the beginning till the end and put huge amounts work in this map: everything *had* to be perfect exactly the way I wanted it to be. IMHO I succeeded :D. I've been on a cruiseship (I based the map on it) and the ambiance in this map really gives me the feeling I am on a real cruiseship. Design is at its peak here, everything is very detailled, but not overdetailled. I'll never make a map this good I'm afraid :(
Only flaw I could think of is the tightness of a few places, the stairway from deck5 to deck6 for example. But it's a minor flaw and it doesn't hurt the gameplay :)
I'm really proud of this map and especially the ending

Now the other maps
Hell awaits
My first and last dm-map. I love playing this with bots, becouse I'm able to beat them :D I'm moslty playing with 6 opponents on skill4, wich couses a HUGE mayhem! :D Design is just as red4, very detailled but I think it's not overdetailled.

OGBB
I personally love this map, it's a huge citymap with great gameplay (well if you work with gee it's impossible to have a bad gameplay :P) and some neat spriteworks, mostly from me (I made the bridge and the hole to a lower floor in thgat condemned building for example)

Supa3
Nice snowy map and Sangys first hot map! Wuhahha mission acclompished :D

CBP parts
The part in cbp2 I made with Maartn isn't special at all, it's ok but nothing more then that.
My part in cbp4 is again an abandonned village, and I personally really like it becouse it's spooky and it has a scary graveyard :)

Quakis: DP3 never took place in a city? ( can't rembeer actually )

Maarten: OMGWTFSTUCKINVENTILATIONSHAFT!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=374342&T=9052

K u F F i

• ICQ Messenger - 87102489
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2003, 01:25:02 AM »
hmm maybe
but does it nead to be called xmas2k3 ?  :-?  ;-|  does it nead to be on earth?
I know its neads snow but thats all rite?
definitely xmas2k3, or xmas2003 whatever. this tradition must be kept up man so someone can put this all together in a few years and call it an episode.

RottKing

• AOL Instant Messenger - Lame Duke Pryde
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2003, 01:53:27 AM »
Well, I guess I'll join in too. ;)

Ghetto: Sucked, but was fun in Duke Match with a friend

Condemed: I love the idea, but some bad design here and there, and the temple is a little too small. It's (again) fun with a friend, because the ambience of the temple makes it spooky.

Research: Nice dark rainy setting, poor design in some places, the map is a little too open which makes for pistol duels from miles away. But has some cool little places to hide.

Fast Trak: Fun map, some cool design in some places, and also some below average design. Playing Duke Match with a friend is fun, except for the tele-porter abuse. (shooting rockets and shrinkers through it, placing trip bombs behind them)

Death Matchers Delight: Never got to play it with a friend unfortunately, it looks like it would be fun though, as for the design, I wish I could've come up with more original stuff and added more designs here and there but it's alright as is.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 02:01:18 AM by RottKing »

- - Assassins, join the conspiracy. - -

Turpuli

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2003, 08:21:45 AM »
A good mapper should do this. Dukebert did it for '98 en '99, turpuli for '00, I did it for '01 and '02. Now someone has to take it over  Wish Billy Boy could do this  Or Bob Averill in his style but then with snow.. hmm that would be nice.
:biggrin:   I almost forgot xmas2k  :D   As a map it's really crappy, but the main thing in it is the atmosphere  ;)   It's just friggin' crazy :P   Angry dwarfs wearing xmas hats throwing snowballs at you in Santa's crappy workshop!  And happy xmas music on the background  :P  Oh, and the "elves" swear all the time (in finnish, though)   I know...  I'm a little twisted  :D

Anyway, about my other maps...

First of all, there's dozens of maps I have never released.  So I won't say anything about them...  Back in '99 I released some maps.  Looking back I think that it was a big mistake to let out such pieces of (insert a negative word).  The biggest mistake was releasing an unfinished map!  I accidentally uploaded the wrong zip file...  The one out there was an alpha version.  I put it on a disk and pass it to some of my friends for testing purposes.  There is a readme included in the zip but even that is unfinished!  If someone manages to find that map somewhere, please don't touch it!  Trust me, you don't want to see it!!  (and now everybody goes searching for that map...)  :P

Ok, maybe some of the '99 (- early '00) maps aren't totally worthless...
I personally liked Alleys, Flood, Nukeshop, mi2l5 and mi2l2.  I think they actually have some gameplay value.   :P

Then came S-A.  I really liked some parts of that map, but the main problem with the map was the fact that there was no story, no purpose and most of all, it had some really bad errors in it's design: too many doors that lead to nowhere, too big places etc...

The next map off the production line was Escape From Area 54.  It was supposed to be something special, a bit like HL.  I think I started it well, I'm still quite satisfied with some of the locations in it.  But then I just got bored with it and finished it as fast as I could.  I rushed.  *Sniff* what a great map it could have been if I just would have had the patience to finish it properly  :cry:   Well, I think it's quite nice as a action map  :P

Then, in the late '00s I released a map which tried to imitate the original DN3D style.  I think I succeeded in that well enough.  It's quite entertaining little map but it's just too short.  Well, the original maps were short too...  :D

Years 2001-2002 were the busiest time of my life so far so I didn't use build too often...

So, the next big release (if my memory serves me correctly, the only one) after Invaders (December 2000) was Extermination in April 2003.  Extermination is without a doubt the best of my maps so far.  Finally I didn't rush it too much...  I think There's some stuff that could be better but I'm very satisfied with the map.

What will be the next map and when it will be released?  I don't know.  I have tons of ideas, even a couple of bit more original ones...  Actually I'm working on two DN3D projects now but more of them later...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 08:22:22 AM by Turpuli »

alejandro

• Administrator
  • AMC's Almighty Hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2003, 11:42:39 AM »
Ok let's see something about my maps :P

ADG1-5: The ones I mostly love. Sure if I look at them now I will find a billion of wrong things, but these maps where by far the ones I most enjoyed making and playing. As to mention a wrong thing, I'd just say that I just played with build without taking care of limits and stuff, in other words my behavior was more like a kid playing with a toy than a professional guy doing his job. Other bad thing is that you can easily notice that I've put so much attention in making some places and some others look unfinished just because of the will to have them out fast. :P Many things in these maps were inspired by Bob Averill's maps, whose reaction was mailing me, saying that "he was proud of seeing some of his stuff in a so nice map" :eek:

Borg Nukem E2L4 (Old Spaceship): My first map for a TC, it was a cool thing to be asked to make a map for a nice project as Borg Nukem. However this map had the same problem as the first ADG maps: some places looked overdetailed, and some other ones looked empty. However it had a nice gameplay and some great stages.

Borg Nukem E2L3 (Star ship): I've made this one after finishing Borg Nukem's E2L4. Bad point is that I had less inspiration to make this map than the previous one and you can surely notice that in the end result; however it also had some nice-looking scenes and a not so great but anyways fun gameplay.

YMF500G: What I mostly liked in this one is that it had the style I had before getting the Atomic Edition. I've made maps with that style some years before altough never got even a fraction on "serious" with these ones (they were like 100 sectors in total :D making one or two rooms). But it got to be much higher quality because now I had some serious mapping experience with the ADG series. It was also (I think) the first time I tried to put an interactive storyline in the map. Bad things are that (for same reasons as the previous one) some things have been left unfinished, particularly now I remember the asteroid effect. It crashed with the ship and... stayed there for the whole eternity like if it was indestructible or something even after the explosion :P I guess I could've made something with trains or sliding doors to fix that and put the thing below a parallaxed wall or something but well... I didn't. :P

EDF Secret Base: I liked this map a lot as it had many new things and also different kinds of scenes (hi-tech, nature (or well at least a little some of it :P ), underwater, etc). Too bad it was inspired in Half Life and someone made maps inspired in that game before, then started shouting like a ten year old kid like if he had a contract with valve or something (?), and I ended asking sites to remove this map because the thing I least wanted is to have someone mocking about something like this. Bad points about the map? I think it had a bug with an elevator, but can't really remember now... anyway this map didn't really have wrong things to see.

The Lost Moonbase: This map was some kind of experiment in seeking for a new look based in coloured lights, intense shadows and stuff. Result was good, but a little bit... ehm... very much :D not-realistic. Some people ended loving it, some other ones (like me) ended thinking it was ok and some others thought it was just horrible. This map had some neat effects, the one I most liked was the ending explosion, based on scenes that I always liked from the Sonic the Hedgehog (sega genesis) games.

Hydrostation: This time I aimed to create a more realistic and detailed map. As far as I remember this one got some inspiration from the "Fusion" map made by Dani J Swanson. I don't really have bad things to comment on this one, I just loved how it ended being :D

Military Madness: I think this one was the most complex and "professional" map made by me. I've used almost all the Duke resources (file was over 460kb) and it had like ten new effects; the one I've mostly liked is the key-pressing one. Also it was one of the funnier gameplays in my point of views. Again I don't really have wrong things to say; I just don't like the fact of saying that some effects were done in really dirty ways; but I think that at this point we know Duke is all about faking stuff. :P

Space showdown: I don't have much to comment on this one, was my first and lastw attempt to make a DM map. I've used the chance to put almost all the detail I wanted in a map by the disappearing of the need to make it long for SP playing. I've played it against humans a couple times and I think it was fun, but I would've liked to see how would it be for four players or more.

Eye-Witness: This was a true experiment, of making a map together with someone. Kef's building style always was different of mine but I think we fitted well in this one. Also you know it's a different kind of city map, more like a small one instead of the extremly big metropolis we use to see in almost all Duke city maps. I had some real fun making it, by sending it over MSN to Kef almost every day :)

Blackened: Another city map. I've aimed to make this one with a mix of the style I was having in my other maps, and a bit of the original Duke style mixed there. The part I've mostly liked was the train station; for some reasons I always liked trains a lot so well, you'll know I've enjoyed making it ;) Also I think it's the first time I did more things with sector-over-sector, but I'm not really sure about this one. (I've never thought in making these things in other maps, don't know why, but later I've found out that even if I wouldn't imagine it, it really adds a lot of realism to the maps.)

Alien Wipeout: Another "experiment" map. I had already made an alien level with ADG05 but you know it wasn't a real full map. The bad point about this one is that I started with full inspiration at the beginning and the rest of the rooms look like fastly made to "somehow" complete the map. However I liked the kind of details it had, but I surely think they were better in some other maps.

Welcome Home: My latest released map. In truth this map was made a long time ago, originally done for the second episode of the Grins of Divinity TC which sadly got cancelled. Then I added enemies and stuff, and released it. It has one of my most liked designs, also it's my only map with custom textures. However it has the same problem as some other ones before: some places look still unfinished; as they were meant to have an use in the TC, but would have no sense in a common Single-Player map.

That's it for now... Nowadays using Build is a pain in the ass for me because I am on Windows XP and when you're on this situation you know that having to reboot into Windows 98 to use a program is a really annoying thing. But I still have some Duke projects going on, like the Sonic TC, even if I don't put as much attention to that as before. Currently I'm making a map for Counter-Strike which is based on a train station. I like it so far, I just hope I finish it :D and show to you people to see what do you think about that one.

Maartn

• AMC Staff
  • Arriving Somewhere...But Not Here
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2003, 04:05:54 AM »
^
Didn't u forgot your snow-dm map? ;) And Mrline forgot his map for Bornukem lol :aha:

Hmm btw, I really notice by very much people they "rush" the map at the end lol  :eek: Even I did it :oops:

Mikko Sand, back then in the the history of 2002:
(...) in 2005, and I hardly think anynone plays duke then

XTHX2 @ msn:
I want to see DavoX finding something sexual
at that sentence

Merlijn on MSN:
oh well with Davox around...
I mean he could even find some sexual context if there was a discussion about coffee-pads ;)

alejandro

• Administrator
  • AMC's Almighty Hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2003, 05:28:40 AM »
Did I release it? Damn, I wouldn't remember that map :D

What I can say about it is... was nice to make something in that theme; but it's just too small. (one area, a corridor and that's all). However I like these up-to-3-players scenarios. Shading in the outside could have been much better. I've also made a CDuke3D version of that map but I don't think anyone has seen it apart from me.

William Gee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2003, 08:24:35 AM »
Hmm btw, I really notice by very much people they "rush" the map at the end lol  Even I did it 

I rushed WGSpace 3 to release it for Christmas :S
+ I rushed WGSpace 2 to release it b4 Ale's Alien map :o
Other than that i dont think i rushed anything.

Dont think i will again  :mrgreen:  i hope  ;-|  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top