Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• March 20, 2019, 04:35:54 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Budget Game Reviews  (Read 71091 times)

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Budget Game Reviews
« on: May 30, 2004, 03:27:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of older games. Not Doom-old ( even though I like Doom as well ), but more Quake2 oldish. They hardly have loading times, you can set all the settings to the maximum, and they don't lag. Lovely.

Now I though - heeeey! - let's start a topic where you can review budget games that you've just bought. The name, the price, what you think of it and a general conclusion saying it's worth the money or not. Anyone in? I'll start in my next post :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:37:25 PM by eralp »
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Budget games and budget game reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 03:28:39 PM »
Game: Delta Force 2
Price: Around 5 euros
Extras: B-movie DVD based on the game

Delta Force 2 = big areas, missions, and weapons. Even though it's not as exciting as let's say the randomly generated maps in Soldier of Fortune 2, it's still fun to play thanks to the large amount of mission and the rather easy difficulty.
Harsly enough the game doesn't support 3d ( for as far as I know ) so it'll look a bit corny, and the maximum resolution is 800X600 - what gets annoying when you want to snipe someone in the distance. There also aren't any hitzones on enemies, so a well-aimed shot in their leg will take them out every time. This also happens with you, so be sure to stay covered.
The installation worked perfectly, the game doesn't crash and it takes up 170 mb, what isn't that much compared to SoF2.
The DVD that I got with the game is utter crap - it looks like a 2 hour episode of the A-team, only with more horrible actors.

Conclusion: Worth the money, fun to play, won't get old very fast. To bad about the low resolution and the lack of 3d support.

Get my drift?  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 03:29:42 PM by Fakir »

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 03:55:49 PM »
I never buy old games, I only buy the new ones...and OPF is the only oldie I bought.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 04:30:58 PM »
Game: Delta Force
Price: I paid 10€uros about four years ago

Fun & easy game. Follows the path of realism started by Rainbow Six in -98. Surely not the most realistic game since the enemies are all boneheads & you can easily take down any enemy with just one shot no matter how far he is. Sniping is fun, playing with other guns (mp5) is more exciting. Levels tend to repeat themselves but that doesn't matter - environment is always nice to look at and only some of the levels got too confusing. There's no Save Game feature which is always a major design flaw.

Conclusion: This one's for AWM/military freaks - not too realistic and not too hard. Simple action packed military game.

The DVD that I got with the game is utter crap - it looks like a 2 hour episode of the A-team, only with more horrible actors.

You got that right - I prefer those two old Delta Force movies over these new ones - at least they had Chuck Norris;)  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 04:32:06 PM by MSandt »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 04:53:09 PM »
^Me agrees. Better than the original product.  
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

LAW

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 10:38:45 PM »
Bad. It would be nice if tell the specs to run game on optimum  :rolleyes:  

LAW

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 10:59:39 PM »
U meant Delta Force 1 ? I played Delta Force 2 and it was laggy on that HUGE desert with huge pyramid :(

LAW

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 11:06:21 PM »
^ hmm could be. I dunno. THX U clarified some things to me :)

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 01:22:37 AM »
Game: Daikatana
Price: Again, around 5 euros

Good points:
Fantastic music. Daikatana has alot of different levels and level styles, and every style comes with it's own music, sounds, weapons and enemies.
Design of the maps is good in all four time periods, although there aren't many puzzles and it's mostly straight-forward shooting fun. Supports deathmatch, and doesn't require the cd to run. Also, it doesn't crash.

Bad points:
Doesn't run that fast, even on a newer machine. Also, the bots that should help you along the way aren't really usefull when it comes to AI.
The install is rather large - and it takes a long time to install ( version I bought had a patch with it - that took ages ).

Conclusion:
Very nice game to buy. Music is fantastic - and can be copied from the /music folder to listen to anytime. Levels, enemies, weapons and ambience is all very splendid. However, it doesn't have many new things if you've played more FPS games than Duke3d.

( can't this topic be an important one? )

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 01:59:01 AM »
Game: SiN
Price: Around 5 Euros
I heard a lot of good things about this game so I finally managed to get my hands on it. It was more than worth it! The enviroments in this game are really interactive - you can affect other levels by your actions in the current one (I remember turning a valve and filling another level in Lava :D ) Like in Duke, Blade says stuff when you kill enemies which is pretty cool (y)

Although this came out around the same time as HL (and as a result was brushed under the door by many people, and the fact that the game was initially buggy didn't help) I think that SiN is a good game on par with HL easily. The whole game just has the atmosphere of a movie which makes it pretty damn immersive. The levels range from Chemical labs to City Banks to Oil rigs and Tropical islands.

The only bad things about SiN is that it has a Warehouse level (and I hate warehouse levels). It's based on Quake 2 Engine so the models suffer from the Jelly-effect (In other words the models Wobble during their animations) but really that doesn't bug me at all ;)

This is a great game so don't miss the chance to get it if you can. If you can run Quake 2 on your Computer than you'll be able to run this with no problems at all.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 01:59:33 AM by James »

LAW

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 04:59:39 AM »
Is Sin so stupid as Quake 2 was, which REQUIRED Sound Blaster to run :( Same as Turok 1 wanted Direc 3D card (n)

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 12:21:57 AM »
Game: Dune2000
Price: 10 euro

Good points:
Well, it's dune2 only newer. If you've played dune2 then you'll recognise some sounds from the original, as well as some remixed music tracks which'll take you through memory lane. Also, there are again three different camps to choose from, and they all have their own maps.

Bad points:
Only runs at 800X600, isn't as good as dune2 was, doesn't keep you playing for hours like red alert does, and doesn't have enough variaty in buildings and units.

Conclusion:
Not really worth it. Since I've bought this game I've played it maybe 4 times, and I never completed a map because it just got too boring, even in skirmish. Maybe if you're a big fan of RTS games and you just have to own every one of them, but if not just leave it be.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 12:23:13 AM by Fakir »

HighWire

• Survival
  • The ConstruKction of Light
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 01:08:19 AM »
Game: CIA Operative
Price: I bought this for 40 euros

Good Points: The missions are filled with a shitload of radio sound. Some guy is informing you what to do all the time. Provides a nice atmosphere.

Bad Points: Get ready...

The price was too fucking high for this piece of crap. All characters in this game use the same model (with the exception of the females. All weapons are low-poly and poorly textured. Weapon sounds are poorly recorded. Probably some Valu Soft guys clapping in front of a microphone.
The game only provides an hour of gameplay (or you have to be a deaf, dumb, and blind guy, in which case means you´ll only need 2 hours to finish it) The
installation is HUGE!!! Takes up to 400 mb for just one fucking hour of gameplay.
A retarded ´Big Foot mode´. Replaces all game characters in bigfoot guys. (funny). Can be activated when you finished the game and bent on replaying it. (If you haven´t suffered enough) And oh, I paid 40 euros for a game with 2 different character models.. 3 low poly weapons.. and 6 levels providing 1 hour of fun.

Conclusion: doh, just stay away from this fucking piece of crap. I bought a fucking low budget game for 40 euros at the local Dynabyte. The case of the game was even more worth than the game itself. (it had some nice cuttings giving the image in front of it a 3 dimensional look.

Stay away, stay away, stay away.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 01:13:54 AM by HighWire »
"...I need to code in Rusty's balls as well." - James

Stef

• AMC Staff
    • MSN Messenger - stephmeganck@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gordonnukem@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 12:47:37 AM »
This topic is really great   :) I will cetainly add according the  last games I bought for some euro...(Die Hard, The thing and NOLF1) But I need first to play them :lol:  

the future world champion...in  2 or 3 years

Semicharm

• ICQ Messenger - 16426403
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RPGSpree
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Semi_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 10:40:28 AM »
God, I almost never buy new games, so I have shelves of budget titles.  :D  New games cost too much and the hardware need to run it does cost even more.  With older titles you can run every thing on high, even on a modest machine, and enjoy it more than you could have back in it's day.

The last ones I played were Max Payne ($10US) and Gabriel Knight 3:Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned ($3US).  

What can I say about Max Payne?  It was a awesome, atmospheric and loads of fun.  Some of the bosses were ridiculously hard though and I had some sound issues that I never could fix.

Gabriel Knight 3, the last of the series was interesting, but a bit disappointing.  The graphics where good for it's time, even though the texturing of the models could use some serious work.  The story is just as good as the others in the series, but I didn't care much for the religious overtones and some of the puzzles were a bit too hard.  It's a must have for any fan of the series, otherwise there are plenty of other great adventure games.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:05:32 AM by Semicharm »
"Every day is now consumed with the struggle against the tides of madness that threaten to besiege my mind."
Children of Time: The Lost Souls, Jestique Larens
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top