Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• January 19, 2019, 01:03:17 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Budget Game Reviews  (Read 70226 times)

kinslayermds

• AOL Instant Messenger - kinslayermds
    • View Profile
    • Email
Budget games and budget game reviews
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 04:30:50 AM »
Clive Barkers Undying

Next to System Shock 2 the scariest game Ive played for a pc.
The use of ambient sounds up the tension with just 2 speakers, and the old Unreal engine holds up at least to my eyes.  I bought this in a four pack with, No One Lives Forever 1, The Gunmen Chronicles, Die Hard: the Nakatomi Plaza, and American Mcgees Alice.

But Undying is my favorite of the pack and two and a half (<--Gunmen :rolleyes:  ) games are not bad for  $20.00 US oh and Alice did not did not age well on the game play side(Great levels though)

"Some people are really fucking stupid"-Gorge Carlin
"Far Cry is Halo in the jungle"-I
"She's not dead. Just, rotting."-lionel
"No really Far Cry for free is a ripoff"-I
"I see you're drinking 1% milk. Is that because you think you're fat? Because you're not. You could probably be drinking whole milk."-Napoleon Dynamite
"We're all fucked. It helps to remember that."-Gorge Carlin

Semicharm

• ICQ Messenger - 16426403
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RPGSpree
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Semi_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 04:45:45 AM »
Damn, I've been looking for Undying and System Shock 2.  The copy my friend gave me didn't work.
"Every day is now consumed with the struggle against the tides of madness that threaten to besiege my mind."
Children of Time: The Lost Souls, Jestique Larens

kinslayermds

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 05:20:29 AM »
well if you cant wait try the first deus ex it should be cheap
or try to find a copy of ultima underworld... I think there was an issue of pc gammer a few years ago that had that and ten other old greats... now that I think of it there was x-com 1, UU, monkey Island, and a windows98se compatible version of ultima one... WHY DID THAT DISC HAVE TO BREAK! uh sorry... All games mentiond in this post are excellent. really I would give all of them five A's out five one hundred percents.

aka great
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 05:21:43 AM by kinslayermds »
"I see you're drinking 1% milk. Is that because you think you're fat? Because you're not. You could probably be drinking whole milk."-Napoleon Dynamite

Semicharm

• ICQ Messenger - 16426403
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RPGSpree
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Semi_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 08:00:23 PM »
well if you cant wait try the first deus ex it should be cheap
Have it, but haven't played it yet

or try to find a copy of ultima underworld...
Played 1&2.  They're awesome games!  I thought the second one was way better though.  Whenever someone spouts off saying Wolfenstein was the pinnacle of first person games at its, time I tell them to play underworld!  It realy was lightyears ahead. (textured polygon renderer and voxels to name a few)
"Every day is now consumed with the struggle against the tides of madness that threaten to besiege my mind."
Children of Time: The Lost Souls, Jestique Larens

kinslayermds

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 07:23:40 AM »
just ignore the voice "acting" ? in deus ex

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 06:40:55 PM »
^Hahah, I like that one :D
"heh, a sidenote, Id not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wont work." - Gambini

Last.fm

_

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 08:08:08 PM »
By the way; PCGamer Disc - July 2000:
- Links: The Challenge of Gold
- X-COM: UFO Defence
- Terminal Velocity
- Alone in the Dark
- Duke Nukem II
- King's Quest
- Descent

I remember i bought King's Quest 5  from a things with lower price game like this. I also bought Street Racer. (I had lots of fun time with Street Racer)  

I never finished King's Quest 5, it was my first adventure game like this one, i never finished it. After i had in this adventure style "Indiana Jones and the last crusade" and this one, i finished it a year ago only  :P

Chris Coleman

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 09:35:53 AM »
I have that PCGamer disc... good stuff there. :)

Plus... hehehe... If you DON'T have the January 2004 CGW DVD you missed out bigtime... (Deus Ex 1 and a shitload of other full games were on it!)

Also... System Shock II is available for free on the internet... (Just can't remember exactly where... I got it off some french website though. :) )

Ah yes... Gunman Chronicles, somewhat lacking SP play... but devilish fun in MP.

Additional budget fun:

$20 US, look for "Freelancer" and to make it worth replaying goto www.lancersreactor.com/t/ to hit up a modular modification manager. There are some hurking huge 100+ MB TCs for it. Wanna play in the Babylon 5 Universe or a dozen others? You can.

Yet another:

$20 US as of two years ago, probably less now. A package called "Totally Unreal" has Unreal Gold (Unreal I + exspansion pack) and the GOTY of the original UT with a fourth CD patching it upto v436 and the fourth bonus pack (1-3 are integrated into the GOTY version) Also it has a reworked tourney from the original version. Newer maps integrated. Also still out there is all the massive TCs I talked about back then. Xidia Gold and RTNP (Return to Na Pali) from Team Phanlanx are still some of the absolute best gameplay that is out there. A CO-OP game of the original Unreal is great fun too.

Thats my two cents, this forum topic needed a refresh. I have a few more titles stocked up I could talk about... but this post is long enough already!

mrline

• Moderators
  • Mommy, there's a dinosaur in our backyard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 04:47:07 PM »
Let's get this topic back since it's a quite interesting topic.

Games I bought last year:

Doom3

Price I paid: 50 euro's (might be cheaper now? dunno)

Pro's: dark, scary, immersive, atmospheric and fun. Awesome graphics too. So it's a very solid horror FPS.

Cons: system requirements, I experienced some lag on certain locations (esp. when much enemies at the same time appear).

Conclusion: certainly your moneys worth if your computer can handle it.

Duke Nukem: Manhattan project

Price I paid: 5 euro's

Pro's: It's FUN! Blowing up pig cops with pipebombs never gets old. Graphics look great too, especially for a side-scroller. Captured Duke's attitude very well too.

Cons: couldn't think of anything serious really. It's a bit short maybe.

Conclusion: certainty worth even more then 5 euro's!

Unreal2

Price I paid: none, I borrowed it.

PRo's: great graphics, some missions are fun and the skaarj still are cool enemies.

Con's: cohesion is kinda bad, there's too many random missions that don't forward the plot in any way, the parts back in your ship and the cutscenes are too long and not dramatic enough. In short: the game lacks something.

Conclusion: don't know how much you have to pay for it, but invest your money in something else, such as UT2004tk :P
Quakis: DP3 never took place in a city? ( can't rembeer actually )

Maarten: OMGWTFSTUCKINVENTILATIONSHAFT!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=374342&T=9052

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce dsert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 06:03:08 PM »
Game: Rainbow Six 3 - Raven Shield
Price Paid: Less than 15

You can get Raven Shield anywhere for less than 20uros. It's really worth every penny. The gameplay is suberb - the stealth mission is typically very exciting, the locations vary a lot and thanks to Unreal Engine they look very good. Enemies are still stupid/too accurate but that kinda fits with the fact that you can't save during the levels. Unlike in previous R6 games in Raven Shield you can see the weapons on screen just like in other FPS games.

Rating: 4/5
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 11:45:54 PM »
Duke Nukem: Manhattan project

Price I paid: 5 euro's

Pro's: It's FUN! Blowing up pig cops with pipebombs never gets old. Graphics look great too, especially for a side-scroller. Captured Duke's attitude very well too.

Cons: couldn't think of anything serious really. It's a bit short maybe.

Conclusion: certainty worth even more then 5 euro's!

[snapback]102457[/snapback]

Bah, you suck :P
DNMP sucked IMO, it couldn't entertain me at all.
"heh, a sidenote, Id not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wont work." - Gambini

Last.fm

mrline

• Moderators
  • Mommy, there's a dinosaur in our backyard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 12:35:03 AM »
Why is that Sang? I tought it was an exellent mixture of duke3d and the old sidescroller duke games. And it's a blast to play (alltough music is kinda annoying) :D

Oh and another game I recently played:

Serious Sam

Price: N/A

PRo's: mindless shooting is fun when you're in the mood and some enemies are really fun (those bulls and the kamikaze guys). Plus it has a splitscreen option! Me and my brother had lotsa fun playing this game with splitscreen. Graphics are good (especially outside locations are well done) and the final boss was cool.
Humor is nice.

Con's: some very annoying enemies, esp when you have to keep fighting endless waves of them. Sometimes it's just overkill. Story is non-existant, it's nothing more then mindless shooting endless hordes of aliens.

COnclusion: it's a good looking FPS with classic doom styled gameplay (mindless shooting) which is fun every once in a while. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quakis: DP3 never took place in a city? ( can't rembeer actually )

Maarten: OMGWTFSTUCKINVENTILATIONSHAFT!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=374342&T=9052

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 12:44:04 AM »
Now that I agree with, Serious Sam was fun to play once, maybe twice but no more.
I attend to buy Serious Sam: The Second Encounter and I eagerly await the release of Serious Sam 2.

Last.fm

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 12:46:33 AM »
How could anyone not like MP?
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 10:38:20 PM »
Yeah babes and nudity are the most important aspect in a game  :dry:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:38:32 PM by Sang »

Last.fm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top