Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• February 24, 2020, 06:26:33 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Half-Life 2: Episode One  (Read 22768 times)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Half-Life 2: Episode One
« on: April 11, 2005, 08:00:32 PM »
Valve recently announced the first official HL2 Mission Pack - Aftermath which has been set to be released next summer. The story picks up where the original HL2 left and Alyx has been rumoured to have an important role in it - although it's not yet known if you can actually play as her. BUT it has been also rumoured that Aftermath will be only available through STEAM. In other words - no credit card = no Aftermath. :(

Just too bad. First of all the idea of continuing the original HL2 doesn't really turn me on - retelling the story through someone else's eyes would have been better. And then of course - I have no credit card.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:48:58 PM by erc »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Rusty Nails

• Private
    • ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 08:13:43 PM »
Steam.. Man they're digging their own grave and they don't even know it. How fucking stupid can they be?  :blink:

-Rusty Nails
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:49:07 PM by erc »
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

Quakis

• MSN Messenger - quakis_962@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
Read about this yesterday, found the thread at 3DR... My dad WON'T use his credit card for anything for me (of course I'd pay him for what I'd buy) and I don't think I'd have one until I'm what-ever-age.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:49:15 PM by erc »

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 10:42:34 PM »
I think Steam is pretty damn good actually - I've had little problems with it but I can't order anything from it for the same reason as Quakis (my mother's really fucking paranoid about security and refuses to order from anything but Amazon).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:49:32 PM by erc »

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »
My dad will probably agree with the buy, he knows that I know what is a good source to purchase stuff from and whatnot.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:50:20 PM by erc »
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

HighWire

• Survival
  • The ConstruKction of Light
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 01:50:13 AM »
Bye Valve! Bye Half-Life!

I'll stick with Doom.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:50:29 PM by erc »
"...I need to code in Rusty's balls as well." - James

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 05:45:56 AM »
Great news! Apparently the bank I'm using - Nordea - has added a function to these Visa Electron cards which allows you to transfer (pay) money to foreign accounts (until now you have been able to do that domestically only) - a credit card-type function. And I just happen to have a card like that. :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:50:37 PM by erc »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Moloch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 05:58:13 AM »
Be careful, they tend to charge extra "fee" for these services. Depending on the bank, even up to 15%.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:50:46 PM by erc »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 06:42:03 AM »
Be careful, they tend to charge extra "fee" for these services. Depending on the bank, even up to 15%.

You mean the bank or Valve? At least the bank I'm using is offering these services for free. I just activated the online-payment option (well the one that can be used like credit cards - I have been paying online for years but only in domestic businesses).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:50:54 PM by erc »

Moloch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 04:24:26 PM »
The bank. Banks usually don't charge you nothing for the service, but they do take a percentage for every transaction. Check the small print of course. This may not be the case with the particular bank.

The same happens when you collect money at the ATM that does not belong to the same bank you are in. You get your money at any ATM that supports Cirrus cards, for instance, but they take extra 5% of the money collected directly from your account.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:51:04 PM by erc »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 05:14:51 PM »
The same happens when you collect money at the ATM that does not belong to the same bank you are in. You get your money at any ATM that supports Cirrus cards, for instance, but they take extra 5% of the money collected directly from your account.

Yeah rings a bell but I don't think we have had such payments for years because of the competition.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:51:18 PM by erc »

Moloch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 06:30:54 PM »
There's a zillion of banks here and they all agreed on 5% fee minimum for ATM withdrawal compensation. ;) This is so common most people don't even know it.

Oh and one more thing: although Visa Electron can be used for online transactions, the online shop has to support it and most don't because a deal for each supported card costs a lot (it's a good investment only if a lot of people use it). As far as I can tell Steam only supports regular visa out of the Visa card family.

http://international.visa.com/ps/products/electron/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/3717331.stm

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:52:45 PM by erc »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 09:08:30 PM »
There's a zillion of banks here and they all agreed on 5% fee minimum for ATM withdrawal compensation. ;)

Yeah that can happen too. :( Here driving schools have agreed not to lower prices so that they all can maintain relatively high prices (around 1600€).

Oh and one more thing: although Visa Electron can be used for online transactions, the online shop has to support it and most don't because a deal for each supported card costs a lot

I know this and I'm familiar with the system. And most popular foreign online shops (such as play.com which has the best discount prices and relatively low prices for all their products) seem to support the "Verified by Visa" function.

And STEAM does support this function too. I know people who have opened their accounts with these Electrons.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:52:59 PM by erc »

Moloch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 04:04:09 AM »
That's good news then -- I have Visa Electron too. Although Valve should update Steam web; since Visa Electron has it's own logo...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:53:07 PM by erc »

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Half-Life 2: Episode One
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 07:41:59 PM »
Since it's been released, I played it through 3 times, once with commentary. It's not too long, it took me 3 and a half hours at first so that's part of a reason why I replayed it so many times. I'll just give a small review here for you guys :P

Episode 1 is much more streamlined than Half-life 2. It's clear Valve has taken the criticisms of Half-life 2, mainly that some segments were a task and not really that fun and worked on them since there's just about no dull sections here. It IS short, but none of that time is wasted doing boring stuff. The time spent playing you're always doing something rather than making your way to the next set peice. More games should concentrate on cutting out on crappy corridoors and just concentrating on great set peices. There's puzzles in this one as well, but they're fun compared to HL2's puzzles which were mostly just showing off the physics (Seesaw puzzle, I'm looking at you!)

Alyx accompanies you through the whole of the episode, but you can relax - She's the most competant ally in a FPS game I've seen yet. She never gets lost or stuck somewhere, she's never died on me (She has a shitload of health, but I'm not complaining since having a weak ally who I have to constantly watch is annoying) and she's useful. She also makes a few entertaining comments. There's only 2 new enemies here, the Stalker and the Zombine (4 if you count 2 enemies you see but don't fight) but I don't think that's bad. Some people complain that there's no new weapons but I don't think adding some was neccesary for this segment. It's the same as Blue Shift - people bitched about no new weapons even though the level design was excellent, and it added new plot points (I'd say there's some pretty damn major plot points in episode 1)

Episode 1 has HDR support - my card can't support it but I could enable Bloom and it looked great with just that. It's not overused at all, unlike in Lost Coast (Other people have reported that the HDR is much more subtle in this than it was in Lost coast) The graphics really are incredible - seeing the Citadel in it's critical condition was jaw dropping, especially at the end. Load times are also better by the fact that they're not shorter, but the levels themselves are longer and have more gameplay time in them.

tl;dr version - Episode 1 is incredibly streamlined, fun to play and definitly worth the money to buy. It's short, but it has high replay ability due to not taking so long to play through and just being genuinly fun. The ending sequence is fantastic as well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 07:45:19 PM by James »
Pages: [1] 2

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top