Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• August 19, 2019, 09:23:34 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Md3 - SHOW YOURSELF!  (Read 21658 times)

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
Md3 - SHOW YOURSELF!
« on: July 13, 2005, 02:54:36 AM »
What's the correct def-line code for getting the MD3 models to show? It doesn't say anything about it in the release notes.

And about the QC file, how do I convert HL models to Md3? Does the QC file look much different from the Q2.QC file?

Example;
Code: [Select]
// Sample MD2 config, copy into export directory
$modelname Models/Fizzle/fizzle.md2
$origin 0.0 0.0 0.0

// skins
$skinwidth 256
$skinheight 256
$skin Models/Fizzle/skin.png

// sequences
$sequence idle 1 1

Any answers would be very appreciated.

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

Renegado

• View Profile
    • Email
Md3 - SHOW YOURSELF!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 08:02:58 AM »
It's pretty similar to md2, but the proccess after exporting it as an md3 (I for one use Milkshape 3D) varies.

At first, you need to create a .qc file with the same name as the model.
Milkshape 3D can generate the .qc file for you, but you may need to change some things in it, like the skin name.

After generating it, you get something like this:
// Quake III Arena MD3 control file, generated by MilkShape 3D
//
$model "terminator_flamer.md3"
// reference frame
//$frames -1 -1
// frame 1-148
$frames 1 148
$flags 0
$numskins 0

// you can have one or no parent tag

// tags

// meshes (surfaces)
$mesh "terminator_flamer"
$skin "terminator_flamer.png"
$flags 0

Once you got the frames, model name and skin correctly assigned (Milkshape automatically assigns the frame numbers), export your model as an MD3.

But your model isn't ready yet for being used ingame.
With MD2 you would had to assign the animation sequences and his corresponding frames in the .qc file. Milkshape's MD3 exporter doesn't have this ability and you'll need to rename every frame manually, here's when the hard work starts.

Now, download Npherno's MD3 Compiler.
Unzip the files and run MD3Compile.exe
Click on "Import Objects" and load your MD3

At almost the bottom you can see the current frame number and "Milkshape 3D" next to it. That's because at the exporting proccess, Milkshape names all the frames as "Milkshape 3D" so you now have to rename all of them manually to "idle01" "idle02", "run01" "run02" and so on (if someone knows a way to rename them automatically, please! post it!).

Once you've got all your frames correctly renamed, click on "Export Object" and save your MD3.

The def lines are the same as with MD2

Here are the def-lines for this particular model:
// Terminator - Flamer (1405)
model "models/terminator_flamer.md3"
{
   scale 2 shade 2
   skin { pal 0 file "models/terminator_flamer.png" }
   anim { frame0 "idle01" frame1 "idle29" fps 22 flags 0 }
   frame { name "idle01" tile 5660 }

anim { frame0 "run01" frame1 "run29" fps 30 flags 0 }
   frame { name "run01" tile0 5661 tile1 5664 }

anim { frame0 "punch01" frame1 "punch06" fps 11 flags 0 }
   frame { name "punch01" tile0 5665 tile1 5666 }

anim { frame0 "jump01" frame1 "jump24" fps 22 flags 0 }
   frame { name "jump01" tile0 5667 tile1 5669 }

anim { frame0 "death01" frame1 "death28" fps 22 flags 0 }
   frame { name "death01" tile 5670 }
   frame { name "death29" tile 5675 }
}

(I apologize for my bad english :biggrin2:)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 08:08:20 AM by Renegado »
I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate!
-RTCMīs EDuke Source Code Development Center
-Eduke Developerīs Journal
-Duke Espaņa

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
Md3 - SHOW YOURSELF!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:22:51 AM »
Awesome, thank you so much. I'll try this as soon as possible.

I suggest making this thread a sticky by the way. :)

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Md3 - SHOW YOURSELF!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:18:59 PM »
I agree :) Thanks Renegado! (oh and I love the Spaceballs avatar :happy:)

DavoX

Re: Md3 - SHOW YOURSELF!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:32:12 AM »
So how would it be for a static model? like a prop....a car that stays still in the map?

DavoX

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 05:32:55 AM »
Sorry for the previous n00b question...NOW AN IMPORTANT ONE :

Is there any program that lets you export the frames with any name you want? or a program that renames the frames to a preset you selected? THIS ON IS VERY IMPORTANT.

colonel_sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »
What if you have multiple surfaces, like "skin" and "glove" of an arm? In the def files, different groups are defined as surfaces from 0 to xxx. But I don't know which is what surface.

Also is there a better guide to getting from an milkshape3d file to md3 and editing the qc?? still not sure if there are others to edit.

Also home come ALL "model-linking" data is lost even when I implement even HRP original models? When I opened the liztroop's md3 file all I get is the liztroop's model, no animations, no joints, textures had to be relinked. Only a dead model with groups remain. Are there better procedures??

Next is there a polygon limit to duke3d?? I just tweaked my own M4-SOPMOD "FULLY equipped". The "jack-of-all-trades" rifle now has over 10K of polygons. My computer has no problem, but not sure if eduke32 can take it. I remember lobbing a grenade into some crowded spot and got a "too man sprites" crash error.

Roma Loom

• Personal Text
    • ICQ Messenger - 218212227
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:08:20 PM »
What if you have multiple surfaces, like "skin" and "glove" of an arm? In the def files, different groups are defined as surfaces from 0 to xxx. But I don't know which is what surface.
If MD3 contains several objects (meshes) and they are properly named like "Torso", "Head" etc. you can guess surfaces numbers when importing this model into NPherno's MD3 compiler. It shows you the list of objects by their names so the first object in this list is "surface 0", the second object is "surface 1" etc.

Also home come ALL "model-linking" data is lost even when I implement even HRP original models? When I opened the liztroop's md3 file all I get is the liztroop's model, no animations, no joints, textures had to be relinked. Only a dead model with groups remain. Are there better procedures??
The MD3 model doesn't support bones. The animation is stored by frames and depending on software you use for importing you can import all those frames and play animation easily. The texture paths in MD3 models are really useless for JFDuke/EDuke32 since it loads textures defined in def files. Most of the models in HRP have wrong texture names/paths or don't have them at all.

Next is there a polygon limit to duke3d?? I just tweaked my own M4-SOPMOD "FULLY equipped". The "jack-of-all-trades" rifle now has over 10K of polygons. My computer has no problem, but not sure if eduke32 can take it. I remember lobbing a grenade into some crowded spot and got a "too man sprites" crash error.
Noone knows the polycount limit. The less - the better. Just look at the other game's models and define the limit for yorurself. 10k for a weapon is way too much. Silent Hill 3 main character has 15k polys and hell this game is a movie-like realistic. The weapons should stay beyong 2k poly limit in Duke imo.

colonel_sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:39:41 AM »
ah.. thank you sir. However now I have ran into not knowing how to use gamevar to compensate for the frames rather than having frames compensate for gamevar.

Lets say reloading a rifle clip takes some 20  frames to complete its animation as an example. However the default gamevar variables for "Weapon1" (pistol) doesn't allow enough time for all the frames to complete. The animation time required is longer than the time limit which weapon1 is set at.

gamevar WEAPON1_FIREDELAY 2 1
gamevar WEAPON1_HOLDDELAY 0 1
gamevar WEAPON1_TOTALTIME 3 1
gamevar WEAPON1_FLAGS 2 1
gamevar WEAPON1_SHOTSPERBURST 1 1
gamevar WEAPON1_RELOAD 45 1
gamevar WEAPON1_CLIP 30 1

I tried changing values but not sure which to change. I usually end up disabling the weapon totally by adjusting these weapons too and that got me confused.

Mathematically how do you calculate how many duke3d-gamevar units equate to one 3d-frame at 30fps for one animation?? I can speed up the fps, but that would make the game feel like lame fastforward mode.

For some strange reason when I change the RELOAD, FIREDELAY, HOLDDELAY and TOTALTIME, I often end up disabling the weapon completely. While the weapon still shows up, no sound or lead is produced. Is there proper sequence to be done? Did I mistook steps??

Insane_metalhead

• MSN Messenger - Insane_metalhead@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
Hey,

Just a quick question to you guys. I thought there was an ability to change the names, when using milkshape, in the qc file when exporting to md3. Whan are the command lines for the qc file, cuz I can't find it anywhere =/

Thanks in advance

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:31:57 PM »
Read renegadoīs post, it has been very usefull for me, you have to download that md3compiler stuff, and follow his steps.

Insane_metalhead

• MSN Messenger - Insane_metalhead@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
No no that's not what I meant. I always used that program called md3compiler. But there was an easy way doing frame names in the qc file in milkshape by adding a few lines...

Cody

• Ling Ling Into Battle Go!
    • MSN Messenger - codynz3000@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 01:22:42 AM »
Go on the Milkshape 3D forum and look around for some posts by DavoX, There you will find your answer. (unless he answers it here. :P)

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top