Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• August 19, 2019, 09:13:38 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tips to help facilitate your inspiration.  (Read 35416 times)

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tips to help facilitate your inspiration.
« on: March 10, 2006, 01:52:12 AM »
I'm almost positive that tons of these type of threads have been created before, but I couldn't find any/had any energy to search harder so I started a new one.

...So!
Whenever you're dry of inspiration for creating something, it could always help to.. (fill up the list!)

- Take a long walk outside, preferably with some good music on if you have an iPod or a walkman.
- Eat chocolate and keep your mood up! It's easier to think straight and come up with something if you feel good. There's not much difference but I hear dark chocolate is preferred since it has a more positive chemical reactions than light chocolate.
- Share your ideas with someone you know that has some experience in games, doesn't matter if they just play them for fun or know how to make them. The answer you're looking for might be right infront of you and you never knew it.
- Review what you have done so far, what can be improved? Have your skills improved since you started? Do you need to go back and rebuild something because your ideas have evolved since you started the map?
- And ofcourse as we all know, have a design document and write stuff down that you might forget the next day. Make a plan of what you want to do.

Just some tips to guys here that's working hard on something but browse Amc, instead of actually working because they can't figure out what to do next.
(I'm fucking.. knackered so sorry if some of the sentences might sound a bit weird)

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 01:58:05 AM »
- not touch the project for a long while until it doesn't feel like a job anymore, but like a hobby ( like it's supposed to )

- try to find things you've made that you always take for granted and not think twice about and drasticly change them ( destroy your style )
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:26:47 AM »
The next list are the things I usually do;

- If you have a specific construction-issue try checking how others are doing what you are trying to create.
- Go do something completely different from building and just get away from that pc for a while.
Duke4Ever || The Game Collector's Market - Forum for game collectors.
"That Nordbergian wench could be a handful! Several." - Gnarl (Overlord 2)

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 02:59:27 AM »
-If you find you always build a certain theme, try a different one! If you're always building City maps, try making a nature one and see how that suits you.

-Listen to new music as it often makes you think of different ideas than stuff you've heard before

-Also, if you put a CD in don't automatically skip to your favourite track. This may just be me, but I find that if I listen to a whole CD track-by-track rather than just listening to a few tracks it helps me build (Because I don't have to worry about going to change the song once the one I like finishes)

-Having a drink like Coffee also generally helps me (I can't explain it, but I  can't build if I don't have a drink to sip on if I need to think about something) :)

Quakis

• MSN Messenger - quakis_962@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 06:22:42 AM »
[...]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 04:37:36 AM by Quakis »

DavoX

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 06:32:31 AM »
I had the best building sprees when i drank a lot of coke, it kept me alert and ready to build for a few hours, actually i completed 50% of my newest map in one day because of that , but then i began to slowly get distracted and now i map every now and then, it always happens, when you have a fresh idea you try to implement as much as you can in less time possible, then when you see the dimensions of the project you get  a little discouraged, so the best thing to do is building every now and then and if you feel really inspired try to map as long as you can, you never know if you're gonna find yourslelf "in the mood" tomorrow ;)

Edit: IM gonna add one more... Draw sketches of environments that you would like to see in your map, you can make them either 3d or 2d, doesnt matter, it always help when you're mapping because the feeling of not having inspiration or you dont know what to do next is just discouraging, so if you draw something you'll feel better because you know you'll start it and finish it (maybe a nice corridor or a nice construction).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 06:36:20 AM by DavoX »

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 06:04:19 PM »
I get inspiritation by sniffing heroin lol
"heh, a sidenote, IŽd not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wonŽt work." - Gambini

Last.fm

DavoX

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 08:14:58 PM »
I get inspiritation by sniffing heroin lol
[snapback]139863[/snapback]

Can you sniff it? i didn't know that  :P

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 08:49:39 PM »
WELL I CAN

I'M HIGH RIGHT NOW
"heh, a sidenote, IŽd not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wonŽt work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 12:24:16 AM »
Sorry for the /ot but

[...]
[snapback]139833[/snapback]

?
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 12:34:44 AM »
I could understand him doing that for certain other posts, but for posts on a completely different subject?

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »
I could understand him doing that for certain other posts, but for posts on a completely different subject?
He cleared all of his posts dating from Februari 20. He also ditched his avatar and signature. I think the "pedo-drama" left a big mark on him.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 03:38:35 AM by Iggy »
Duke4Ever || The Game Collector's Market - Forum for game collectors.
"That Nordbergian wench could be a handful! Several." - Gnarl (Overlord 2)

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 10:03:17 PM »
I think it's just because he thinks he'll get banned and stuff and he doesn't care about AMC anymore, so maybe he's now going to delete all his posts for that... Wouldn't know :)

Last.fm

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 10:39:43 PM »
Just let him be, he'll probably deal with it best by himself. :)

Anyway, Stock Exchange is a great site for finding inspirational pictures. Take my word for it and go there.. now! :)

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

Daedolon

• View Profile
Re: Tips to help facilitate your inspiration.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
I'd love to have any suggestions from you guys. Music and lazyness is taking my time so I hardly ever work on my Duke mods any more. I currently have two mods that have been going on for awhile. Where the other one is almost finished, the other one is rather much complete design-wise but doesn't have an actual physical form yet (apart from the CON files which I always get done before anything).

I need something to convince me to finish these suckers off! I just watched Escape from New York again (with commentaries this time) and it makes me angry to see my mod isn't anywhere near complete (since the movie shares some similar themes with my other mod). I don't think I'll either can finish it alone, especially the mapping part is a bit (too much) of a challenge.
Pages: [1] 2 3

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top