Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• February 24, 2020, 05:09:30 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Half-Life 2  (Read 30403 times)

FreeFrag

• ICQ Messenger - 144729090
    • MSN Messenger - blaster_b4m
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FreeFragSGS
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - freefragsgs
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:12:29 AM »
I was surprised to get an IM from TerminX saying he likes HL2 better than Doom 3 - and that's a HUGE statement coming from him.

Now I have yet another reason to wish I could grab a better video card.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 08:47:38 PM by erc »
"In truth, I am nothing but a plodding mediocrity - please observe, a plodding mediocrity - for a mere mediocrity does not go very far, but a plodding one gets quite a distance."
-Benjamin Cardozo

FreeFrag

• ICQ Messenger - 144729090
    • MSN Messenger - blaster_b4m
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FreeFragSGS
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - freefragsgs
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 04:37:09 PM »
Alright dammit! I played some of HL2 at my friend's house today- mainly the level with the crazy preacher and the saw blades. It rocked a hell of a lot better than I expected it to. I look forward to making the purchase.
"In truth, I am nothing but a plodding mediocrity - please observe, a plodding mediocrity - for a mere mediocrity does not go very far, but a plodding one gets quite a distance."
-Benjamin Cardozo

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Half-Life 2
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 05:13:29 AM »
Yeehaa - just passed 'Water Hazard' - it was fun but a bit too long.

And Ravenholm sucks.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Rusty Nails

• Private
    • ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 08:43:54 AM »
I finished it a few days ago, it was just what I expected. However the last level wasn't that.. satisfying.

-Rusty Nails
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 08:49:25 PM by erc »
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
Half-Life 2
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:53:34 PM »
The best game ever!!! Can't wait for the mods to come out.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Daedolon

• View Profile
Half-Life 2
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 07:39:29 PM »
My stance on HL2 is, that it is a "very good" release, comparing to all the crap they publish nowadays. I really haven't seen that interesting releases since, would it be, 1997? (except Deus Ex in 2000)

It was all about ok gameplay, plus photorealistic textures and good physics. Although the story overcame HL1's one, it still isn't anything huge. Still, a good game what I will play through at least three more times.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 08:50:24 PM by erc »

SpaceBandit3000

• MSN Messenger - spaceranger3000@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpaceBandit3000
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 10:03:07 AM »
MSandt, what exactly did you not like about Ravenholm?  I had lots of fun there, I thought it was a much needed break from killing the combine.

Chapter I'm on: Anticitizen One

-Ben

"Information isn't meant to be free.  You see, we have a conflict of interest." -Victor Ramsey

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
Half-Life 2
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 08:11:26 PM »
^Well it turned out to be better than I thought. I just thought that things got a bit too weird there. But it got clearly better toward the end - especially the graveyard scene with the mad priest.

Anyways I completed the game about five days ago. The ending was a bit too short and too similar to Half-Life - but all in all the game itself was suberp - not the best game ever since beating FFVII is impossible but clearly the best FPS ever.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 08:11:44 PM by MSandt »

William Gee

• Super moderators
    • MSN Messenger - geewillywizz@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 05:47:25 PM »
played it and its fucking awsome.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 07:37:39 AM »
I got it as an early X-mas present. What do I think? It's a masterpeice. I haven't played a game like this that was truly captivating in ages (yes I did like Doom3 as well, but due to the fact it ran like crap and Hl2 runs like a dream it kinda dampened my enjoyment for it, but I won't blame Id for the fact I have a crap gfx card)

Some of my favourite moments; seeing the Citedel pour hundreds of Scanners out when Barney hands you a crowbar, that was a incredibly creepy moment of thinking 'oh shit I have to fight that with this peice of crap?'; when Father Gregori gives you the shotgun (I saw him with a different gun and I thought 'That's for me isn't it?' and of course the ending (Like Hl1 but way more satisfying)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
Half-Life 2
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 07:55:31 AM »
(yes I did like Doom3 as well, but due to the fact it ran like crap and Hl2 runs like a dream it kinda dampened my enjoyment for it, but I won't blame Id for the fact I have a crap gfx card)

Strange - on my system Doom 3 runs like a dream with HIGH-QUALITY settings and HL2 plays ok with medium graphics.

and of course the ending (Like Hl1 but way more satisfying)

I think the ending was a bit dissappointing compared to HL. Seeing The Citadel fall was neat and all but what happened after that was - well like HL but just shorter and less interesting.

SpaceBandit3000

• View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 02:12:34 PM »
Firefly over at the 3DRealms forum really opened up my eyes concerning G-Man and the ending to HL2.  I, too, thought it was disappointing because I expected a lot of questions to be answered.  But, try to see it this way: Gordon Freeman is a pawn of G-man; G-man takes up offers from other beings or alien races, and Gordon is summoned to do the dirty work.  Once Gordon completes the task, G-man wisks him away.  Freeman himself doesn't belong in HL2, he was simply placed there to complete a pre-determined task.

I was also expecting a boss fight, and I guess the Citadel chapter qualified as one large fight, but I came to realize that even without a boss, isn't there still a sense completion, that Gordon did what he was meant to do?  Sure it seemed sudden, but the Citadel was building up to tell the player that the game was about to end.

Anyway, I found it to be a very satisfying game, everything I expected it to be and more.

-Ben

"Information isn't meant to be free.  You see, we have a conflict of interest." -Victor Ramsey

Quakis

• MSN Messenger - quakis_962@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 05:06:17 AM »
Doom 3 is kinda laggy, the unplayerable laggy, but its not BAD. I finished HL2 and the ending was quite wierd. I still dont know what those wierd pillars are that go up, then crash down are? But other than thism HL2 was awesome. I loved the anvanced Gravity gun. BUT, I remember seeing vid of an electric arm thing, then alyx says "what the." or w/e. I never seen this in here. Nor the part the Strider breaks an upper part of a building when running through it. Hmm

SpaceBandit3000

• View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 06:52:30 AM »
BUT, I remember seeing vid of an electric arm thing, then alyx says "what the." or w/e. I never seen this in here.

You are no doubt referring to the Hydra, which Valve removed before release; they felt the Hydra looked cool impaling enemies and breaking through walls and such, but also that the player wouldn't enjoy fighting them (you see a blue tentacle, a few seconds later you're dead).  I, too, was disappointed by this.

-Ben

Rusty Nails

• Private
    • ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half-Life 2
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 10:58:44 AM »
They removed lots of cool stuff that were in the one year old leak and replaced it with shittier stuff or not at all. I was so disappointed in this.

-Rusty Nails
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/
Pages: [1] 2 3

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top