Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• October 14, 2019, 12:24:23 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [D4E]General feedback  (Read 54386 times)

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
[D4E]General feedback
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:37:01 AM »
Greetings my dear minions, welcome to the new home of D4E's forum.  :wacko: Major thanks to Alejandro for hosting the forum. This topic will serve as a general point for all kinds of feedback on the site. Questions too.

For starters is my next suggestion;
Since D4E's forum is located with two other sections, would it be a good idea to give all D4E-topics a prefix of [D4E] so it'll be easier to recognize them when viewing the main index of this board?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 04:02:39 AM by Iggy »
Duke4Ever || The Game Collector's Market - Forum for game collectors.
"That Nordbergian wench could be a handful! Several." - Gnarl (Overlord 2)

Puritania

• Beach Patrol
    • View Profile
Re: General feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:12:55 AM »
Yes, I like the idea about prefix.
Less sources to confusion.

And congrats with your new 'home'.  -_-
What you believe to be true is false.
-Share my sacrifice.

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [D4E]General feedback
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:19:10 AM »
The motion has been accepted, the only two topics so far got a prefix now.

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:42:40 AM »
The prefix looks a bit silly, I wouldn't use it. So, what are you going to use this forum for?
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:52:09 AM »
Well, this section is now the new forum for Duke4Ever.net, so I'll be posting updates of the site, asking opinions for new content/features and the place to post all of your feedback of the site.

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »
Forgive me if I sound harsh, but looking at your site you could barely fill a thread with that?

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »
I can't say I'm happy with those words, especially considering how much effort I put in it. I seriously doubt that there's another Duke-site out there who gets updated so often as D4E. The previous month had a record of the number of newsmessages either informing about events in the Duke3D-community (TX implementing a new lightningsystem in EDuke32, DeeperThought releasing a new version of DNA) or updates of the site itself (lots of bugfixes, new profile-format for the reviewsystem everybody seems to have forgotten, tons of changes behind the screen I usually don't post messages of but still happen and the new article about the short Duke-movie with an interview).

I also got plans for more updates but I'll post stuff about them when they're ready.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 01:23:37 AM by Iggy »

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 01:30:06 AM »
I'm not saying anything about the site, which serves as a great home for gathered news and having everything duke-related in one place, nor have I said anything about the quantity of updates. (be reasonable though, your site is the only site right now that has the possibility of getting updated so often - planetduke is your only competitor but we all know it's shit)

But since it's mainly a site which, like you said, posts news -- then what are you going to use this forum for, repost posted news? Post how you posted news and then link to your site, where you could've just posted the posted news in a post on amc? I'm just a little confused here, if you were running a site that was primarily aimed at reviews like DNR used to be then I could understand a subforum (though I'd say a stickied thread would still be better) to let everybody know about new reviews - but for general news ("TX impelemting a new lightningsystem in EDuke32, DeeperThought releasing a new version of DNA", and that fukken horrible french movie (but my hate for thát project has nothing to do with this)) I don't really see the point.

Once again, this is not an assault on your site, your haircut, the color scheme or your taste in music.

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 02:28:02 AM »
Well, I gotta admit, if we keep this up we'll surely fill up a thread or two. LOL

Seriously, your comment is very welcome.

This topic is for people posting their comments and opinions of the site, the other one is will be used to post all of the news in it. I quote newsmessage so people can read them and post reactions right away. For lazy people I guess. I'm not sure if I should continue with this tradition. Of course I can create other topics for when I need to know the opinions of people or when there's other stuff to report, outside of newsmessages. I'll have an example for that up soon.

I think this should answer your questions a bit, if not, feel free to let me know.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:31:16 AM by Iggy »

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 02:33:56 AM »
Sure, if you need feedback on new features and you're planning to create a bunch of them over a period of time then it's helpful to have them all in the same subforum. Well ok that'll be all then bye *waves :)

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 02:35:41 AM »
Hastalawindowsvista!

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 03:28:44 PM »
Looking at your site again I think you should consider removing the ava&name from newsposts; leaving more room for the actual post and making the site look more neutral. A post which says 'another great map by Telee' with your ava on the side will look more like a personal opinion than the same post without your ava - then it'll look more like a common knowledge kind of statement. Since you want D4E to be a mega central hub I think the anonymity would suit better.

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »
Looking at your site again I think you should consider removing the ava&name from newsposts; leaving more room for the actual post and making the site look more neutral. A post which says 'another great map by Telee' with your ava on the side will look more like a personal opinion than the same post without your ava - then it'll look more like a common knowledge kind of statement. Since you want D4E to be a mega central hub I think the anonymity would suit better.
The available width for newsmessage is sufficient for the moment. The reason why the name and avatar is next to newsmessages is to give the site a more informal look, since calling it a mega central hub is a bit too much to call it like that (Duke4.net would suit that description more).

Also, the advantage of having newsmessage look like more 'common knowledge' is unkown to me.

That and I have a lot of things on my to-do list, such as that forsaken Sewerside level, adding a SW-section to D4E and several programming issues so messing with something I have considered done a long time ago isn't on my priority list.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 07:35:41 PM by Iggy »

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
I'll be commenting on posts in the news thread which should have been placed here.

I've been checking your site, and I don't see any updates since you got back online.
It got updated today, happy?

so I'd get started on making up new features and stuff for your site to make it a essential part of the Duke community.
So when everyone was whining about the death of DN-R and I spend 2 months creating a reviewsystem where everyone could send in his or hers own review that wasn't essential? Since no one seem to give a shit you're most likely right.

Maybe you can just upload a whole bunch of maps and get some scripts working so people can rate it and leave comments; basicly a review site that's running on it's userbase.
That's possible for me, however, I can clearly see that such thing would require people to sign up for an account before being able to comment and rate userlevels. Why? Spambots. They're able to ruin everything, they're the reason why the tagboard and the guestbook is closed. I have no clue how to program such a feature, the actual commentfeature is easily done but to be able to sign up and use accountrights to post is another thing for me. If I ever get such a function done you'll also be able to post your own levelreviews on the site and moderate them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:31:34 PM by Iggy »

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 08:46:34 PM »
So when everyone was whining about the death of DN-R and I spend 2 months creating a reviewsystem where everyone could send in his or hers own review that wasn't essential? Since no one seem to give a shit you're most likely right.

It doesn't work like that, only people that really love to write but don't know where to start would send in reviews. It's best to consider the visitors to your site as lazy bums, and limit the steps they have to take to BE HEARD to one or two.

The spambot thing is probably right, I'm just about sick of those. But signing up; if you had forums on your site (not hosted here) you cóuld make that happen. I'm not talking about the giant five million subforums for manga kind of forum, but just two polite subforums/threads like you have here, plus the ability to comment and such. That, plus sidestuff like caption contests and such could make it all pretty sweet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top