Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• October 14, 2019, 01:03:59 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [D4E]Review Scores...  (Read 17881 times)

Telee

• View Profile
[D4E]Review Scores...
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:06:30 AM »
Out of the Duke review sites (AMC, DNR, MSDN and TAW) I noticed that there's different grading systems.

With DNR and MSDN, scores are generally higher and from what I've noticed are on a A - F system (90 - 100 excellent, 80 - 90 good, 70 - 80 average, 60 - 70 poor, 0 - 60 very poor). I like this system. But with AMC and TAW, It's completely different. According to Geoffrey an excellent map should be a 7 - I don't agree with this at all. With this system an average map would have a 5/10 - I find this ridiculous, but that might just be me.

Before D4E grows fairly large I want to settle on one grading system, but I don't know which. I need opinions here - I find the A - F system the best, but the other system seems popular, and I want what's best for the community.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 03:56:59 PM by Iggy »

DavoX

Re: Review Scores...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »
It doesn't matter what system you choose, people will be able to tell what grade you gave to the map anyway. People notice the difference between a 7/10 and a 2/10 the same way they notice a 70/100 from a 20/100.

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:59:40 PM »
I never said a good map should score a 7. It's a system I used when I was reviewing here and looking at the other ratings on amc it worked perfectly. Except for that edman map which scored a little high and people got all pissy about that :)
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [D4E]Review Scores...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 04:05:52 PM »
The current ratings go from 1 to 10 with one decimal after the comma, which means you can choose between 91 different scores for a map which sounds sufficient to me. A rating like A to F is unique to America (as far as I know it) and I would like to aim to a more international audience. Plus I must say that a score of A to F never says much to me, but that has the reason that I simply never worked with a ratingsystem like that.

Simply taking a glance at the index and the ratingscope should become clear.

There is also another thing. With numbers being used as rating it opens the door for future features such as showing the average rating a mapper gets or a reviewer hands out when opening someone's profile. With PHP I can write mathematical functions that work with the ratingnumbers while mere letters means not much to PHP. I think this is also something to consider.

According to Geoffrey an excellent map should be a 7 - I don't agree with this at all. With this system an average map would have a 5/10 - I find this ridiculous, but that might just be me.
That's a second discussion and is very opinion sensitive. I personally like to say it like this, if I would score a 7 for a test at high school, would I be satisfied with it? I would. That's why I usually look at these ratings like it were a rating for a test at high school. I have a Dutch high school diploma (Havo level) in front of me from 1973 (just don't ask why and how) and they look at the numbers as follows;

1 = Very bad.
2 = Bad.
3 = Very insufficient.
4 = Insufficient.
5 = Almost sufficient.
6 = Average / sufficient.
7 = Well sufficient.
8 = Good.
9 = Very good.
10 = Excellent.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:42:35 PM by Iggy »
Duke4Ever || The Game Collector's Market - Forum for game collectors.
"That Nordbergian wench could be a handful! Several." - Gnarl (Overlord 2)

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »
an average map would have a 5/10 -

How is it illogical for an average map to score the "average" grade (5/10), as Iggy pointed out?

0 - 60 very poor

rong

10 = Excellent.

10 would be perfect. Being excellent is not always the same as being perfect - in fact I'd have to say it never is. I've played many excellent maps, but none of them have been perfect.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 07:13:27 PM »
It's just a matter of picking a system that works for you and sticking to it. It doesn't matter if all your maps score incredibly high, as long as it's consistent and makes sense in the big picture.

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 07:15:59 PM »
Which will never be the case if you go "i like this map i rate it 99"

and then "oh sith, i like this map even better omg"
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 07:51:04 PM »
That's why I posted my personal system once, but it wasn't meant as a 'do this' type of post. When I was reviewing for AMC I thought that NDZONED was the perfect map, so I rated it with a 80 (IIRC). Every review since then has been based on that rating (and ofcourse the other maps I had reviewed after NDZONED). Worked like a charm, didn't cause fuss in the forums, didn't stand out in a bad way and was still a good rating to judge maps on.

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 08:21:35 PM »
10 = Excellent.

10 would be perfect. Being excellent is not always the same as being perfect - in fact I'd have to say it never is. I've played many excellent maps, but none of them have been perfect.

I said 9 - 10 you ass :P

Thanks for the opinions, I'll go for the other system and get used to it ;)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 09:46:04 PM »
How is it illogical for an average map to score the "average" grade (5/10), as Iggy pointed out?

Not very, but when I see such a rating I immediately think that the map is crap. Maybe this is because of the A-F -type of system we have in Finland (but instead of letters we use numbers from 4 to 10 where 4 equals F).
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »
I said 9 - 10 you ass :P

Yeah but I was quoting Iggy.

Not very, but when I see such a rating I immediately think that the map is crap.

Yeah, me too, but I suppose there's a difference between the literal meaning of the word "average" and the usage of it. I mean, your map, Unreal, while quite fun to play through from what I remember, was only average.

Last.fm

BrotherEd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »
Except for that edman map which scored a little high and people got all pissy about that :)

I remember that.  I guess whatshisface experienced a bunch of errors with it.  Zum well

Fernando

• Mario Nukem Team
  • DNR Admin
    • MSN Messenger - cmarquez@live.cl
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »
I remember that.  I guess whatshisface experienced a bunch of errors with it.  Zum well
Now this is a surprise!! BrotherEd back here! :ph34r:
Fernando Márquez U.
DN-R Official Member Staff

E-Mail contacts available:

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
Woah, that's pretty sudden :o

I know ShrinkDuke returned a while ago as well but he disappeared again. Hope that doesn't happen again. Would be cool if there were an Edman 3 :)

BrotherEd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 10:23:20 AM »
I would love to make an Edman3 but I'm going to the US Air Force Academy here soon so there won't be time for awhile :(  Maybe when I get time there I'll do some work, but only time will tell
Pages: [1] 2

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top