Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• February 24, 2020, 05:50:25 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playing HL1 by H2 Engine  (Read 17379 times)

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Playing HL1 by H2 Engine
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
Is there a mod for this or something?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:17:10 PM by eralp »
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I Play Half Life 1 using the Half Life 2 engine?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
Half-Life: Source is available depending on the version of HL2 you bought: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life:_Source

But HL: Source is crap.

I'd rather keep my eye on this: http://www.blackmesasource.com/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:39:01 AM by MSandt »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
Annoyingly enough, it didn't come with my HL2, even though I bought it recently.  I think Valve knows it's crap, which is why they didn't bother including it with the Orange Box either.

This was just a spur of the moment desire; I'd probably get bored playing through it again after half an hour.

I feel like I've paid for enough Half Life now.  I bought the original game when it was relatively new.  I bought that other singleplayer game with the soldier guy (not the one with barney, the one before that).  And I bought HL2 and the Orange Box.  I'll happily pay for episode 3, but there's no way I'm paying for any more of the older HL games.

EDIT:  Oh cool I just noticed I can download Lost Coast.  But it says I should have a 2.9 GHz CPU, whereas mine is only 2.0.  But I have dual core, so that should be like having 4.0, right?  But I guess it depends on whether they coded it to take advantage of the second core.

EDIT2:  I was curious when it warned me that my CPU wasn't fast enough, so after downloading Lost Coast I did the "video stress test" that comes with it, which is supposed to stress your comp with large view distances and lots of models on screen.  But it ran smooth at an average of 72 fps, so there was nothing to worry about.  I took a view screenshots, like this one which I'm using as my wallpaper:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:36:48 PM by DeeperThought »
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »
I enjoyed Half-life Source, but I think I'm in a minority here (there's a download that adds the HD models and a few high res textures to it which is enough for me)

MusicallyInspired

• ICQ Messenger - 41914835
    • MSN Messenger - shine62@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shine64rm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 10:12:20 PM »
Half-Life Source was only made to show the MOD community how easy it is to port a Gold Source (HL1's engine) game to Source. It wasn't meant to be that great. There are some neat additions, though, like much better lighting, enhanced Source water, and ragdoll effects (no more death animations). But there are no chrome effects in source, so Barney's helmet and the .357 revolver look pretty bland.

You can get HL:Source for $9.99 on Steam by itself. I don't think it's really worth it, though. I also recommend looking out for the Black Mesa MOD.
-Brandon Blume

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »
I have Half-Life: Source, it came with Half-Life 2 for me. I like it, not that bad of a deal at 10$. Whenever I want to play through Half-Life I always play Half-Life: Source because of the ragdolls and water effects.

Once Black Mesa: Source is released though, Half-Life: Source will be completely inferior.

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »
Oh I would agree that Black Mesa: Source looks lightyears ahead of HL (or HL: S, whatever, they're both the same game really) - the question is.. will it capture the same feel?

BM: S really only interests me because I would wish to see how HL would have looked if it were released today. But that wasn't the case and now the original HL has some kind of nostalgic feeling to it that makes people want to go back and replay it. Will BM: S capture that feeling as well? I, for one, doubt it.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:14:42 PM »
I don't get why all the fuzz on BM:S...The levels don't look like they've been pushed to the edge to make the whole mod worthy.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:50 PM »
The levels don't look like they've been pushed to the edge to make the whole mod worthy.

It's not worthy if level design has not been pushed to the edge?
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 10:45:25 PM »
Well it's suppossed to be HL1 but current gen, so far it doesn't look like it.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »
It definitely does! The amount of details is reasonable and practical.

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 10:58:55 PM »
Man I'm getting spoiled by next gen games graphics :(

MUST NOT BE A GRAPHICS WHORE

MusicallyInspired

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »
Dude, how can you say that? BM's maps are incredibly detailed and updated immensely, not just ported with enhanced textures. Have you even SEEN any screenshots lately?

And regarding BM being nostalgic, I don't think that's its purpose. If someone wants to play HL1 for nostalgia then just go back and play HL1. Remakes usually don't offer much of anything in the nostalgia category. I'm looking forward to it because I want to see what it'd be like on a an updated and more realistic engine. No doubt a lot of the things about HL1 that everybody loved won't be included in BM (Barney, for instance. Since they're going to use random security guards and scientists), but rather there will be new awesome things to look forward to.
-Brandon Blume

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 02:15:38 AM »
Yes, I have seen the screenshots, otherwise how would I make an opinion? I never said the screenshots look bad, just not quite finished, AT ALL. (Yes, I know it's a work in progress, so don't start saying how it isn't out yet, etc)

MusicallyInspired

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 05:06:51 AM »
I still don't know how you can say that. If the game was released with those current level designs I'd be quite the happy camper. They're still leaps and bounds over HL1's quality. I guess I still don't see what you're referring to as unfinished...?
-Brandon Blume
Pages: [1] 2

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top