Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• September 17, 2019, 03:06:34 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unreal on 'Unreal'  (Read 18784 times)

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unreal on 'Unreal'
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »
Just finished playing the game on the "Unreal" difficulty, and let me tell you that I hardly ever play through games on the hardest difficulty but Unreal has been with me ever since its release so it has always had a special place in my heart... okay, that sounded gay enough.

And ze proof (played it using old-skool; no difference between the original and this (gameplay wise) except that the player can auto-taunt, gibs stay forever and leave blood marks, small stuff like that etc.).

I did actually play the original game (not old-skool) on the hardest about a year ago but never completed it. Came to the start of "Nali Castle" until I came to a stop.

Notes:
  • I never found the minigun (weapon 0), which you acquire at "The Sunspire" level, the bastards erased it from its usual location... ya, real funny Epic. :angry:
    I did, however, find only one of UT99's minigun which a Skaarj Trooper dropped after his death. Unfortunately it only contained max 50 bullets and I didn't find any more so it was quite useless. Meh.
  • The first Warlord encounter were probably the most difficult battle in the game. The arena is quite small with lethal lava surrounding most of the area. He's also a bitch at dodging all your friggin' rockets. :angry:
  • You encounter 3 Titans at the "Spire Village" level prior to "The Sunspire", you're better off just trying to ignore them.

Anyway, I had a good time and will probably consider playing RtNP on hard or something (played it only once in my lifetime).

Screenshots:

Thanks. :mellow:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:22:30 AM by eralp »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal on Unreal
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »
Have they just increased monster count/lowered item count or are the monsters harder to kill as well?

I too have played RtNP only once and have been thinking of playing it again, especially now that I have the Anthology with all Unreal games.

I have played several games on the hardest skill but mostly old ones such as Quake (piss easy on all other skill levels except s3) & Quake 2.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »
Have they just increased monster count/lowered item count or are the monsters harder to kill as well?

Apart from increased number of monsters and much less items/weapons the monsters are also harder to kill with an extreme increase in their attack damage. I can't confirm this but it does seem, at least to me, that they are also much more aggressive especially the Skaarj Warriors (more up-your-face melee battle, faster and emit more projectiles (which, by the way, looks to fly faster) at a fast rate) and all its different classes.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:27:53 PM »
I never found the minigun (weapon 0), which you acquire at "The Sunspire" level, the bastards erased it from its usual location... ya, real funny Epic. angry
I did, however, find only one of UT99's minigun which a Skaarj Trooper dropped after his death. Unfortunately it only contained max 50 bullets and I didn't find any more so it was quite useless. Meh.
Oldskool defaults to replacing Unreal's stock minigun with the UT version for some reason - you can turn this off in oldskool's menus somewhere.

Anyways I've beaten Unreal on Unreal once and it was a blast. I always take out the titans though since most of the time I was swimming in ammo (as long as you mix it up)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal on 'Unreal'
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
Anyways, I finished the game on unreal today (technically yesterday since it's 7.15AM and I haven't slept). I had also increased game speed by a third. The game didn't feel any more difficult than on any other skill level except for the first few levels (the mines specifically). After these levels I had adapted so well that I noticed no actual difference except for the amount of Titans in some of the maps. The same happened with F.E.A.R. actually: the first levels were difficult on hard but it got much easier after that.

Quote from: Loke
The first Warlord encounter were probably the most difficult battle in the game. The arena is quite small with lethal lava surrounding most of the area. He's also a bitch at dodging all your friggin' rockets.

The guy's always been tough, even on lower skill levels. I think the Warlord is harder to beat than the Queen. (The second Warlord is much easier though.)
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
Warlord isn't that difficult at all. When you get in the volcano arena-like thing you can just jump on platforms below the "bridge" that have huge rocks.. Just circle around them as you take shots at the Warlord - he didn't ever hit me.

Of course he does avoid your shots pretty well, but only when airborne, so when he is, just stick to instant hit weapons like the Shock Rifle or the Automag (Flak Cannon is possible as well but that might be pushing it a bit). Then when he's walking around he's far less agile, at this point you can put some real hurt on him. It'll take a while but you'll defeat him without too much trouble this way.

I used the same tactic in the (very lovely) generator arena.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 01:22:11 AM »
I had bullets only for 8-Ball, Flak and Razor so I was in a crappy position.

The generator area was pretty easy altogether since there were tons of power ups around you, including megahealth & shield belt. That and the fact the Skaarj can't do much from a distance.

William Gee

• MSN Messenger - geewillywizz@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:56:24 AM »
Im playing unreal again on unreal, Its been a long time since I have played it, years maybe, so everything is feeling fresh again.
But I played it lots of times in the past.

The huge cliffs are always so awesome.

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
I also were fairly low on Flak ammo and couldn't obtain the minigun from Sunspire (read my first post about that) so the Warlord battle were definitely much harder. I used up the sniper rifle ammo and shock rifle with the damage amplifier almost instantly then went over to the eightball and any other weapon that I had.

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:58:06 PM »
You should of course alternate your weapon usage when shooting big, strong baddies. Going all Eightball on them is usually not a good idea, I just start of using my Energy Dispenser or whatever it's called, then my Automag for a bit, Stinger, Shock Rifle,... see where this is going? I just go over the list of weapons I have and use some of their ammo on the enemy if possible (for example with the Warlord's somewhat erratic movement of course some weapons have to be eliminated from usage..). If he's not dead yet, I just start from the first weapon again.

Ultimately that means I still have plenty of ammo left for every weapon :)
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 02:02:48 AM »
The minigun sucks anyway. Quake 2 was released only a few months before so the minigum seemed downright pathetic compared to the one in Q2.

Loke

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 03:06:09 AM »
The minigun were great imo. Don't remember the Q2 one.

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 05:55:30 AM »
I found the minigun in Quake2 to be pretty useless because of the combination of being powerful, using up a lot of ammo and not stopping with firing until a second or two after I let go of the fire button.

I guess it comes in handy when dealing with bosses or something but then I'm using my rocket launcher, not my chaingun. :o

Last.fm

moggimus

• I just work here, lady.
    • MSN Messenger - tomatosamurai@yahoo.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomatosamurai
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »
Chaingun so good... make you wanna slap yo momma!

You don't know how to use it =P
"Ah, the jokes here are with galicians, jews and black people. Although everybody knows what i think about racism, the most funnies are the ones about black people." -Gambini

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
Unreal's minigun was far cooler looking and sounding than Quake 2's, but Q2's was much more useful in the long run.
I found the minigun in Quake2 to be pretty useless because of the combination of being powerful, using up a lot of ammo and not stopping with firing until a second or two after I let go of the fire button.
The key is to learn how much is enough to kill a certain enemy and let go of the fire button a few moments before it's dead.

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top