Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• September 19, 2019, 02:37:31 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Doom 4  (Read 19144 times)

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DOOM 4 FUCKERS
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
I just hope this one is more scary.

The 8-bit Doom games weren't scary at all, but they were great, so I'm not sure that being scary is all that important.

But if they are going for scary, I think the trick is that it needs to be more reality based.  Half-Life was scary in parts because it started in a normal, sane environment and then it went hellishly wrong.  From what I remember of the Doom 3 demo (never played the full game), the place they start you at is already gloomy and it feels like you are being set up for a slaughter all the time, so it loses its impact.  I don't see how a game can succeed at being scary if it tries to frighten you all the time.  After a while you just get used to it.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
but i guess you refused to factor in that doom four could in fact be a crappy game yes thats actually possible
iD don't make crappy games at all. Not to say that Doom 3 was a masterpeice, it had flaws but it was not crappy. Their games are always polished to near perfection.

In anycase I didn't find Doom 3 scary since I was a bad-ass spacemarine armed with enough ordinance to level half of the base, or at least whatever's trying to kill me. If they want to make Doom 4 scarier than Doom 3, than they need to make the player more vulnerible.

Weebl

• Get the f*** outta my kitchen!
    • MSN Messenger - cs_weebl@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
but i guess you refused to factor in that doom four could in fact be a crappy game yes thats actually possible
iD don't make crappy games at all. Not to say that Doom 3 was a masterpeice, it had flaws but it was not crappy. Their games are always polished to near perfection.

In anycase I didn't find Doom 3 scary since I was a bad-ass spacemarine armed with enough ordinance to level half of the base, or at least whatever's trying to kill me. If they want to make Doom 4 scarier than Doom 3, than they need to make the player more vulnerible.

They need to have monsters that arn't so easy to kill such as Imps. They need to make a monster that can walk through walls or something so that it's impossibly to see when they are coming, even by sound it should be impossibly to tell when they are coming so it's scarier than wondering where a sound is coming from.

Life, Dealth... There is no end

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »
The focus shouldn't be so much on making it scary as it should be on making it playable. Monsters coming through walls unexpectedly, killing you quickly? Say hello to frustration galore. The first couple of times it might be scary but after that it'd just become annoying.
"heh, a sidenote, Id not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wont work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Weebl

• Get the f*** outta my kitchen!
    • MSN Messenger - cs_weebl@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »
Of course the game should be playable. Games like C&C3 are impossible for me to play because everything is too detailed and too hard to see what it is let alone click on it. Doom 4 should be all about the game play, then comes graphics, then change a tonne around to make it scary.
I don't mean having things barge through the wall at super high speeds ripping your body to pieces then pissing on your body. I'm talking about when you first opened up the portal to hell in doom3 you had those waves going through the walls turning people to zombies. Possibly have something like that but more deadly.

Life, Dealth... There is no end

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce dsert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 09:39:46 PM »
I don't see how a game can succeed at being scary if it tries to frighten you all the time.  After a while you just get used to it.

This was not the case with Doom 3. Mostly it was scary just because of level design. At times you'd come to a room and think "I don't want to go there".
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »
Monsters coming through walls unexpectedly, killing you quickly? Say hello to frustration galore.

Never happened to me.

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »
I know, that's what potentially COULD happen if we follow Weebl's idea (well, in his original post that is, he explained it better after that)
"heh, a sidenote, Id not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wont work." - Gambini

Last.fm

HighWire

• Survival
  • The ConstruKction of Light
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2008, 03:16:09 AM »
I still can't believe that everyone thinks Doom 3 was a flawed game. Maybe I am not much of a elite gamer or something, but I loved it from the beginning until the end.  :huh:
"...I need to code in Rusty's balls as well." - James

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2008, 03:27:13 AM »
It's the "jump on the bandwagon" syndrome.

HighWire

• Survival
  • The ConstruKction of Light
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2008, 03:32:26 AM »

Nah, most people here are intelligent enough to make their own opinion (I hope), and I'm not going to judge it as metoo-ism.

But the bandwagon-theory definately applies to the "OMG, DOOM3 FLASHLIGHT LOLOLO SUXXXX" 13-yearolds.
"...I need to code in Rusty's balls as well." - James

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2008, 03:34:30 AM »

No not really but try again

Not too long ago I hadn't played Doom 3 in over 2 years, then I started replaying and I didn't even finish it. I got genuinely bored of the game.

Last.fm

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 05:07:59 AM »

It's called a fucking opinion, learn to respect it.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 05:57:49 AM »
uh oh! Don't get too touchy about it, alot of hate for Doom3 was bandwagon jumping. It was a good, solid game. I prefer HL2 by a large margin, but D3 was great in it's own way.

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 08:02:22 AM »
And I agree that it was a fun game, but only just above average if you ask me. Not everyone jumped the bandwagon with it, many just didn't like it because of its linear gameplay, cheap scares, poor SFX and repetitive length.

I'm not ecstatic about the news (pleased, yes) but I shouldn't be told to piss off because of that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top