Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• March 20, 2019, 04:40:57 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Map of the Week: Area 69  (Read 26613 times)

Fernando

• Mario Nukem Team
  • DNR Admin
    • MSN Messenger - cmarquez@live.cl
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Map of the Week: Area 69
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 01:18:45 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one coming from that territory. :mellow:
Fernando Márquez U.
DN-R Official Member Staff

E-Mail contacts available:

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • MSN Messenger - ferno2201@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 05:03:27 AM »
Hey there :)

Well, this is my first map in this site (and this is my first post as well). Hope to have a nice time here.

Have someone played the level? I'd like to get some feedback  ^_^

@DavoX: Do you remember me? From "Duke through the planets" project?

@Fernando: ¿Así que eres de Chile? :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:07:31 AM by Fernito »
Check out my Duke Nukem 3D speedruns!

Check out my metal band: Izkemia.

Fernando

• Mario Nukem Team
  • DNR Admin
    • MSN Messenger - cmarquez@live.cl
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »
@Fernando: ¿Así que eres de Chile? :)
Exactamente compadre, de Concepción para ser preciso. Y para que otros puedan entender...

I did play the map, quite complex but a really good one. I'll try to get this one up to the DNR, as well as Iggy's and others I should've posted time ago.
Fernando Márquez U.
DN-R Official Member Staff

E-Mail contacts available:

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »
Me acuerdo de tus speedruns, estaban muy buenas.

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »
a ver muchachos si le aflojamos un poco al castellano que este es un foro en ingles! ;)

ellos no saben lo que decimos!  :wacko:

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »
Exactamente compadre, de Concepción para ser preciso. Y para que otros puedan entender...

I did play the map, quite complex but a really good one. I'll try to get this one up to the DNR, as well as Iggy's and others I should've posted time ago.

I'm from Villa Alemana, 5ª región :) Nancsi knew me in ChileHardware forums. Do you post there?

Now, on-topic: it's cool that you liked the map. I'm working on a bigger map right now, hopefully it'll be done soon.

Me acuerdo de tus speedruns, estaban muy buenas.

jaja, sí! Actually, I'll put them in my signature right now  ^_^

a ver muchachos si le aflojamos un poco al castellano que este es un foro en ingles!

ellos no saben lo que decimos! 

Veo que hay hartos hispanohablantes por acá :)

OK, then I'll have to put into practice my poor English :p

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
I tried the map.  Good quality construction, nice exploratory feel.  But it is very easy to miss things.  I couldn't find the blue key for a long time because I didn't notice a certain part of the tunnel labyrinth.  Then when I got the yellow key, I couldn't remember where the yellow card reader was.  Speaking of the yellow key, in the area where you get it there are lots of commanders and they glitch their way into the nearby crawlspace, which is really annoying.  That fight was frustrating.  The buttons are not labeled and in most cases they don't have view screens next to them showing what happened when you pressed them.  I never did finish because I got tired of looking for the yellow card reader.  :/

I really enjoyed the map for a while, but it's one of those maps where I eventually got frustrated trying to find something I missed and all the monsters are long dead.  Also, I don't really see the point of including all those custom textures.  There was nothing in this map that really called for it, and it makes people not want to play it (it almost stopped me, because it meant I had to use vanilla Duke).
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 09:42:23 PM »
I never did finish because I got tired of looking for the yellow card reader.  :/

You know the quite big storage room with boxes & a set of stairs? There are two doors. Enter the right one. You come outside and there's a crack on the wall on yer right.

Also, I don't really see the point of including all those custom textures.  There was nothing in this map that really called for it, and it makes people not want to play it (it almost stopped me, because it meant I had to use vanilla Duke).

I don't really see any point in not including custom textures that fit. I don't think the level would have captured the same feel with non-custom textures. To a vast majority of players including custom textures is no hassle.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

moggimus

• I just work here, lady.
    • MSN Messenger - tomatosamurai@yahoo.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomatosamurai
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »
Also, I don't really see the point of including all those custom textures.  There was nothing in this map that really called for it, and it makes people not want to play it (it almost stopped me, because it meant I had to use vanilla Duke).

I don't really see any point in not including custom textures that fit. I don't think the level would have captured the same feel with non-custom textures. To a vast majority of players including custom textures is no hassle.

I don't see the need to use custom art for a single level, unless it's a special case(You could call me a hypocrite on that, since two of my maps include art, but those were made for a mod at the time). I just don't like dealing with a lot of files to play one map. Making it easier would be to wrap it in a GRP file and do it that way.
"Ah, the jokes here are with galicians, jews and black people. Although everybody knows what i think about racism, the most funnies are the ones about black people." -Gambini

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 10:54:05 PM »
To a vast majority of players including custom textures is no hassle.

It is a small hassle, and that is all it takes to keep a map from being played.  Look at the number of people who have posted about playing Hostel.map, released at about the same time, also by an unknown mapper, and compare that number to those in this thread.  In this thread we have just you and me -- you played it because you play everything for your review site, and the only reason I played it was because I felt guilty about causing the thread to derail earlier.  In the Hostel thread there are six different people who have played that map.

And it is a good map, I wasn't saying otherwise, I just had a hard time finding certain things because I have poor locational memory and I was playing it at 1:30 am after two glasses of wine.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 11:00:04 PM »
I just don't like dealing with a lot of files to play one map.

The only difference is that sometimes you may need to remove/rename/relocate already existing art files in your Duke3D folder. Other than that, it's just a matter of click & drag which you'd be doing anyway even without any custom art.

Quote from: DeeperThought
Look at the number of people who have posted about playing Hostel.map, released at about the same time, also by an unknown mapper, and compare that number to those in this thread.

The two maps are hardly a representative sample.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 12:13:33 AM »
@DeeperThought: I know that commander bug, I should've removed them from there. As for the switches, there is a 4 switches puzzle that you must hit in order to get the blue key. There's is a camera showing a pannel with the switches that are already hit, and all 4 switches locations (see the picture).

As for the textures, the only textures I really needed were the ice texture, and the icy water texture (without these, the map wouldn't have had the same feeling). The rest of the textures are there because, well... I don't know. I just zipped in there all my custom .art files. I know, my fault. The next time I post a level with custom art, I'll put it all in a .grp file :)

@Mikko: thanks for defending my map :) But, as I said earlier, I have to admit that some things DeeperThought criticized to it are true.

Nancsi

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 05:10:37 AM »
I personally changed the respawning commanders into lizmen (lizmanstayput... only because my sucky keyboard didn't allow me to use the key 0 cough), and removed a few octies I felt unneccessary, and the map flows a lot better.

I think the new arts are great fit here, I don't see any problem with it. Interestingly I found the crack when I played it for the first time, but for the second time, I got lost without a clue, then restarted, blew away the nearby octies, and open sesame.  -_-
Duke is framed for murder and must kill everyone to prove his innocence

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 06:12:50 AM »
I think the new arts are great fit here, I don't see any problem with it.

Yes, but that's not the problem.  The problem is he included lots of art that wasn't used.  He could have put everything he used in tiles014.

Fissile Materials

William Gee

• Super moderators
    • MSN Messenger - geewillywizz@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 06:49:45 AM »
Fantastic map, really enjoyed it. (y) There were only a few custom textures used though so theres a lot of stuff in the pack not needed.
Anyways thanks cool stuff.  -_-
Pages: 1 [2] 3

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top