Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• August 24, 2019, 01:53:47 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Release: Q3DM - Lifeline  (Read 3980 times)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Release: Q3DM - Lifeline
« on: July 20, 2008, 04:26:22 AM »
My second Quake 3 Arena level, Lifeline, is finally done. Download, play and comment!

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?69p3xntm9r3
http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.aspx?/hst/m/s/msandt/lifeline.zip

Gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQGb1JXV-JA

Screenshots (showing both versions of the map, non-winter & winter):

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:33:14 PM by eralp »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Release: Q3A - Lifeline
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:41:01 AM »
Looks great! but i havent Q3 to play it  :/

HighWire

• Survival
  • The ConstruKction of Light
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 07:38:46 AM »
I don't have Q3A, but the non-winter version looks sleek and sexy. :)
"...I need to code in Rusty's balls as well." - James

Cody

• Ling Ling Into Battle Go!
    • MSN Messenger - codynz3000@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
I don't have Q3A, but the non-winter version looks sleek and sexy. :)

I agree, The skybox does do its part.   :wub:

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »
I played the map and it's indeed good, but it has it's flaws. For example you can see the delineation of the skybox, big black lines showing the wireframe of it.

When you use the jump pad to get the mega health you do a face plant on an invisible barrier which doesn't look good.
A few models would't hurt also.

I'm not sure if Q3 allows different colors for light sources, but you seem to have used only white coloured lights which makes it look kinda flat, and the flat floor outside doesn't help much either.

But I did have fun, the rocket launcher zone seemed to be the most used. If all the places were more connected it would've been awesome (for example from the mega health to the rocket or the teleporter on the left).

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:27:53 AM »
Thanks for playing.

For example you can see the delineation of the skybox, big black lines showing the wireframe of it.

This is due to your Q3A/video card settings.

When you use the jump pad to get the mega health you do a face plant on an invisible barrier which doesn't look good.

Yeah, that's one of those last-minute things I wanted to fix but didn't want to go through the compiling process just for that.

A few models would't hurt also.

Such as? I think anything extra would have spoilt the map's economical look.

I'm not sure if Q3 allows different colors for light sources, but you seem to have used only white coloured lights which makes it look kinda flat, and the flat floor outside doesn't help much either.

I disagree. The white/grey hue fits perfectly even if it's kinda "flat". If I had put some blue, green or red there it'd have stood out. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 06:00:44 AM »
Yes, Maybe it wasn't exactly the same light that made me feel uncomfortable, maybe it was the sudden change between daylight to darkness inside of the building, for some reason my mind tells me that "outside is warmer and inside it's colder" just because of the lighting, thus making the inside of the building the less visited place for me. It's very psychological. But I'm still playing the map. Are the compiling times really that bad? For example?

Gambini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:17:43 AM »
compiling times sucks in id engines, right now im compiling a map and i dont know what to do, so im posting here  ^_^.

I dont know if is avaible in q3, i guess that yes, but exists a common entity ¨enviroment_light¨ or ¨light enviroment¨ that makes the sun light crossing every place from is visible the sky box, that really helps to make a balanced light in a map, but im sure that Mikko know that.

EDIT: just watched the screenshots again, obviusly the map has light enviroment, ignore me guys.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:19:53 AM by Gambini »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 06:21:34 AM »
Are the compiling times really that bad? For example?

Not really if you, for example, use "caulk" texture on nonvisible faces. The map takes about two minutes to compile but I'm sure that with more tweaking I'd been able to get it down to a minute. Before optimization it took a lot longer.

Of course you don't need to go through all that when you just want to test something.

Edit:

I dont know if is avaible in q3, i guess that yes, but exists a common entity ¨enviroment_light¨ or ¨light enviroment¨ that makes the sun light crossing every place from is visible the sky box, that really helps to make a balanced light in a map, but im sure that Mikko know that.

Skybox properties are in a txt file called a "shader" file. By modifying the txt you get to choose the location of the "sun" (obviously this means the lightsource, not a picture of sun) in the skybox, its brightness etc.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:24:30 AM by MSandt »

Gambini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 06:54:02 AM »
Two minutes? good rate, im making the my new map´s first room, with just two light sources and about 30 solids and it takes about 25 sec, so if im planning to make a level at least 20 times bigger, i will have to wait about 10 minutes to have it compiled. doesnt seems too much, but when you are testing and testing and you want to see the whole level in every test, it seems to be an eternity. I also do always all the optimizations to make the level less cpu consuming as is possible.

EDIT: just for killing the curiosity i compiled a complete original HL2 level and it took 17 minutes with the full quality in my rig.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:01:01 AM by Gambini »

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top