Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• June 20, 2019, 12:10:01 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map/TC of the Week: Last Reaction and Water Bases  (Read 9436 times)

Nancsi

• hi
    • View Profile
Map/TC of the Week: Last Reaction and Water Bases
« on: September 05, 2008, 06:43:21 PM »
Let's discuss my favourite TC ever. The first episode (Last Reaction) is kinda average, until around level 7. Levels are dark and some of them are too difficult because of the lack of ammo and there are some bad mazes as well. Honestly I don't recommend to play the first one, because it can give massive headache.

After the submarine blasting level however the level design and gameplay start being as one of the best ever made for Duke 3d. The second episode (Water Bases) should have been good enough IMHO for even a commercial 5th episode for the game. The levels look great and have their style, and the author knew very well how to add new and integrate it to the old. Levels might look repititve with their "Lunar Apocalypse" nature, but eyecandy and balanced action compensates. It has a new boss and it's both challenging and satisfying. Ammo might be a problem here and there though.

Download link: http://files.filefront.com/lrwbzip/;11157227;/fileinfo.htm

Pic:

Duke is framed for murder and must kill everyone to prove his innocence

PencilPusher93

• "Kiss my shiny metal ass."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Map/TC of the Week: Last Reaction and Water Bases
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »
Great choice. I thought all of da episodes were cool, and the aqua Duke symbol at the start is cool.  (y) :ph34r:

Nancsi

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:05 PM »
Great choice. I thought all of da episodes were cool, and the aqua Duke symbol at the start is cool.  (y) :ph34r:

Yeah. Indeed, it was very well made. Actually I think the official name of this might be "Aquatic TC".

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 04:16:37 AM »
Water Bases is much better than Lunar Apocalypse. Lunar Apocalypse is full of pretty generic space maps whileas Water Bases has more variety, especially the last four or so maps.

And even though the first episode is not quite as good the best maps alone are worth going through the whole episode.

Quite simply, I have never seen so much quality in a pack.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »
Simply one of the best - to go through the pack in one go now is too much of a slog but I still love the atmosphere in Water Base, and the huge variety of themes in Last Reaction as well.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • MSN Messenger - ferno2201@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »
Very professional quality TC. I didn't play the first episode, but Water bases, and it was like
Check out my Duke Nukem 3D speedruns!

Check out my metal band: Izkemia.

Nancsi

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 02:41:40 PM »
Very professional quality TC. I didn't play the first episode, but Water bases, and it was like

I recommend you to play the first one as well. The last couple of levels are on par with the second episode, but even the first ones are better than most 1997-era episodes. The levels are just too long and mazey at times, and sometimes you run out of ammo (especially in the first level). The author has a bad habit to put important resources behind secrets. This went through the second episode as well... GWB even played with our frustration in the second level, when he put a massive number of RPGs and Devs in forcefielded rooms, but when you access the key, the rooms were ruined by an explosion. Pretty clever idea, IMO. :)

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top