Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• March 19, 2019, 11:25:03 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sewerside  (Read 16301 times)

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
Sewerside
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »
Sewerside, circa December 31, 2007, by Iggy

The aliens have taken over the sewers under the city. Duke must investigate and eliminate any enemies encountered while making good his escape.

A large map with a simple layout and good design. The entire play takes place in sewers and small to medium underground rooms until the surface and freedom are reached. Dukeplus 1.5 or higher are required to play and this map takes advantage of many of its features; such as stronger enemy, weather, ladders, akimbo pistols, and more. This map has exceptional attention to detail and some good architectural structures. A nice job was done on shading and texturing as well. All this and the added green fog set a great atmosphere.

The game is fairly difficult. While movement is linear and there's no real puzzles to solve, the enhanced enemies in addition to a limited arsenal and scarce health and ammunition make this map a tactical challenge. There are a few instances when Duke is being confronted from multiple directions by some pretty tough aliens. Although there is cover, movement is slightly limited and gaining the advantage isn't that easy. Every bullet and every health point can be precious until the next stash is found.

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 10/10
Sprite Work/Detailing-Architecture: 9/10
Ambiance: 20/20
Layout: 17/20
Gameplay/Difficulty: 37/40
Overall: 93/100

http://www.duke4ever.eu/index.php?view=mymaps_index&status=0&maptype=0&game=1
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:55:23 AM by Forge »

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sewerside
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
That's cool that you discovered this and liked it.  Iggy was the one who insisted on me adding akimbo pistols to DP, so we have him to thank for that.  The map was mostly ignored when it was released, and then forgotten about.  In fact, I feel guilty about this:  it should be included in DP and linked to the hub level  :/ (I'll see to that in the next DP update).  The map has very good atmosphere but personally I find it to be a little frustrating.  The worst part for me is the toxic waste area -- if there are boots in the map, I don't know where they are, and getting through that part without boots is a nightmare.

EDIT:  The version of DP that the map comes with is quite old, so if anyone feels like playing it based on this thread, I you may want to wait until I release the next DP which will include the map as a proper DP level.  I'm working on that right now.

There's a problem, though.  Sewerside has a couple of textures and some spritenoshade code.  As far as I can tell, the textures aren't necessary.  The spritenoshades do make the map look better, but there should be a way to do it without adding that code to all of DP  It would require coding something and then tagging sprites in the map to make them ignore sector shade.

Memo to Gambini:  I released a DP that had your updated maps a week ago, but you probably didn't notice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:22:21 PM by DeeperThought »
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:27 PM »
It's an alright map and no offense to Iggy but in my opinion your score seems a bit too high. [arguments not included]
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:51:01 AM »
I don't get too butthurt when someone disagrees with how I rate a map. I'm interested in what you didn't like about the map or where you feel I scored it too high. Helps me keep things in perspective.

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:04:47 AM »
Well, the lighting and texturing was good but it definitely wasn't perfect so I don't see why you gave that a 10/10. Also I recall the gameplay being somewhat frustrating or even "sloppy" (can't really give you a better word) in some parts which would detract from the ambiance somewhat, especially because the green fog was basically just a gimmick. In my opinion, ambiance should be set by a proper usage of sounds, shades and visuals.. not by putting some room full of green fog.

Personally I would rate the map as follows:

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 8/10
Sprite Work/Detailing-Architecture: 8/10
Ambiance: 16/20
Gameplay/Difficulty: 31/40
Overall: 80/100

Since using percentages based on gut-feeling is a little complicated, I would instead use the "star system" and rate this 3.5 out of 5 stars.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:12:36 AM »
At least we agree on the layout.

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 05:36:32 AM »
Memo to Gambini:  I released a DP that had your updated maps a week ago, but you probably didn't notice.

yeah, you told me in the blown fuses thread  (y)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 05:42:38 AM »
Also I recall the gameplay being somewhat frustrating or even "sloppy"

Did you play the new version? The old version had serious issues with gameplay but the new version was clearly better, although no ground-breaker.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:11:32 AM »
Wow. Now I am butthurt. This subject has been read over 90 times. Assuming the same five people who posted have looked at it at least seven times that means somewhere around 50 people have looked at it and no one has shit to say. Is it the crappy maps I'm choosing or that I'm wasting my time because everyone is just entirely too busy to respond?*

Out of the four people who had anything to say:
thought the map looked:
1=excellent
1=very good
1=alright
1=no comment

thought the game play was:
1=difficult but excellent
1=frustrating
1=frustrating and sloppy
1=good but not great

Adjusted rating:
Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 9/10
Sprite Work/Detailing-Architecture: 8/10
Ambiance: 18/20
Gameplay/Difficulty: 33/40
Overall: 85/100

I don't care for the five star rating system. It's too vague. A great looking map with average play will rate the same as an average looking map with excellent play. The 100 point system I use, while not perfectly accurate because of the involvement of gut-feelings and complexity, is easier to use to tell where the map's good and bad points are.

*Ignore the author of this post, he just had some more back surgery and is hopped up on morphine.

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:28:14 AM »
*Ignore the author of this post, he just had some more back surgery and is hopped up on morphine.

Hope you feel better soon.

By my count, you got two pretty substantive responses in this thread.  That's pretty good for a map review!  Sometimes actual maps get released without more response than that.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:36:21 AM »
I'm just being a depressed little bitch and the drugs aren't helping.
I've been playing Duke for over 10 years, and out of ignorance of its existence, I didn't join the community until its twilight hours and it brings me down.

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:56:55 AM »
Don't worry, I'm sure soon you'll be reviewing maps made for Duke Nukem Forever made by the same guys that are here and much, much more.

Iggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »
Good review Forge, might if I add it as a review on D4E?

The worst part for me is the toxic waste area -- if there are boots in the map, I don't know where they are, and getting through that part without boots is a nightmare.
I think there are, just not easy to find.

Edit;
Yes there are, but you need the googles to see them.

There's a problem, though.  Sewerside has a couple of textures and some spritenoshade code.  As far as I can tell, the textures aren't necessary.  The spritenoshades do make the map look better, but there should be a way to do it without adding that code to all of DP  It would require coding something and then tagging sprites in the map to make them ignore sector shade.
The extra textures are duplicates of existing ones, it was for making those vent shaft tiles invulnerable to gunfire.

Did you play the new version? The old version had serious issues with gameplay but the new version was clearly better, although no ground-breaker.
Yes, sd_duke wasn't a smart choice.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:31:57 PM by Iggy »
Duke4Ever || The Game Collector's Market - Forum for game collectors.
"That Nordbergian wench could be a handful! Several." - Gnarl (Overlord 2)

Crux Borealis

• MSN Messenger - jpitkis@netti.fi
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:45:15 PM »
Wow. Now I am butthurt. This subject has been read over 90 times. Assuming the same five people who posted have looked at it at least seven times that means somewhere around 50 people have looked at it and no one has shit to say. Is it the crappy maps I'm choosing or that I'm wasting my time because everyone is just entirely too busy to respond?*
The version of DP that the map comes with is quite old, so if anyone feels like playing it based on this thread, I you may want to wait until I release the next DP which will include the map as a proper DP level.  I'm working on that right now.
I bet you will drown in replies after the next DP release :P

Seriously though, I like your reviews. I'm just not the kind of guy who easily finds something important to say -_-

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »
Seriously though, I like your reviews. I'm just not the kind of guy who easily finds something important to say -_-
I appreciate that.
Good review Forge, might if I add it as a review on D4E?
Thank you. You can use any part of it you want and edit it any way you see fit.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:14:52 PM by Forge »

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top