Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red5  (Read 16678 times)

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
Red5
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:59:19 AM »
Red5: Lonely mountain Complex, circa February 14, 2005, by Merlijn v. Oostrum

Oft overlooked because of previous high quality Red maps, Red 5 is solid, well designed, and a great play. A mix of indoor hi-tech and outdoor areas, with nice attention to detail and architecture. Excellent shading, texturing, special effects and ambient sounds add to the atmosphere and heighten the senses. There's plenty of puzzles, traps, and navigational challenges mixed in with the intermittent combat scenarios at strategic junctures. Ammunition and health can be a bit short, but there's just enough in stashes placed about the map to give you a fighting chance.

Definitely a classic worth another play.

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 10/10
Sprite Work/Detailing:9/10
Ambiance: 10/10
Architecture/Design: 20/20
Layout: 20/20
Gameplay/Difficulty: 29/30
Overall: 98/100

http://msdn.planetduke.gamespy.com/hotred5.shtml

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Red5
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:07:57 AM »
Often overlooked

Huh?

Anyway yeah great map. It's so great there's nothing more I can say about it.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »
Yeah, Red5 is on the MSDN Best Maps list´s top, still this topic is a good pretext to play it again  -_-

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
Maybe overlooked was too strong, but most of the time when someone discusses the Red series, 3 and 4 seem to be the most talked about.

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:41:23 AM »
Well of course, Red 3 did the scary theme the best and Red 4's layout and design was superb, but the thing it has that Red 5 does not is the great concept: being aboard a huge, moving boat.

Red 5's design is cockrocking as well but the location is "just" a hi-tech facility which is not as memorable.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

mrline

• Moderators
  • Mommy, there's a dinosaur in our backyard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:12:41 AM »
Hey, cool to see a topic about one of my maps, thanks! :)

When it comes to the red-series, red5 is my personal favorite. Red4 might have an unique theme, but most of the gameplay isn't that special IMO - it's pretty straight forward action and some locations are quite cramped.
Red5 isn't just action, it has much more story, better scripted sequences and more adventure. And I really like the bizarre stuff I've added to the hi-tech locations (the weird flesh stuff and the 'visions', very much inspired by Doom3 of course).
So yeah IMO it owns red4. :P
Quakis: DP3 never took place in a city? ( can't rembeer actually )

Maarten: OMGWTFSTUCKINVENTILATIONSHAFT!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=374342&T=9052

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 03:36:05 AM »
Red5 isn't just action, it has much more story, better scripted sequences and more adventure. And I really like the bizarre stuff I've added to the hi-tech locations (the weird flesh stuff and the 'visions', very much inspired by Doom3 of course).

That's all very true. But the fact that Red 4 takes place on a well-designed huge moving boat will always make it (at least for me) more memorable than Red 5. The only thing about Red 5 that I can really instantly remember right now is those helicopters with a dialog from you and Maarten (I think?) and a bridge made of transparent sprites that led to some other place.

Last.fm

mrline

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:06 AM »
Well at least you remember the helicopters.  ^_^

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 04:17:14 AM »
Played the map yesterday and what I have said before stands. The pacing and atmosphere make this map great. The start is surprisingly challenging and action-intensive. I like how you approach the base via an underwater segment, after which you reach a base that seems abandoned. (The way the base looks from outside, looking at it from behind that fence, is very moody, like it's all dark and just seems to go on.) However, all that organic shit and the sound world tell you that it's not quite abandoned. After a few well placed close-quarter encounters action seems to escalate right before and after the bridge. The choppers and the missile strike near the end really crown the map.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
Just played the map, and noticed i didnt play it before (once just played the beginning and had no time to keep playing).

Somehow, i have no words. There are not too many times i have this feeling after playing a duke map...

However, i have to be honest and admit the thing that moved me to play it today is that the level is branded as the ¨best of ever¨ in Mikko´s site, that and all the good compliments it´s receiving in this thread. Because juding by the begining, it doesnt look THAT interesting IMO.

The action starts in a big area where finding the exit is not the easier task you could think of, nothing impossible of course but long areas to walk are not always funny. Then, the area with the battlelord, before you go underwater, *has a flaw, the underwater access to the abandoned complex is long , very long althought there is where i started to feel the map, because it put me scared already. The part where you have to climb until the elevator could turn annoying if you -after reaching height- notice the need of a RPG that forgot to pick* (that´s the flaw before mentioned).

I see here a turning point, when the previous lines say that i could end giving up due to the difficulties was finding, i´m glad to say that i reached this point, because everything after it is simply incredible. The mood sensed playing this second half of the map were one of the most awesome i had playing Duke. I was breathing the place, the scary situation, the solitude. Reminded me a lot to some Doom 3 missions where the evil man is controlling some entities, the fights inside this terrifying place fitted like a gloove the atmosphere, and i heard some sounds that didn´t know they were in the Oirginal Duke content. Everything else i could say would be just praises. The scripted secuence where one gets trapped in that sort of nightmare is just comparable with its red3 counterpart, the choppers touch dropped the last hope about a rescue, and the missile controller and radar also were at the same height.

I think this map is really worthy of the award, and probably if i do another duke map, someday, my goal will be creating such an atmosphere.

Found a couple of visual errors though.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:40:19 AM by Gambini »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:05:01 AM »
The part where you have to climb until the elevator could turn annoying if you -after reaching height- notice the need of a RPG that forgot to pick* (that´s the flaw before mentioned).

You mean the crack on a wall? I had pipebombs at that point.

The not-picking-up-the-RPG thing kinda reminds me of a map of yours...
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

mrline

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 02:55:51 AM »
Gambini wasn't the only one having trouble with finding the rpg, I remember that Quakis had the same problem (reaching the crack in the elevator shaft and having to go back). IMO it's pretty easy to find, it basically lies in the middle of the road next to the house. It's not in plain sight, but that just would have made things too easy and predictable ('hey look it's a RPG, I guess a battlelord will show up now" *BOOM!! ROOOAARRR!* 'Yep, there he is').

Anyway. Gambini, thanks for your honest review, and luckily you kept playing long enough to get to the good parts. It's cool to know what the newest, dukeplus-era mappers think of my older maps. :D
I know the beginning isn't that special yet, but it's the introduction of the map (and is mostly there to give you a feeling of how abandoned and desolate the whole place is).
I also replayed it myself. The creepy underground parts are my personal favorite, I'm really satisfied with how those sections turned out (especially the supplies room and all the creepy stuff surrounding it). So I'm glad that you liked them as well.  ^_^

Nancsi

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
Well of course, Red 3 did the scary theme the best and Red 4's layout and design was superb, but the thing it has that Red 5 does not is the great concept: being aboard a huge, moving boat.

Red 5's design is cockrocking as well but the location is "just" a hi-tech facility which is not as memorable.

Pretty much agree.

Red3 > Red4 > Red5
Duke is framed for murder and must kill everyone to prove his innocence

ck3D

• feel the power of rock and roll
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:53:13 AM »
My personal order would be Red4 > Red5 > Red 3, maybe because Red4 was one of the first 'good' Duke maps I played years ago when I first got my Internet connection and I was blown away by the atmosphere, the unique theme, the style, the scripted sequences, the detailing, the work put into it... It's one of those maps who left a mark, and quite possibly still one of my very favorites, ever. I loved Red5 too, but retained my personal weakness for the boat theme in Red 4. Red3 was great as well, and pioneering - no doubt, but both its sequels one-upped it, in my opinion.
Quote from: James
Yeah I think it's a bad cliche that modding is something you only do when you're young; it's not like the second you discover vaginas (or penis!) you automatically realise you were throwing your life away on the PC (some people ARE like that, but they're tools so w/e)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
I played Red 3 a few days ago and it was still very impressive. Some design elements such as lighting and spritework seemed a bit sloppy at times (see the first sprite chair, for example) but especially after the "power-up" scene the level really gets going.

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top