Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• September 19, 2019, 02:36:26 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: E3 2009  (Read 16984 times)

moggimus

• I just work here, lady.
    • MSN Messenger - tomatosamurai@yahoo.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomatosamurai
    • View Profile
    • Email
E3 2009
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »
I've been watching the E3 coverage on G4. It's pretty awesome because they're airing all of the press conferences completely uninterrupted. Microsoft's conference kicked it off today and definitely set the bar. They showed off a lot of great games and made a lot of big announcements. First off was Rock Band: The Beatles which was pretty cool, they even had Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Yoko Ono show up onstage for a bit.

Next up was Tony Hawk: Ride with a crazy new skateboard controller, which looks pretty cool and I think everybody though that was going to be biggest technology announcement... but that isn't the case. Infinity Ward showed off CoD: Modern Warfare 2 which looked FREAKIN AWESOME. It started off with an ice-climbing sequence up the side of a mountain. Cut to some action, there was a cool new weapon with a radar attachment, and no traditional HUD that I could discern at all. Then a snowmobile sequence which was, again, freakin awesome, as you're flying through the snow on your snowmobile you can whip out your piece and start gatting guys gangsta style!

There was a bunch of cool other stuff, some big announcements like FFXIII and the MSG series (as well as the new game in development, MGS: Rising, which is all about Raiden apparently). Also a Bungie guy came out and showed off Halo: ODST which looks pretty cool, and announced Halo: Reach (no info on it though).

The best was saved for last though. Project Natal. Nintendo, eat your heart out. The Wii is now an outdated piece of junk. This thing is a FULL BODY and OBJECT scanner, with FACIAL RECOGNITION and full voice control. So a dude comes out and walks up to the thing, it automatically recognizes him and signs him in to the console. It pulls up his avatar and he starts moving his body all around, which his avatar mirrors (it was kinda buggy though so it was acting a bit weird, but this was the ONLY thing that appeared buggy). So they talk all about it, and show off a really cool demo with this girl playing a game where balls are shot at you and you hit them and kick them to destroy bricks. They also showed a cool painting program all done with voice activation and body movements.

I should stress that this thing tracks your FULL BODY MOTION, it's not just using waggle moves like the Wii. I'm definitely not doing it justice, so I highly recommend you go find some media about it and check it out (www.g4tv.com). Steven Spielberg came out and gave a very well done endorsement on it. Peter Molyneux (Lionhead Studios) came out and showed a crazy interactive demo called Milo, which you should look at too because it shows off all of the functionality and it's just amazing what this thing can do.

Like I said, I've not come close to doing it justice so please go check it out. The EA press conference just started so I'll post more later.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:10:12 PM by eralp »
"Ah, the jokes here are with galicians, jews and black people. Although everybody knows what i think about racism, the most funnies are the ones about black people." -Gambini

moggimus

• View Profile
    • Email
EA Press Conference
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:11:24 AM »
EA started off with a Dante's Inferno trailer (very cool) and now for their first demo.... Littlest Pet Shop. wtf. Oh and they showed The Sims 3 before that... I think I actually want to play it.

edit: Ugh god, they're showing all these girl games... I need to go vomit now.

edit2: Ok, Need for Speed, here we go. LOOKS good.

edit3: Hmm ok, it gives you profile "perks" based on how you drive. Kinda cool... here's some gameplay now. OH FUCK the dude just did a header through the windshield. rofl. Game looked pretty sweet though.

Ok, that was NFS: Shift. Here's Dragon Age: Origins now... really looking forward to this one.

edit4: Aww just a trailer... was good though. Mass Effect 2 now. (lol the trailer had Manson's "This is the New Shit" and since it's live the song played unedited, heh.

edit5: I've already seen this trailer... you know it's gonna be good though.

Looks like that's it for Bioware... wtf... I don't know who to blame, them or EA (probably EA) for being so short and lame. Looks like they want to move things right along... EA Sports is up now.

edit6: What the fuck, of course EA Sports gets to do a 10 minute long spot on Fight Night 4... like I care... looks stiff as hell anyway. New franchise: EA: MMA. Who? Looks like a UFC ripoff. The only game I'm gonna give a shit about is Madden 2010. Oh, here's FIFA....zzzzzzzzzzz. Now Tiger WoodzzzZZZZzzzzZZZzzZzz.... guess I'll go take a nap now.

Oh, ok, NCAA Football 10. I'm not a college guy though.

Yay! Madden 10. Online Franchise, what? I don't care, just show the game... that was it? What the fuck. Now here's their Wii Fit ripoff... joy.

edit: Oh great now they're gonna do a 20 minute demo of this. God dammit. Worst press conference ever.

edit: Alright they showed a Tennis game that might actually be fun. Ok, good, EA Sports is done finally. Now Sabotage The Saboteur.

Looks like Assassin's Creed in WWII, except you get to shoot and blow shit up.

Tim Shafer up with Brutal Legend. I'm a D fan and looking forward to this one.

Heh, I like this guy.

Ooo Ozzy's in it!

Man this game looks great. It just looks hella fun and has a lot of good character and humor.

Oh shit, Crytek... here we go. Crysis 2.

...and the dude said basically nothing. Awesome.

Now some dude with a game called APB? Ok, GTA ripoff? Whatever, don't care.

There's a lot of customization but the gameplay doesn't look inspiring.

STAR WARS THEME AWWWW SHIT YEAH. (it's actually the theme from the end of A New Hope when Luke & Han are getting medals.)

Oh shit a bunch of people dressed as jedi with lightsabers came out on stage. Looks like The Old Republic is up. This is Bioware's MMO baby if you don't know. It's gonna be sweet... I don't think any of you guys are MMO players though.

Oh man a fuckin pimp trailer. Oh fuck. Ok this is a better fight scene then in most of the new movies.

The SITH WON MOTHERFUCKER YEAH HAHAHAHAHA! FUUUUUUUCKKKKKIIINNNNGGGG SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Go see the Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer. It fucking rocked.

EA conference is done. Well it half sucked but it had some really good gems.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:22:25 AM by moggimus »
"Ah, the jokes here are with galicians, jews and black people. Although everybody knows what i think about racism, the most funnies are the ones about black people." -Gambini

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: E3 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:46:58 AM »
Hey this is handy! Now I don't need to check anything out ;)
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

DavoX

• Paradise worlds mod
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 05:57:24 AM »
Yes! Keep them coming moggimus, thanks.

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:33 AM »
Now some dude with a game called APB? Ok, GTA ripoff? Whatever, don't care.

There's a lot of customization but the gameplay doesn't look inspiring.
It's from the same guy who made GTA (IV), so uh, yeah.
An open world MMO basically, I'm thinking creating your own gang/clan, recruit new (real live players) members, tons of focus on customization. Prolly only for PC however.

Go to Gamespot and watch their live stream instead, they blog it live as well so you can check that out too. I think you need to be a member though. I'm pretty excited about the sidescrolling action adventure from Epic games, as well as the new gameplay video of Alan Wake looks very intriguing.

There's already a bunch of these videos up at Gametrailers.
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

moggimus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:30 AM »
Yes! Keep them coming moggimus, thanks.

Will do!

A few things I forgot to mention: Splinter Cell: Conviction looks awesome and it's way more dark than the previous games. Also a game called Alan Wake looks pretty cool, it's an action/survival horror/mystery game using a light mechanic. You have a weapon and a flashlight, you shine the flashlight on enemies and it "burns" them, and you shoot em. There seems to be a whole narrative that happens in real time, and just within the 5 minute demo they played a lot of crazy shit happened so it looks pretty cool.

Ubisoft is coming up in about 40 minutes and I think that's it for today, Sony and Nintendo coming up tomorrow.

edit: God they keep talking about and airing shit about this guy who wants to break the Donkey Kong world record tomorrow... who gives fuck? Apparently he's soooo famous and shit. Steve Wiebe. I'm sure somebody will call me an ignorant prick but again, who gives a fuck about the Donkey Kong world record?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:25:52 AM by moggimus »

Rusty Nails

• ICQ Messenger - 156850845
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:08 AM »
The APB trailer they showed. Too bad they didn't show any of the customizing features, they look the most interesting of them all.

Says it'll be out for 360 and PC. (y) I'm guessing they left PS3 out so they can focus on multi-format online gaming. Too bad for PS3 owners actually.
Quote from: Geoffrey intoxicated
fuuuuck going down the stairs was like a
good duke nukem level
gameplay 9/10

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianfritzon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rusty_Nails/

moggimus

• View Profile
    • Email
Ubisoft Press Conference
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »
Here we go, Ubisoft. They're showing an intro movie doing an overview of a bunch of games.... ooh! I saw a TMNT game in there!

Joel McHale: Good evening fellow nerds!

This guy's funny.

I have no idea what the hell this Ubisoft CEO guy is saying. Hideo Kojima's engrish was proper speech compared to this guy. He's rattling on and on. Something about points. I dunno, achievements or something? Ugh, just shut up already. You can tell the guy didn't write this or even review it. He's practically glued to the telepromper... and I've heard more fluid reads in a third grade remedial reading class.

He's talking about "Oh we innovated with this, that, blah blah blah." Jesus. Shut up already. Oh, their voice control system is going to remove the barrier into gaming for mainstream audiences. Wonderful.

Oh thank god he finally left.

More talk. Blah blah blah blah blah. He's talking about movies. Nobody gives a fuck about movies at E3. They haven't shown a bit of game footage yet. Yeah, we don't give a fuck about your technology you use to make movies. Assassin's Creed movies? He's talking about using a game engine to make shots for movies (AC2 engine). This is all just business strategy crap. We DON'T CARE. Show a fucking game already.

Ok, now this guy is done. Oh great, the kindergarden reader is back. Sigh.

James Cameron. Ok he's doing a game called Avatar. They were talking about that before but I couldn't fucking understand those guys. Avatar takes place in the 22nd Century in a place called Adora. Alpha Centari A star system.

Earth-like. Except the 1,000ft tall trees. Weird animals. The Nabie, some kind of prehistoric tribe. Humans can't breathe on Pandora. Yeah, just like Earth. The hell? Somebody makes a Nabie/human hybrid and they're controlled by people.

You're some injured soldier controlling one of these robot human thingies. Oh, an AVATAR... ha ha ha ha. Choose sides in a battle. Helicopters and tanks versus bows and arrows and flying things. December 18th. Ok I guess it's a movie too. I don't know.

He's still talking. He's giving a lot of details but I'm just not that interested. This is turning out to be a pretty boring ass conference. They still haven't even shown any video.

Alright he's done finally. Good, the funny guy again. Ok, Red Steel 2. It'll use the Wii Motion plus and actually track your movement. Here's the trailer now. Sweet, looks like it'll be what you wanted the first one to be. Looks pretty good.

It'll be in a desert setting. You'll use a gun and sword at the same time. Here's some footage. The player's being dragged thru the desert by a biker... cool. Now on some concrete. Oh got a gun and shot the bitch! Bike goes down. This is some badass western shit. Ok now some real in game shit.

Slashing at some training dummies, looks sweet. Now some real combat. Looks fun... ooo stabbed a dude on the ground! You move between the gun and sword freely at will. Cool special moves... looks like fun. Oh shit, a boss. With a big ass maul. Wish I was at E3 to try out the floor demo.

Shawn White Snowboarding. Don't care. Gonna go take a piss.

Just came back... some soccer crap now. Some guy who needs no introduction, Pay Lay. Who the fuck is Pay Lay. Haha they fucked up and can't get the video to play. This guy is talking in canadian or something. Oh great we're getting this dude's life story. FFS. Shut up you stupid canadian.

This guy is still going on. Jesus. Oh he's done finally. Now the video. It's some stupid ass cartoony game. And it's soccer. Jesus. Oh the funny is faking it so good "That looks good! Wow!" Oh great now the canadian is talking again. Ugh. Gonna take a nap.

Ok good, Splinter Cell: Conviction now. Finally. Same trailer from the Microsoft conference. Conviction is all about Sam Fisher. He's on a personal mission this time. Don't fuck with him. He's trying to find the guy who killed his daughter.

Here;s the game demo. Same demo from the Microsoft conference. There's a new marking system. You mark things, then "Execute" and Sam takes them out. This includes enemies as well as lights and other things. Hehe, shoot out a chandelier and drop it on some dudes.

EMP grenades. The background story and objectives appear right in the game, like on the walls and such. You're not taken out of the gameplay to look at objectives or any of that junk. Looks pretty fucking awesome. You're definitely in a lot of firefights in this game but you use stealth within a firefight to bait and hook.

Splinter Cell: Conviction, this fall on XBox and PC.

Now some strategy game called Ruse. I hate these dumb trailers where they use actors and make them try to look serious and cool. They we're playing on some kind of table screen though... odd. Using screen touch and movements. They said nothing about it though... so, what the hell is it?

Casual game crap now. Not even gonna bother. Oh your TWEEN brands oh fuck christ. Shut up before I vomit. I had to mute the goddamn TV.

Good they're done 15 minutes later. Mute off.

Raving Rabbids? Sigh. It's probably a funny game but over an hour and a half in, I just don't give a shit. I'm ready to see Assassin's Creed 2 and be done with this fucker.

Well the trailer looks funny. Live demo. Rabit inside of a Wii Remote. Pretty funny. Yeah the gameplay looks funny. This is a wacky ass game. They tore an engine off a jet and are flying around on it.

TMNT: Smash Up. Made by the Smash Bros. Brawl team. Characters in the trailer looks just like the movie... this trailer actually shows in game stuff. It has Shredder. Not much but looks cool. ROFL this french dude says "COWABOONGA!". Yeah. Boonga.

No More Heroes 2. Just a mention I guess.

Assassin's Creed 2 finally. This time it's during the Renaissance, in Italy in the late 1400s. Wow cool trailer man. From some angles it looks like live action. The animation is hella good. It's not in game though, just a render. Yeah damn this is some good ass rendering. Very cool, check it out.

Aaaaaaaaaand that's all folks!

edit: God damn that was a 2 hour long boring ass press conference that only maybe 30% of contained stuff that anyone cared about. Worst press conference so far.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:58:25 AM by moggimus »

moggimus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 03:56:41 AM »
I'm not even going to try going into great detail on what went on today. Nintendo and Sony both came out swinging today and I was really blown away by what they both had to offer.

Nintendo started off by announcing three new Mario games. The first, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, allows 4 players at once to play in a traditional side-scrolling Mario game, and includes some new powerups like a propeller suit that allow you to fly up and do downward spin attacks.

Next was a new Mario & Luigi RPG game, looked pretty fun. I don't remember the name or whether it was for Wii or DS. Finally was the big one, Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii, which looked sweet. I haven't even played the first one so I need to pick that up.

They had a lot of other cool stuff to show, including the new Wii Sports Resort which makes use of the new Wii Motion Plus which provides 1:1 motion tracking. Expect to see new games like Red Steel 2 that use the 1:1 tracking for some awesome swordplay gameplay. With this new functionality I'm really lookforward to seeing a new Star Wars game..... LIGHTSABERS!

There's some cool things with the new DSi, include DSiware which has downloadable games and such. There's also going to be a new Zelda on DS.

The most awesome announcement was for last though (for Wii), a new Metroid game called Metroid: Other M and get this, TEAM NINJA is the developer and it promises to be a much more mature and deep game than in the past. The trailer they showed looked fucking awesome and I can't wait for this one as I'm a huge Metroid fan.

There was probably some other cool stuff that I forgot.

Sony came out and showed the new PSP Go, which is cool if you want something smaller and lighter that's more like a phone than a handheld. The controls are on the bottom half and slide out like keyboards on cell phones do. They also stressed making games free of physical media, as the Go does not use UMD's or any kind of physical media except slots for memory sticks so you can add more storage space. The Go itself has 16GB storage.

Since there is no physical media used in the PSP Go, games will be digital downloads. They stressed though that they are still completely supporting the original PSP and the UMD format. They see the PSP Go as an alternate choice to the PSP, not a replacement.

A bunch of great games were demoed. Uncharted 2 looked pretty cool as a third person action/shooter. Kind of like Assassin's Creed with guns and explosions. They showed a really cool online game called MAG, which has 256 players AT ONCE and they actually demoed it with a full 256 players live in real time. Just think Battlefield with 256 people.

Assassin's Creed II looks fucking pimp. The demo was great... it has some awesome new moves and contraptions to use... like Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine. Go check out the trailer. God of War III was fucking awesome. Just go see the demo footage.

Their biggest tech announcement was a new motion controller, similar to the Wii Remote but using a camera to track a sensor for 1:1 motion tracking. At first I thought it was just going to me a "me too!" kind of thing, but the demos they showed ended up being pretty cool. I recommend checking out the footage if you can find it somewhere.

Oh yeah, there was this other game called Mod Nation Racer that looked pretty fun. The coolest thing about it is you customize your character, car, and make your own race tracks, then upload them for others to play. The demo they showed was really cool so check it out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:58:31 AM by moggimus »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 04:08:10 AM »
So what did they say about FFXIII?
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

moggimus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
Well as was mentioned at the Microsoft conference it'll be released on XBox as well as PS3. At the Microsoft conference they did a live demo showing a boss battle and they even showed the Odin summon. Summons aren't just one-shots it seems, they'll actually stay and beat on the enemy with you.

At the Sony conference they played a trailer which was cool. We're looking at a spring 2010 release. They also unveiled Final Fantasy XIV ONLINE, which will supposedly will be out in 2010 as well.

Franpa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
Next was a new Mario & Luigi RPG game, looked pretty fun. I don't remember the name or whether it was for Wii or DS. Finally was the big one, Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii, which looked sweet. I haven't even played the first one so I need to pick that up.
It is for the DS and is already released in Japan. Mario & Luigi: Bowsers inside story.
Computer specifications:
Windows 7 RTM x64|Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ|ASUS P6T mb|6 gig ddr3 1600|500g SATA2 HDD|X-FI ExtremeMusic|NvidiaGeforce 8800gt 512MB PCI-E|Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply|Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 11:24:25 PM »
Well as was mentioned at the Microsoft conference it'll be released on XBox as well as PS3.

This is good news because XBox360 is a lot cheaper than PS3. I have no choice but to buy either one to be able to play the game. (And, of course, I can sell the console after I'm done with the game.)

Summons aren't just one-shots it seems, they'll actually stay and beat on the enemy with you.

Yeah, it was like that in FFX.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top