Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• April 21, 2019, 05:04:23 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CoD: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 23074 times)

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Modern Warfare 2 Intro Leaked; Airport terrorized
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 03:39:46 AM »
There are lots of men in the world who have gone around ruthlessly killing civilians.  Does that make them all cardboard-cutout villains?  I would guess that some of them are interesting (albeit evil) people if you got to know them.
What I meant was more that the scene was as pointless as a puppy kicking scene. It's just there to show us JUST HOW DIABOLICAL THESE GUYS REALLY ARE; in other words edgy shit. There's been plenty of stories where the villain does far-fetched shit like burn down the hero's village, kill his family and his dog, and shit like that - I think it's stupid that this sequence is getting attention just because you're the one doing the killing (Barring the improvement in graphic fidelity and sound of course)
But maybe your point is that after the atrocities in the beginning of the game, there will be no doubt in the player's mind that they are really bad people....which would be ironic considering the player had done the same stuff.
My point was more that they're showing these guys mowing down holiday makers to highlight how evil and fucked up they are so that you WANT to kill them yourself. It loses it's impact considering that it's basically setting it up so that you can murder the villains and feel completely justified in yourself for doing it. I think it'd be more powerful if you had a choice of taking the main antagonist in for his crimes rather than peppering him with bullets, but I imagine you'll just be told 'shoot this guy!' In which case every other FPS has done that without a scene like this.

I think my main issue is that people are saying this is deep shit or that it's trying to show war attrocities, as if we need a video game to do that for us. What point are they trying to make? We already know what terrorists are capable of and what they can and will do.

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 03:47:26 AM »
Heh, apparently Activision is on a witchhunt for these vids and is removing them everywhere. I updated the OP with a working link, but I doubt it will last long.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
I think my main issue is that people are saying this is deep shit or that it's trying to show war attrocities, as if we need a video game to do that for us. What point are they trying to make? We already know what terrorists are capable of and what they can and will do.

The problem with the scene is not that it shows terrorists doing exactly what we expect them to always do but the fact that the player is allowed to participate in the slaughter of hundreds of civilians.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
but the fact that the player is allowed to participate in the slaughter of hundreds of civilians.

...  while he's supposed to be the good guy. Complaining about mass-murdering in GTA would be silly because there you're supposed to be the bad man :P
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »

The problem with the scene is not that it shows terrorists doing exactly what we expect them to always do but the fact that the player is allowed to participate in the slaughter of hundreds of civilians.

And I suspect that, whatever story they make up about why the player has to participate will be a flimsy excuse for allowing the player to commit the atrocities.  It's obvious that the players who choose not to skip the scene are supposed to derive enjoyment from the slaughter...after all, as Nukey pointed out, it's a video game.  Video games are entertainment.

And before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not suggesting that the game should be censored or even that people shouldn't buy it.  I'm just trying to get people to take an honest look at it and see what is really going on.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials
Pages: 1 [2]

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top