Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• August 24, 2019, 01:31:35 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anymore Golden Oldies?  (Read 37348 times)

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anymore Golden Oldies?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 03:04:33 AM »
Depends. In a military shooter I kinda prefer "realistic" movements, meaning enemies taking cover and such. Having guys bunnyhopping and grenade spamming all over the spot would be more dull to me than shooting a bot with good AI that doesn't do stupid shit like that. The kills might be easier, but a lot less ridiculous and immersion-breaking.

Of course this is not true for a game like Unreal Tournament.
"heh, a sidenote, Id not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wont work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 03:53:08 AM »
Depends. In a military shooter I kinda prefer "realistic" movements, meaning enemies taking cover and such. Having guys bunnyhopping and grenade spamming all over the spot would be more dull to me than shooting a bot with good AI that doesn't do stupid shit like that. The kills might be easier, but a lot less ridiculous and immersion-breaking.

It's too bad they allow stuff like that.  Games that attempt realism should have realistic jump height and recovery time, realistic grenade reload times and available ammo, etc.  Then it wouldn't be an issue.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 04:10:00 AM »
Yes, but then odds are almost nobody would play them.
"heh, a sidenote, Id not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply wont work." - Gambini

Last.fm

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce dsert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
Well yeah but playing lone wolf in a multiplayer game seems contradictory. Then you might as well play an SP game where being a lone wolf is the game's focus - this means that the lone wolf-part of it all will be much better polished than in an MP game where there are many different options.

You're comparing apples and oranges: you cannot compare multiplayer lone-wolf to single-player gaming. And no, playing as a lone wolf in, say, BF2 is not contradictory. Also, playing as a lone wolf doesn't mean that you avoid having any contact with your teammates. You just don't want to get involved in squad-based tactics.

Even games that emphasise teamwork much more, such as ETQW, have a place for selfish players. Since you get points by accomplishing missions (which helps your team to win), you can simply take it as a competition against your fellow teammates because you want your name to flash on the screen saying "Sang has destroyed the Bunker Door".

Having guys bunnyhopping and grenade spamming all over the spot would be more dull to me than shooting a bot with good AI that doesn't do stupid shit like that. The kills might be easier, but a lot less ridiculous and immersion-breaking.

Eh, the very fact that you're trying to fight intelligent human beings provides much more immersion than killing AI opponents who behave in a totally predictable way every time you meet them. This is why you replay from scratch a good single-player game maybe only once a year or once every two years or something but when you've got a good multiplayer FPS you log in every day because every session is different.

The downside is of course that years after its release, a multiplayer FPS becomes useless because servers start to disappear. However, usually by that time you've already extracted way more hours out of such a game than you ever would from a single-player game.

Quote from: DeeperThought
It's too bad they allow stuff like that.  Games that attempt realism should have realistic jump height and recovery time, realistic grenade reload times and available ammo, etc.  Then it wouldn't be an issue.

It's not too bad and they should not because these games are meant to be only semi-realistic. Making them more realistic would only spoil the fun.

So far I haven't come across a single FPS that's realistic. For example, even Operation Flashpoint is pretty damn far from realism because of its character movements. If moving was that difficult, there'd be no use for infantry.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 04:07:35 AM »
Had a friend who used to play Tribes and Tribes2 online all the time. There was another FPS type game that had something to do with dinosaurs. I think it was Turok or something like that.

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 12:49:44 AM »
Well, installing Outcast! How handy to keep games in your clouset for 10 years. Only touched it like two times :D

edit: So far so good. Can't get music to work properly but that's ok. Wondering if there's a way to put mouse sensitivity up even higher.. I know it's not supposed to be a shooter but right now I have to roll the mouse around really hard like 3 times just to do a 90 turn which is a bit ridiculous - and the sensitivity is all the way up.

Also holy shit a lot of conversations going on, hopefully they won't bore me. So far it's cool though, almost like a deeper version of Unreal (stranded on alien planet, help silly aliens against their evil rulers..)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:49:55 AM by Sang »

Last.fm

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2009, 05:46:29 AM »
About Outcast - I find it infuriating that Slade walks so slowly in that green/blue mud. Very annoying especially because you HAVE to walk through it to get to some spots, is there a way to fix that or is it an actual feature?

Last.fm

Geoffrey

• AMC Staff
  • elitist faggot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 12:03:40 AM »
Don't forget to give the random map generator (as in: random map, same buildings) a spin, too :)
We'll build our own Tripods. Ours will have 4 legs...

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »
About Outcast - I find it infuriating that Slade walks so slowly in that green/blue mud. Very annoying especially because you HAVE to walk through it to get to some spots, is there a way to fix that or is it an actual feature?

CPU Killer program fixed it, I use version 2.05. Have to limit my CPU speed to 1496 MHz and set the affinity on CPUKiller and Outcast to use only one CPU... and bam shazam!

Last.fm

PencilPusher93

• "Kiss my shiny metal ass."
    • View Profile
    • Email
FPS Game Only
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 09:29:50 PM »
Hey,

I'm going to go on a spending spree sometime and buy a load of FPS games. I have a lot of old and new fps games. I would just like people to recommend some great FPS games of late nineties - early naughties.

Thanks.

Sang

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FPS Game Only
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 10:36:55 PM »
Must plays: System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Thief series, Unreal, Half-Life, No One Lives Forever series,...

Last.fm

Telee

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »
lol naughties

Do you mean PC games only? If so:

- Call of Duty 1 and 2
- Medal of Honor Allied Assault
- Battlefield 1942 (if you're into MP)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce dsert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »
Play CoD 2 and CoD 4, then give MoH a try and you'll see how great it is compared to all the rest.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"
Pages: 1 2 [3]

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top