Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• January 17, 2019, 02:17:37 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Doom mapping  (Read 55988 times)

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • MSN Messenger - ferno2201@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Doom mapping
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »
Anyone has experience making maps for classic Doom? When I was a child I used to draw Doom maps in a copybook. My dream was to make actual maps for the game. Then I started mapping for Duke3D and I forgot about Doom.

Some weeks ago I remembered this childhood "dream" of mine, so I decided to finally learn how to map in Doom. Downloaded Doom Builder 2 (which seems to be the most popular mapping software out there), watched some tutorials and started mapping. I must say that mapping for Doom is pretty easy and intuitive, at least compared to Duke3D mapping (well, that's rather obvious as Doom is a lot simpler).

Anyway, I already finished a map. Is anyone interested on giving it a try? Here are some shots:

It's supposed to be the first map of a 3 episode mega-WAD, with an original Doom feel to it.
Check out my Duke Nukem 3D speedruns!

Check out my metal band: Izkemia.

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Doom mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:48:30 AM »
Looks cool but where are the monsters?  ^_^

Doom 2 is the first thing i did maps for (besides battlecity and exitebike for nes and Stunt) I still have my very first map for Doom but the remaining ones were lost with my first duke maps. In those times I used DCK 2.2 (and i can asure you it wasn´t more intuitive than Duke). I tried to toy around with Doom maps again sometime ago but the fact DCK 2.2 doesnt work even using Dosbox and that in modern editors the nostalgia factor is missing, i got bored quickly.

I´m likely going to check your map one of these days, but contrary to what i feel about Duke, the real fun is in those cool total conversions for Zdoom.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:20:15 AM by Gambini »

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:15:11 AM »
Been wanting to do something with DoomBuilder for a while now. I'd love to give the map a try.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:58:39 AM »
OK then, here's the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?srsl9k06t007rku

You need the Ultimate Doom's IWAD in order to play the map (but I guess Doom's IWAD would do fine too). Note that skill levels are fully implemented. And please, feel free to report any bugs and/or give any feedback on the map. Remember that this is my very first Doom map :P

Oh, and a last thing: it won't work under original DOS version of Doom, as it has too many sectors (it throws the 'visplane overflow' error). I use ZDoom.

@Gambini: I played with nomonsters to take the screeshots :P Oh, and I would love to play your first level.

@Mikko: you have mapped previously with Doom Builder, or you're new to it?

Gambini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
My first doom level is utterly crap. I doubt you´d like to play that thing  ^_^

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
LOL :D How old were you when you mapped that?

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »
Nice little techbase map, my only complaint is that some of the lighting seemed a bit messy (some "shadows" were so bright that they seemed negligible). Oh, and a small bug shown in the attached screenshot.

@Mikko: you have mapped previously with Doom Builder, or you're new to it?

I haven't mapped; I have downloaded & installed the editor a billion times with the intention of starting something but always had something more important to map for than Doom.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:20:38 AM »
Thanks a lot for playing it and for your feedback, Mikko! I'll fix those issues.

As for the map's size, it's small because it's E1M1 :P I'm currently working on E1M7, which is halfway done and is gonna be considerably bigger. I'll post it here as well when it's done ;)

As for Doom Builder, as I said earlier, it's pretty intuitive and overall easy to use. The tutorials at doombuilder.com are about all you need in order to map like gods. Besides, you'll notice that your experience making maps for Duke3D will make things even easier.

Gambini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
Does it have 3d mode? older doom editors didn´t have.

I haven't mapped; I have downloaded & installed the editor a billion times with the intention of starting something but always had something more important to map for than Doom.

How many times i did that with a lot of level editors ^_^

LOL :D How old were you when you mapped that?

it was in 1995 so i was 13/14. Here I attached the map, suit yourself  -_- Did I already warn you the level is terrible? It doesn´t even have an ending and if you enter one of the buildings the game crashed (maybe Zdoom doesnt, i dont know). The later levels I did at least didnt have bugs but they got lost.

PS: the date says 3/10/95 so that means i´ve been mapping for 16 years now.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »
Quote from: Gambini link=topic=8816.msg227761#msg227761
Here I attached the map, suit yourself  -_- Did I already warn you the level is terrible? It doesn´t even have an ending and if you enter one of the buildings the game crashed (maybe Zdoom doesnt, i dont know). The later levels I did at least didnt have bugs but they got lost

Hah, you had an eye for realism back then already, judging by your severely constrained attempts to create furniture, home appliances and cars with Doom's limited tools.

Gambini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:38:11 AM »
Indeed  ^_^ For me it was like playing God´s role. I, being able to create the environment where would later play. I must admit i made my maps only for my own until Rush2k (included).

heh those vehicles were very clumsy  ^_^

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »
Well, the map is terrible, but not THAT terrible. Actually, I think it's pretty good taking into account that it was your first attempt of making a map for a 3D -well, 2.5D- game.

BTW, LOL at this :D

Known Bugs: All the level is a big BUG

PS: Yep, Doom Builder 2 has a 3D editing mode.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:08 AM »
PS: A shot of my progress on E1M7 :P

Gambini

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 09:14:54 AM »
Looks quite advanced!

Just wondering: what are the sector and wall limits in doom and zdoom?

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
Just wondering: what are the sector and wall limits in doom and zdoom?

I can't find a page where it talks about zdoom limits, but classic doom limits are discussed here:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Static_limits

Segs/sides/lines/subsectors/nodesEdit Segs/sides/lines/subsectors/nodes sectionEdit

The number of none of these things can exceed 32768 due to hard data type size limits in the map format. Practically speaking, the segs limit is always the first one hit, and thus imposes an even more stringent limit on the other entities, of which the number of segs is partially a function.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top