Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• January 19, 2019, 01:13:09 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Doom mapping  (Read 56042 times)

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • MSN Messenger - ferno2201@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Doom mapping
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
The WIP of which I posted a shot above has 4000+ segments, so I'm far away from hitting the wall limit. Besides, the map is about 75% done, so it's virtually impossible that I hit the limit at some point.
Check out my Duke Nukem 3D speedruns!

Check out my metal band: Izkemia.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »
Pretty sure that Zdoom has an unlimited mapsize limit...that would be pretty handy for Duke to have.

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »
Pretty sure that Zdoom has an unlimited mapsize limit...that would be pretty handy for Duke to have.

People would abuse it and make horribly performing maps with ridiculous amounts of detail.

Just think of what you could do in Lebuild...
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

Jan Satcitananda

• Just to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
I had tried mapping in Doom Builder 2 in 2009, but then gave it up because it was a pain in the ass to make some things, such as realistic lighting and complex geometry, even with the limits removed.

Here are some screenshots from my unfinished Doom map titled "FullFuck":

People would abuse it and make horribly performing maps with ridiculous amounts of detail.

I don't think so, because making high-detailed locations is highly time consuming (unless we use copypasting and various geometric tools); also any mapper should take care of the framerate. There's nothing wrong with extreme detail if it displays smoothly and is diversified enough. However some ppl may actually draw plans for ultra-long levels that will take them ages to complete until they discontinue them for a reason...
Lezing Entertainment presents The LAST PISSED TIME Chapter I

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »
That second screenshot looks crazy! :o It looks like voxel art. Could you please share a download link of your unfinished map?

As for me, I really don't care about making complex geometry in Doom; I like to make levels with an original Doom feel to it, just a bit more complex.

PS: Yep, it's very frustrating to try to make realistic lighting in Doom due to the engine's way to handle lighting, but in the other hand it's extremely easy to shade areas. You just shade the sector and voilà.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:07:40 PM by Fernito »

Jan Satcitananda

• Just to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
I didn't upload this anywhere, it's too short and unplayable, just an attempt to make some constructions. I'll post a link if I make something consistent later. A problem I encountered is that after I've customized the shortcuts in Doom Builder, I can't drag vertices anymore. And I don't see an option for vertex dragging key or even restoring the default keys.

I've played your map Fernito, it's kinda cool and feels pretty much like original Doom, I wish it was bigger though.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »
I didn't upload this anywhere, it's too short and unplayable, just an attempt to make some constructions. I'll post a link if I make something consistent later. A problem I encountered is that after I've customized the shortcuts in Doom Builder, I can't drag vertices anymore. And I don't see an option for vertex dragging key or even restoring the default keys.

That's odd. To drag vertices I just go into vertex mode and right-click-drag them (I'm using Doom Builder 2 though, not 1)

I've played your map Fernito, it's kinda cool and feels pretty much like original Doom, I wish it was bigger though.

Thanks! As for the map's size, as I mentioned earlier, it's because it is going to be E1M1 of my megaWAD.

I'm 99,99% done with E1M7, I'll post it later when I fix some small details :)

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
OK, guess it's done! As with the previous one, I'll be glad of getting any comments and/or bug reports.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wbo737tabfa5jav (updated)

PS: remember that it is E1M7, so type IDCLEV17 ingame to reach the level.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:50:28 PM by Fernito »

Jan Satcitananda

• Just to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
That's odd. To drag vertices I just go into vertex mode and right-click-drag them (I'm using Doom Builder 2 though, not 1)
Hmm, the right button doesn't work for me regardless of the mode. Can you tell what the right mouse button stands for in your options?

OK, guess it's done! As with the previous one, I'll be glad of getting any comments and/or bug reports.
This one took me half an hour. =D I found only one secret behind the crates, but somehow it was empty. What I found strange is that you're not using middle-sized (32 px) crates at all; there are large (64 px) and small ones (16 px) only. Otherwise, pretty cool map. Also it feels more Serious Sam-ish, thanks to a plenty of enemies, but imho there are too few medikits...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:13:11 PM by CraigFatman »

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
Thanks for your feedback! Yep, I put a lot of mosters and few medikits on it because it must have the feel of being the last but one level of the episode :P Maybe I'll add a little more medikits.

As for the secret, my mistake! The goodies inside of it only appeared when playing in hard difficulties. Of course that's not right, so I corrected that.

As for the crates, I only used 16 px and 64 px ones because there's no textures for 32 px crates.

Hmm, the right button doesn't work for me regardless of the mode. Can you tell what the right mouse button stands for in your options?

Right click ('RButton' in Doom Builder) stands for "Edit" in Classic mode, which description is "Edits the properties of the selected items or drags the selected items blah blah blah". That's the one you're looking for.

Jan Satcitananda

• Just to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 03:36:18 AM »
As for the crates, I only used 16 px and 64 px ones because there's no textures for 32 px crates.

There's a texture titled CRATELIT containing gray 32 px crate tiles; do you see it?  -_-

Right click ('RButton' in Doom Builder) stands for "Edit" in Classic mode, which description is "Edits the properties of the selected items or drags the selected items blah blah blah". That's the one you're looking for.

Thx, I've reset that setting to RButton and now everything's ok! It was set to [E] because that's the key used to edit object properties in LEBuild and I'm kinda used to it. I think they should have made separate settings for these actions.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 05:10:49 AM »
There's a texture titled CRATELIT containing gray 32 px crate tiles; do you see it?  -_-

Oh man, and I was so annoyed because there wasn't a medium-sized crate. I definitely suck at looking for things :P... well, thanks! If it weren't because of you, I'd still believe that that texture never existed.

Thx, I've reset that setting to RButton and now everything's ok! It was set to [E] because that's the key used to edit object properties in LEBuild and I'm kinda used to it. I think they should have made separate settings for these actions.

Nice! So you'll start mapping for Doom again?

Jan Satcitananda

• Just to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
Probably yes... I'm gonna make a map someday. Actually I'm making a location with a Doomish feel in the second chapter of Last Pissed Time, so having some experience at Doom mapping will come in handy.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
Anyone else wants to try E1M7? Mikko? I heard you complaining about E1M1 being too little :P

Probably yes... I'm gonna make a map someday. Actually I'm making a location with a Doomish feel in the second chapter of Last Pissed Time, so having some experience at Doom mapping will come in handy.

I'll be looking forward to both of them (the actual Doom map and the 2nd chapter of LPT).

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »
Took me 18 minutes and I too found only one secret (the empty one).

Really like the map's design, a noticeable step-up from e1m1, particularly in terms of lighting. (y)

As for gameplay, I found the level quite difficult. Doom mappers these days tend to fill their maps with tons of tough monsters but these maps give you enough health & ammo so that I die maybe once during a map. But I must've died at least ten times in your map despite the almost complete absence of tougher monsters (on Hurt Me Plenty). One problem is that this is an Ultimate Doom map, meaning there's no double-barreled shotgun, and you've got tons of scenes where there are tons of weak enemies at once, the kind of a situation for which the super shotgun was made for. The map has tons of shotgun guys who can do some serious damage with their hitscan weapons.

One particular scene was right after having gone through some slime to get to a switch, then barely making it out of the slime only to have to face tons of monsters in a tight hallway (see the first shot).

A second good example is the huge hallway before the blue key. The third shot reveals my ammo & health situation at this point. A hitscan weapon from afar can do some serious damage in this situation.

(The second shot just shows a bug I noticed, a sprite that's stuck halfway through a wall or something.)

(Oh, and I didn't complain about the first map being small, merely stating a fact.)
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top