Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• November 18, 2019, 08:32:41 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some questions, and a few bugs.  (Read 17409 times)

Somagu

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions, and a few bugs.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »
Expert is suitably hard, I think. Especially for Merlijn and Sang because of the nature of their weapons and max HP, in the case of the latter. Pigcops are my bane.

I'll remember that about leaning, but how do you uppercut? Are there some other advanced techniques that I also have missed? I noticed a 360 kick while crouching in place of the roundhouse, and a dragon kick with a well timed jump kick. I also noticed that you can infinitely jumpkick off of nothing, before you fixed it, heheh.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
Uppercutting is achieved by locking onto an enemy with your fists - if you have no temp weapon and right click on an enemy when close enough you'll lock on and auto-face them no matter what way you move. When the enemies' low enough on health you'll automatically perform an uppercut.

There was an oversight with body-armour and shotguns; in the next version Shotgun pellets only deal 1/4 damage to armour instead of 1/2 which means that although body-armoured enemies will be even tougher against shotguns, so will the player's character (and of course headshots bypass armour anyway - pigcops can be killed in a single shotgun blast to the head) I'm most likely also going to code pigcops to deal less damage if they're a certain distance away - not ideal but changing their accuracy isn't really possible without ugly hacks.

There will be a research project for Sang that buffs his starting health level to 100 instead of 75 as it is now, but that's not in the game as of yet. Not sure if giving Merlijn a similar one would be excessive or not, but maybe an extra 20 or so health wouldn't be too crazy.

The melee moves off the top of my head are:
-360 spinning kick (Crouch + back + kick)
-Roundhouse kick (Jump + kick)
-Spinning kick (Back + kick)
-Jumping kick (Kick whilst jumping forward)
-Uppercut (attack whist locked on and enemy health low)

I am hoping to add more - Episode 2 will take place in China and have several research projects for more exotic attacks and stuff, as well as a Dojo research room.

Somagu

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
Wow, this is very informative for me, thank you.

Most the enemies weren't TOO much of a problem on expert (on megabase), as long as I didn't spaz out and run into their shots. But pigcops dealt a lot of hitscan damage with decent accuracy, other than that, I don't exactly look forward to the boss fights, as most of those took me multiple tries due to random instant kills!

Indeed, my biggest problem enemy as Merlijn (Or anyone) was the pigcops. He can eat a shotgun blast or two, especially with his shield, on lower difficulties, no problem, but on Expert, it totally shreds your armor and shield and you're left with nothing to fight enemies with, unless you use temp weapons and fight like a pansy.

While we're on ammo counters though, I assume it's intentional that not every character can tell how much ammo is left in a temp weapon mag? For example, Merlijn, Maarten, Zaxtor, and all of the temp characters except Jane. I'm assuming because in a lot of their cases it's because the character lacks experience with properly mag based firearms (van Oostrum brothers) or they simply don't care (Zaxtor, Cultist)? In any case, that does still leave John unaccounted for. I remember he can see mag count for his own weapons, so is that an oversight, or is he just only familiar with his own weapons?

HAHA, I had noticed the "Achoo! Watcha!" earlier when I was doing kicks as your character, James, but what I hadn't noticed was "You are already dead..." when I locked onto a target. Also, "BARE KNUCKLE!" and "SHORYUKEN!" :D

Mod just got a hell of a lot better, I'll tell you that much! It's the small touches like these that make me loving something all that much more. I hope you plan on everyone having a full complement of lines for all of this kind of stuff, and I sure hope everyone is willing to record them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:44:04 PM by Somagu »

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »
Indeed, my biggest problem enemy as Merlijn (Or anyone) was the pigcops. He can eat a shotgun blast or two, especially with his shield, on lower difficulties, no problem, but on Expert, it totally shreds your armor and shield and you're left with nothing to fight enemies with, unless you use temp weapons and fight like a pansy.
The shotgun pellet reduction also applies to the shield now, so it can take twice the damage from shotgun attacks (and certain other attacks as now) I have also increased the radius it protects from just a bit more so you don't have to be facing the attack as much to be protected.
While we're on ammo counters though, I assume it's intentional that not every character can tell how much ammo is left in a temp weapon mag? For example, Merlijn, Maarten, Zaxtor, and all of the temp characters except Jane. I'm assuming because in a lot of their cases it's because the character lacks experience with properly mag based firearms (van Oostrum brothers) or they simply don't care (Zaxtor, Cultist)? In any case, that does still leave John unaccounted for. I remember he can see mag count for his own weapons, so is that an oversight, or is he just only familiar with his own weapons?
John's an oversight, I'll fix that (y) That's pretty much accurate as to my reasoning behind it, and also to slightly discourage using those kind of guns as a magic/melee character (Although they exist for that purpose, I try to avoid using temp firearms as the Oostrums since that removes half the reason for playing them! :) )
HAHA, I had noticed the "Achoo! Watcha!" earlier when I was doing kicks as your character, James, but what I hadn't noticed was "You are already dead..." when I locked onto a target. Also, "BARE KNUCKLE!" and "SHORYUKEN!"
hahah yeah, they're a bit too quiet but I got a kick out of putting them in there :D
Mod just got a hell of a lot better, I'll tell you that much! It's the small touches like these that make me loving something all that much more. I hope you plan on everyone having a full complement of lines for all of this kind of stuff, and I sure hope everyone is willing to record them.
Indeed - sadly the other team members don't have much free time for the most part but I will try to get them to record VA. The more voices for each character the better (Rusty and Sang have the most taunts, but I have the most general lines as  I could make them as I coded stuff in)

Glad you're enjoying it - it hasn't reached a huge audience but most people who played it loved it enough to replay it several times which makes the effort worth it (y)

Somagu

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 04:14:43 AM »
I just found a pretty neat bug. While trying to think of ways to jury rig my way into multiplayer (I won't give up, damn it), I had found out that you can use the movement keys to select characters as well, not just the mouse, but when I tried it in multiplayer, it always seemed to pick one character to the right on clientside. Never found out why. Today I discovered you can also use the weapon select keys, 1-8, to select characters, so I tried this in multiplayer, but 1 and 2 would only select Cultist and John, the rest of the keys were non-responsive, but what I did notice was that once I navigated up or down from that top row using the movement keys, it would put me one character to the right! So I tried it in singleplayer, it happened with every character on the top row, like I thought, but when I did it with Jane, it gave me a null character! It's Jane's weapons with Zaxtor's graphics, but the temp weapons are where it gets really interesting. The FN FAL and AKM have the sawnoff reload hand off to the side of them, but that's not even the best one. Try picking up a police shotgun and firing it!

For another even more broken flavor of this bug, select the cultist and move one character left.

With that aside, Jane can't lock-on in melee.

I spy a texture of a certain man on a bench. Dare I ask? On the topic of things from that region, is that Mr. Togo I see on the booze drinking achievement? I also distinctly remember an Elfen Lied poster in the loading screen for the very first level of IW2.

Testing the MP again with a friend, I taunted him as James, with him as Rusty, and I heard "Nailed ya, Rusty." You really put a lot into the small details. I like that, but it's only too bad so much of it is going to waste right now. :(

Hahaha, I just found a 'secret' temp weapon. TIME TO MOP UP!  :wacko:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:30:24 PM by Somagu »

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
I just found a pretty neat bug. While trying to think of ways to jury rig my way into multiplayer (I won't give up, damn it), I had found out that you can use the movement keys to select characters as well, not just the mouse, but when I tried it in multiplayer, it always seemed to pick one character to the right on clientside. Never found out why. Today I discovered you can also use the weapon select keys, 1-8, to select characters, so I tried this in multiplayer, but 1 and 2 would only select Cultist and John, the rest of the keys were non-responsive, but what I did notice was that once I navigated up or down from that top row using the movement keys, it would put me one character to the right! So I tried it in singleplayer, it happened with every character on the top row, like I thought, but when I did it with Jane, it gave me a null character! It's Jane's weapons with Zaxtor's graphics, but the temp weapons are where it gets really interesting. The FN FAL and AKM have the sawnoff reload hand off to the side of them, but that's not even the best one. Try picking up a police shotgun and firing it!
That's interesting, I'll take a look - I thought the game would blow up if you played as a null character heh :D It's too bad the art tiles are limited to 60 though as there's potential for many more future characters. The temporary ones will be expanded in future episodes though (And the Cultist will probably be replaced, either that or made into an actual character)
With that aside, Jane can't lock-on in melee.
I'll take a look, thanks (y)
I spy a texture of a certain man on a bench. Dare I ask? On the topic of things from that region, is that Mr. Togo I see on the booze drinking achievement? I also distinctly remember an Elfen Lied poster in the loading screen for the very first level of IW2.
I couldn't remember what man you meant until suddenly I realised which man :D You should try out HardG at MSDN, it was a project me and Geoffrey made for april fool's a few years back. It's...an interesting experience. Yes that was Golgo on the picture, and I did have an Elfen Lied poster in IW2 - I really liked that show but if I watched it again I'm sure I'd hate it since I've gone off of the majority of anime now and I'd rather keep my nostalgia goggles on for it heh (But I still love the older OAVs like CyberCity OEDO, AD Police and Angel Cop as well as films like Spriggan)
Testing the MP again with a friend, I taunted him as James, with him as Rusty, and I heard "Nailed ya, Rusty." You really put a lot into the small details. I like that, but it's only too bad so much of it is going to waste right now. :(
Thank you :) Character-specific DM taunts was one of those really good ideas that were made up in our testing sessions. Most characters apart from Zaxtor, Mikko and Rusty have them. If/when MP gets fixed up than I'll resume bugging the others to make some!
Hahaha, I just found a 'secret' temp weapon. TIME TO MOP UP!  :wacko:
Haha I was hoping somebody would find it :mellow: It was Rusty's idea, I was like 'really? a mop?' but then he made the art, I coded it and it turned out to be a pretty hilarious idea.

Somagu

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »
Haha yeah I remember HardG.

Mostly small nitpicks this time.

MP40 and M16 don't appear in the physical armory, hellish weapons don't appear in the loadout screen.

Sang takes his rings off for fisticuffs, and his right hand ring changes to his left hand's for a moment during the temp weapon reload animations.

Uzi and Glock's temporary upgrade bars disappear during reloads, intentional, I'm assuming.

There's a lot of cutoff of weapon sprites while running/looking down, which is fine. But it's less fine for Geoffrey's explosive discs. When you rear back for a throw, his arm just stops!

I can't load any of my damn saves arrrgh I'm going to assume this is my own problem for now.

I like that almost everyone has different graphics for their scuba gear being worn (indeed, and a different theme for their inventory in general, with unique holoduke replacements, etc.), but how come yours lasts around 66% longer than anyone else's scuba gear?

More small touches I like: Jane immune to fire, and I think explosions?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:35:41 AM by Somagu »

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Hmm, the M40 and M16 definitly should do but the Hellish weapons not appearing is intentional. Since so far there's no way to bring items through the portals, hence why you lose your equipment when you go on. There's a strong chance of an artifact appearing in the future which will let you keep your equipment (and let you take the hell weapons back to base for the loadout screen)
Sang takes his rings off for fisticuffs, and his right hand ring changes to his left hand's for a moment during the temp weapon reload animations.
I'll fix the reload bugs (should of caught that, thanks!) but I like to imagine Sang takes his rings off (very quickly :D) so he doesn't damage them when fighting. I'll probably add some brass knuckle items or something at some point.
There's a lot of cutoff of weapon sprites while running/looking down, which is fine. But it's less fine for Geoffrey's explosive discs. When you rear back for a throw, his arm just stops!
Yeah, I should fix them but it's difficult for many sprites. It's stuff that has to be done though in anycase :)
I like that almost everyone has different graphics for their scuba gear being worn (indeed, and a different theme for their inventory in general, with unique holoduke replacements, etc.), but how come yours lasts around 66% longer than anyone else's scuba gear?
I like aquatic adventures so I carry around a larger airtank - in retrospect I should of made other characters have larger items like maybe Mikko has a longer lasting jetpack.
More small touches I like: Jane immune to fire, and I think explosions?
She's wearing a complete power-suit, which is like the Envirosuit the other members can wear but nowhere near as heavy. It gives the same protection as the suit which means she's really resistant to damage (but AP stuff will do twice as much damage, meaning only a couple of shots from them are needed to kill her)

Somagu

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 03:26:57 AM »
After following a hunch, I found the secret level. Is there any point to it or is it just supposed to be a badass slaughterfest?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 04:14:39 AM »
Badass slaughterfest! I thought it was too silly to tie a pickup or bonus thing into, it's just a little extra arena to use up your weapons and stuff before going into Abyss (Although it DOES earn you a decent amount of credits for the second part of the episode as well as base budget)

Somagu

• AMC TC member/guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
I can understand why Jane can't roll, but how come she can't aim down sights? Is this intended?

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:46 PM »
No, she should be able to - the temp characters other than John weren't really polished at all since they weren't being used in Episode 1. I got lazy and used some of the Enviro-suit code for her to make her invulnerible to certain things but it had the side effect of disabling rolling and iron-sights.

She and Maarten will be getting an overhaul for Episode 2 (And the Cultist will probably be replaced, or given unique art and some more stuff!) (y)
Pages: 1 [2]

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top