Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• February 23, 2019, 06:43:23 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wanting to map again  (Read 29432 times)

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wanting to map again
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
A map with TROR that works in software can actually impress the player because the game looks like the old days but there are two story buildings and such. A map with TROR for Polymer, firstly forces the player to use Polymer, and secondly doesn´t impress the player, because Polymer looks like a modern engine and all modern engines allow room over room constructions.

Revenant

• Enlightened
    • MSN Messenger - amund_deathmetal@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
Personally, I've never been a fan of the OpenGL and hardware rendered stuff in duke. Most of it has to do with how out of place sector shading is in that environment. The shades become too bright and lose their contrast. I can see how there was a need for polymer. It's just too bad that it doesn't work optimally right now.

8-bit just has a more uniform look to it because of the palette and how the shading follows that. Of course, the nostalgia factor is a heavy element and is probably why most of us are biased in that regard.

TROR is what I was really waiting for back in the days, and it's going to be exciting to see what I can do with it!

So how do people work with 8-bit nowadays? I'm thinking of importing/exporting graphics from .art files, or is it all about .def these days?

By the way: it's great to see that there is still some activity over here :)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »
Not many people use .def files and if they do, it's for hi-res graphics.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • MSN Messenger - mickel999@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »
IMO the tilefromtexture command is just as good for 8 bit art as art files are. WGRealms 2 uses it for new tiles since the original episode 1 release, including the Korax boss at the end of WGRealms 1 episode.

One day polymer will truly support the original pals and shading just like the classic renderer, then all the classic guys will have no excuse not to move over to polymer.

Herbs? Tell me more!

It's quiet... a little... *too* quiet.

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »
One day polymer will truly support the original pals and shading just like the classic renderer, then all the classic guys will have no excuse not to move over to polymer.

Only the best reason not to: Polymer doesn't look like Duke3D. If we cared about D3-like lighting effects we'd have moved on to other engines a long time ago instead of sticking with the horrible Build editor.

When people map for Quake, they don't map for Tenebrae. Few Doom usermaps recommend the coolest looking ports to be used.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
I wasn't thinking about the dynamic lights, they can easily be completely disabled. I just meant that one day it'll look exactly like the classic renderer without the fake perspective when looking up and down that gives some people a headache. Once that's no longer an issue, and once performance is no longer an issue, what reasons are there left?
Herbs? Tell me more!

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

James

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - Jstanf36@ntlworld.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
Because some people still have old graphics cards ;) No dis-respect to any of the team since I know they're all very busy with their families and stuff, however I don't think performance improvements will be any time soon - that and if you're like me and have a shitty integrated card than no amount of improvements will help.

However, adding polymer support to things wouldn't hurt (I can think of a few harmless tweaks for polymer users I can add to the AMC TC)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »
I wasn't thinking about the dynamic lights, they can easily be completely disabled. I just meant that one day it'll look exactly like the classic renderer without the fake perspective when looking up and down that gives some people a headache. Once that's no longer an issue, and once performance is no longer an issue, what reasons are there left?

I have no problem with that, I thought you were talking of TROR and dynamic lights taking over Duke3D mapping, which will never happen.

Forge

• AMC TC beta testers
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
TROR is a nice little toy, polymer is just a gimmicky piece of eye candy. The team wasted all their time working on that when they should have been fixing multiplayer.

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
Meh, if polymer can draw in some young mappers, or old ones like Diaz, who can make good looking polymer maps with a good framerate, I don't see how that can be a bad thing for the community.

I don't see TROR being used widescale like in Parkade in many maps either, but even minimal use can be a great help in both practical and aesthetic grounds IMO.
Herbs? Tell me more!

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • MSN Messenger - ferno2201@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
Guys, I got this very bothersome issue with the latest Mapster32:

See the cursor is pointing the blue sector? Well, for some reason, if I try to make an action (example: modifying ceiling height) it will modify the sector behind it instead. Why does this happen? It didn't happen with the original Build.exe.

Check out my Duke Nukem 3D speedruns!

Check out my metal band: Izkemia.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »
Yeah I've the same problem, I think I heard it's better in Polymer or something. Annoying as fuck sometimes.

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:29 AM »
If it is what i think it is. Then, is at least, as old as Blown Fuses. Doesn´t happen in software and i´ve heard doesn´t happen in polymer either.

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:20 AM »
Yeah this is an old bug, I thought it was fixed by now. You just need to get really close to tiny sectors to manipulate them.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • MSN Messenger - ferno2201@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »
Thanks guys. Switching to 8-bit mode fixed the issue (y)

By the way, after some years of not opening Mapster32, and being used to Doom Builder's key configuration, it was a real pain in the ass to make even a square sector hahaha :D Anyway, after half hour or so I managed to make this (my first try on TRoR):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvDsj78UDTM&feature=youtu.be

Pretty amazing stuff haha :P
Check out my Duke Nukem 3D speedruns!

Check out my metal band: Izkemia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top