Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• August 19, 2019, 08:19:13 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wanting to map again  (Read 30097 times)

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • MSN Messenger - ferno2201@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wanting to map again
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 09:19:06 PM »
Seems like I'm getting the hang of TRoR in Mapster32 :P Here's another short test, this time with 4 "layers" of RoR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVGKxihWdmY&feature=youtu.be

By the way, there's lot of visual glitches when playing in 8-bit mode, I had to switch to Polymer in order to make it work flawlessly.
Check out my Duke Nukem 3D speedruns!

Check out my metal band: Izkemia.

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »
Ha! That´s some neat use of Tror you´ve done there! Too bad you´re not man enough to make it work in software. I read there´s a way to make things look flawlessly in sofware (like splittings the tror sectors in convex shapes).

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »
Oh, so is there a way? I didn't know that :P Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can make it work.

BTW, for some reason, software mode runs CRAPPY in my machine. Looks like it ran at 15-20 FPS. Is it again because of my AMD card?

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
TRoR test #3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSkO8vHGm5A

As you can see, when there's slopes involved, there's a bug that won't allow you to pass to the next "layer" unless you press the crouch key. I guess it's because the "falling height" is zero, don't know if you get what I mean.

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 12:01:03 AM »
hah! You´re making things that truly do justice to TROR. I´m not kidding but generally the only thing you see is just a few rooms stacked.

Software runs slow on full screen because Eduke32 wants that to happen since a couple of years. But, I said this a millon times, if you have a widescreen monitor. Why don´t you run it in a window that fits the height of the screen, so it doesn´t look stretched.

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • MSN Messenger - mickel999@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
TRoR test #3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSkO8vHGm5A

As you can see, when there's slopes involved, there's a bug that won't allow you to pass to the next "layer" unless you press the crouch key. I guess it's because the "falling height" is zero, don't know if you get what I mean.

I'm guessing you used multiple sloped TROR sectors that span the entire room to pull that off? It looks pretty nifty, but it's not a practical design, not only because of the clipping issues you mentioned, but now you can't make any other child sectors in that room.

If you're going to want to pull of a bridge like that, I suggest using TROR scissoring. It's only 100% glitch free in polymer (the TROR surface shows up on one side in classic and polymost, which isn't a huge deal depending on your tolerance for visual bugs), but it allows the rest of the room to be used for other things, and probably saves a few walls and is generally easier and faster to build.

Sloped TROR sectors only clip at certain slopes, so it's good to play around for a bit and see what works.

For example, check out this bridge that I made in under 10 minutes. Absolutely no clipping issues. You can walk over and under with no problems. Its a bit crude, but it should look fine if proper care is taken with the circle tool.

1. Image in polymer

2. This shot shows the TROR surfaces so you know how it's built.

3. This is what happens with some angles in classic and polymost.

I've attached the map in case anyone wants to examine it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:59:12 AM by micky c »
Herbs? Tell me more!

It's quiet... a little... *too* quiet.

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Wow, I didn't know it was possible to have sloped... errr... "TRoR extensions" is the correct name?

The way I did consists in making several TRoR "layers". Here's an explaining video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgxlxHZRvsE

You're allowed to add more stuff to the room this way, but it's a lot of work to make all those layers.

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
Holy crap! That must've been a huge amount of work! Yes you can add sectors to the room, but you won't be able to raise them into other layers. On the other hand, you could make a lot of floating cubes at different levels.

The reason why you have to crouch to go through some layers is because some of them are too close together. They "should" be at least a Duke height apart, otherwise you may encounter problems such as that, and enemies don't work too well either.

You didn't know you could have sloped TROR extensions? Good god man play Parkade! It has a HUGE amount of different TROR examples. Some traditional, some of it pushing the boundary, but you can see what's possible. Explore everything and I'm sure you'll find things you like. (It's also famous for being updated a hundred times, and not too long ago Paul jumped the gun and updated it yet again without putting it past me, and it had bugs which means I'll have to update it yet again  :/ ) Here's the link: http://www.scent-88.com/reviews/P/parkade/parkade.php

Some instances of sloped TROR I've coined "TROR scissoring" both because it cuts into sectors, and because the shape the TROR surface makes with the sector floor/ceiling is like a pair of scissors. It's caught on pretty well  ^_^ I uploaded a guide in this thread: http://www.scent-88.com/forum/index.php/topic,51.0.html

Edit: btw note with the bridge I sloped the sector down from the top. If I did it from the bottom, the bottom sector would have a height of 0 which is bad. You also can't have child sectors in sloped extensions.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:44:18 PM by micky c »
Herbs? Tell me more!

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:14 PM »
Thanks a lot! I'll check out that map ;)

PS: so, if I understood correctly, there's absolutely no way you can raise child sectors into other layers??? Wow, that sucks :(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:50:15 PM by Fernito »

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
Well you can, but then it starts taking up more and more walls the more layers you go through.

Check out "sector punching" on the wiki: http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/True_Room_Over_Room_Mapping_Guide#Sandwiching_and_Sector_Punching
Herbs? Tell me more!

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
Well you can, but then it starts taking up more and more walls the more layers you go through.

Check out "sector punching" on the wiki: http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/True_Room_Over_Room_Mapping_Guide#Sandwiching_and_Sector_Punching

Wow thanks. What a relief! :D I thought it wasn't possible.

OK, I'll keep trying TRoR things next weekend. Thanks again for all the help.

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »
Software runs slow on full screen because Eduke32 wants that to happen since a couple of years. But, I said this a millon times, if you have a widescreen monitor. Why don´t you run it in a window that fits the height of the screen, so it doesn´t look stretched.

Oh, something I forgot to mention: Polymost also runs a lot better when in windowed mode.

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Yeah I always map in windowed mode. When I started out, fullscreen mode had a lot of problems like freezing/crashing. It's probably been fixed since then, but I've been mapping in windowed ever since.
Herbs? Tell me more!

Fernito

• Duke Nukem speedrunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 07:18:43 PM »
Yeah I always map in windowed mode. When I started out, fullscreen mode had a lot of problems like freezing/crashing. It's probably been fixed since then, but I've been mapping in windowed ever since.

Actually, it hasn't been fixed. When I go into full-screen mode in the max resolution (1360x768 or something like that) it looks all messed up.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top