Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• February 23, 2019, 06:48:57 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions about the new Build engine.  (Read 6499 times)

AltruismIsDead

• View Profile
Some questions about the new Build engine.
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
Hey guys... It's AltrusimIsDead/Victor, the on again off again Duke Nukem 3D modder, some of the people from AMC might remember me, MSandy, Rusty, James, Sang and apologies if I am missing anyone but they elude me at the moment.

Anyways, I recently seen James project and all the incredible stuff he has done with the open sourced eDuke project (or whatever the name is called) and what new vast improvements have been made over it, and what limitations it still has?

I've been working on various game engines that simple are quite... limited and unsatisfactory for the type of game/mod I am making.

While thinking about the Build engine, since I am the most familiar with it, I was wondering with the new additions if I can make some of these ideas implemented in the structor.

* 2-D Horizontal scroller?
- I am going back from my knowledge with the original unmodified Build engine, with the camera (security camera) to achieve this. By some how setting the character as a parent (or child) to follow the player from a 2-D playing field, in the vein of a 2D side scroller like a Super Mario Brothers game?

* Then since the build engine is a 3 dimensional playing field, if capable of switching angles, etc? Say once player leaves the detection box, it would shift to a different camera?

* Those are just a hand full of ideas that I was wondering that could work in order to make the game I've been playing.

Anyways like usual, thanks for any help.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about the new Build engine.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
There have been a few 2d sidescrollers under construction actually, I've seen bits of them on Duke4 forums but as far as I remember nothing has really been released so far. Changing cameras is possible too.

But I don't know anything about the technicalities.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • MSN Messenger - mickel999@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »
I'll just throw out some random enhancements/additions included in the eduke32 engine:

>Much higher sprite/wall/sector count.
>2 new 3D renderers that allow hi-res textures and models, the most recent one has shader effects like dynamic, coloured, shadow-casting lights.
>A new form of ROR that makes it relatively easy to create complicated 3D level geometry.
>An in-built sophisticated scripting language (con) that allows you to modify pretty much any aspect of the game.
>Lots of little features and bug fixes that are to numerous to list.
>It makes sandwiches.

You should be able to do everything you've talked about if you know your stuff.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:06:31 PM by micky c »
Herbs? Tell me more!

It's quiet... a little... *too* quiet.

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

Sang

• Moderators
    • MSN Messenger - sangmahn@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:19:04 AM »
How could we forget the great Victor? ;) But yeah making a 2D sidescroller is perfectly possible these days.
"heh, a sidenote, I´d not mind to clean her ass with my tongue after she takes a shit. " - Gambini

"Like a gay couple both have a penis but one will have to crouch and put the ass or it simply won´t work." - Gambini

Last.fm

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top