Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• September 18, 2019, 08:24:12 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [RELEASE] Duke Forces  (Read 17088 times)

MSandt

• AMC Staff
  • Je peux enfin respirer dans ce désert de neige
    • MSN Messenger - mikko.sandt@satabaana.net
    • View Profile
Re: [RELEASE] Duke Forces
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 03:44:15 AM »
Ok, finished the usermap episode. The action got a bit relentless toward the end so I hope the custom-made episode will be a bit more balanced.

Anyway, there are some things that I thought could have used more visual cues. What does looting do, for example? The shield could have more visual feedback too; now it's as if it's not there. In other games it's clear when the shield becomes disabled. In fact, I didn't even realize it's there until I started to get those bonuses. Also, you should definitely be able to see which key corresponds to which weapon (at least make it an optional hud element). It'd be different if there were only two or three of them but there are so many that you spend an entire episode memorizing them.
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 05:55:34 AM »
Fair enough. Looting has a random chance to spawn an item. I would prefer that it gave the player credits, and there was a place to spend credits, but that will wait until story mode.

Shield: It does flash green when you are hit and makes a shield sound, but you are right that there is no big sound or flash on the hit which depletes it. I can add that.

Weapons: Yes, I want to add a little graphic and text whenever you switch weapons, showing what you are switching to. This would be especially useful if switching quickly using next/previous weapon keys.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 09:49:18 PM »
I released version 1.1 of Duke Forces over at Mod DB.

Unless someone finds a major bug, this will be the last update in a long time, because I want to focus on developing the story mode and making some major additions. If you played version 1.0, the big things you will notice are: new hud display for switching weapons, new enemy to replace protector drones, a second type of blaster pistol, rebalanced enemy health amounts and improved enemy pathfinding.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 02:22:49 AM »
"What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and the impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?"

Gambini

• The madness never had a mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
Good review. I wonder how you played the mod, considering you haven´t mentioned Polymer at all. I know the mod looks a tad better with it, and I think it´s the supported renderer. In the first screenshot there´s a laser shot visible and it looks dark, which is something I noticed looks different in polymost/polymer. I doubt you will have performance problems this time, since Polymer seems to be much better optimized and you have upgraded recently.

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 07:11:39 PM »
I actually played it in Polymost but took the main page screenshot in Polymer because I updated the mod between the two and forgot to change the renderer. I haven't really tried any Polymer-heavy projects yet.

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 03:29:36 AM »
Hey Mikko, I finally noticed that you added a very nice write up on Duke Forces to your website. Sorry I didn't see it sooner -- I don't check there very often and I didn't get any notifications about it. I value your opinion highly and I'm glad you like it so far. I very much do want there to be a story mode, but it's still in limbo. There may be an interim update in a few months that focuses on other things.

Fissile Materials

MSandt

• AMC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 04:26:12 AM »
Sorry I didn't see it sooner -- I don't check there very often

Fatwa on you and your family :LAW:
Pages: 1 [2]

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top