Home : Downloads : Forums : Contact Us Copyright

AMC Web Forums

• November 14, 2018, 10:33:07 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [RELEASE] Alien Armageddon  (Read 1249 times)

micky c

• AMC TC member/guest
  • math man
    • MSN Messenger - mickel999@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [RELEASE] Alien Armageddon
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2018, 08:37:50 PM »
Ok I finished it. I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already. The first map was quite huge and spawling which was a plus, although as previously stated it was relatively tricky to navigate and it wasn't always clear where to go, sometimes feeling like you had explored the whole area without progressing. The two heights to play through was a bit different, given its consistency throughout the first area. I was a bit let down by the lack of extclut lighting which would have made several areas pop out more. Some areas also seemed a bit lazily done in that they were light on details (e.g no hand rails on stairs etc). There's nothing wrong with not having a lot of detail, but the detail level was inconsistent here due to the multiple author and DM map aspect. The  minor set-pieces of the new bosses and Bombshell parachuting in were good.

The flooded city was an absolutely fantastic concept, I've never seen it pulled off quite like this before with its open layout. Great atmosphere, good use of the jetpack. The mapper did a good job of making the area look bigger than it was without making it look fake.

James' maps were also very well designed, with great use of exclut for contrast that made the areas look very vibrant and interesting. The pack was certainly used to near its full potential. A good job of having large open indoor areas without having them looking empty, yet without putting in plenty of detail, which is a very good skill to have.

Overall some memorable encounters, such as with those vehicles in the cavern area. I expected a bit more enemy variety given the huge amount of art made available, but perhaps some of them only made an appearance on the higher difficulty setting. Bombshell's weapons were satisfying to use, and her voice acting was fine. It was good to see Proton throughout the episode and finally fight him.
IMO if the flooded city map had more extclut it would have been fairly consistent with the latter part of the episode, leaving the first map to stick out due to being different in both style and length. If this lighting had been added, and the first level replaced with something more focused, started from scratch, then the mod certainly would have both the consistency and quality of a professional, commercial addon. I'm not saying the first level should have been replaced, rather that the inconsistency is extremely noticeable. Otherwise the gameplay itself and the new art was pretty solid and fresh.

I guess I did have more to add.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's been fixed, but with one of the airlocks in the final map where you have to switch characters, one of the doors moves slower than the rest of them, allowing you to actually move through without swapping.
Herbs? Tell me more!

It's quiet... a little... *too* quiet.

Contenido no disponible. La página que intentas ver no se encuentra disponible por el momento. Por favor regresa más tarde.

mrline

• Moderators
  • Mommy, there's a dinosaur in our backyard
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2018, 04:10:43 PM »
Thanks for your reviews Mikko and Micky! You guys make great points.

Glad you all liked Hard Rain. I always wanted to do a large scaled, more "realistic" version of flood zone and this was the perfect excuse to make it haha.

We did use all the new enemies (except the flying cycloid emperor) but some of them are arguably underused while others show up in every map. Every map introduces at least 1 new type of enemy though, which is cool.

As for the inconsistency between the maps, I kinda like how the episode starts with a familiar looking city map and then gradually becomes something else. It makes the later levels stand out more. I have to confess I don't have much experience with the extended palletes yet, this was the first time I've ever used them. So I didn't use it that much.

As for the first map, I think it offers a lot of replay value because there's so much to explore. I'm happy to notice that some people are starting to appreciate the open ended nature. :) 
Quakis: DP3 never took place in a city? ( can't rembeer actually )

Maarten: OMGWTFSTUCKINVENTILATIONSHAFT!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=374342&T=9052

Trooper Dan

• Mario Nukem Team
  • EDuke32 Special Forces -- Code Ops
    • MSN Messenger - deeper-thought@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2018, 02:32:46 AM »
Anyway, a review: http://msdn.duke4.net/revalienarmageddon.php

Thanks for the review! I didn't see this until just now, since I don't come by here much. As usual, your reviews are some of the fairest and most accurate around.

I hope you do a follow-up next year after we release a major content update.
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide." John Adams

Fissile Materials
Pages: 1 2 [3]

(C) 2009, Alejandro Glavic. http://www.amcwebforums.com Go top